FAs having buyer's remorse?

Super FLUF

Senior
Jun 10, 2011
The Company was "Incorrect" in its Statements, Admits APFA

Some Members are Calling for a Reballot

August 29, 2012

There's mounting concern among many who voted YES to AMR's Tentative Agreement (LBFO) that they did so because they were pressured by the APFA to ratify something that (1) clearly lacked information, (2) provided unclear language, (3) allowed for the changing of language during the voting process, and (4) at times misstated very important language altogether. This is not my assumption; this fact is supported by Leslie Mayo's 8/28 APFA Hotline Message, which states:

"AA was incorrect in stating that it would issue the lump sum check on August 31st," further adding that "In addition, the company's portion of pre-funding was contingent on both the ratification of the LBFO and the successful conclusion of the 1114 process."

Without reiterating the issues that led to litigation in 2003, let me emphasize that litigation could have easily been avoided had the union taken corrective action to address concerns that members' rights may have been violated during the 2003 voting process. It wasn't the union's actions that led to litigation, it was the union's unwillingness to correct those actions when these issues over rights became known.

Aside from members filing internal charges over the 2003 Restructuring, certain APFA Board members also took corrective action to address membership concerns by calling for an Emergency Board of Directors Meeting so as to vote on a Resolution to reballot the membership. That resolution failed 14-3. Had that resolution passed, everything we know today would be different. There would have been no lawsuit and there would be far less distrust and discord.

Today, as we face a reenactment of 2003, the APFA Board has, by their own admission, the authority and the power to take corrective action so as to address concerns over the latest voting process. All the Board has to do is call for an Emergency Board of Directors Meeting as they did in 2003 and pass a resolution to reballot the membership. Based on that action, APFA could then file an Objection with the Court prior to the September 5th deadline asking the court to ignore the LBFO temporarily until the union satisfies it's constitution. Taking this simple course of action will (1) rebuild trust that the LBFO is in fact the best the union can negotiate, and (2) send a message to the company that the membership is truly unified. Furthermore, it allows APFA to act in solidarity with the APA, which in this fight seems to be critical.

For years I've listened to union governance complain that litigation was a disruptive and destructive decision made on the part of a small group of "disgruntled" employees. Never once did APFA governance mention the fact that the union itself instigated litigation by refusing to take corrective action so as to avoid issues that clearly violated members' rights. Then, like today, members are pointing out these issues in the hopes that our union takes corrective action.

Lastly, there's a video which shows an individual terminated by American more than a year ago voting on the LBFO. Whether it represents an isolated incident can't be determined, but the fact that this individual was sent a ballot in the first place raises questions about the validity of the vote.

For those interested in seeing a Resolution to reballot the membership put forward, please contact your local APFA Chairperson.

There's also a Online Petition objecting to Judge Lane's acceptance of the LBFO on the grounds of misinformation stating:

"...many flight attendants were misinformed by APFA on these roadshows that USAir was going to merge during bankruptcy and they would not keep the LFBO for 6 years, but only a short time until the contract with USAir was implemented. APFA furthermore did not inform the flight attendant of the specific final language of the LFBO, which many did not know needed to be decided on yet. Furthermore, APFA told flight attendants the merger was more likely to happen if they voted for the LFBO, which is not the case."

Rock Salomon
BOS

It is precisely having an LBFO for the pilots that is as full of holes as swiss cheese that is causing many pilots to not agree to anything until the full and complete answer is known.
AA's reorg itself and the possibility of an AA-US merger leave way too many unanswered questions, including how to overcome the significant revenue disadvantage that AA and US face alone and will not quickly go away even in a merger.

Good for the pilots who aren't willing to sign blank checks and empty promises which are nothing more than invitations for labor to continue to take it in the shorts.

Reactions: 1 person
Nice try fluff. Rock is nothing more than a pot stirrer. First off, the lump sum will be in our pockets on sep 21 if the judge approves on or around the scheduled date of 9-14. AA thought the judge would be faster, he isn't. The company portion of prefunding was always preconditioned on a successful resolution to the 1114 case for the retirees, nothing new here. Rock would be much happier in his life if he took the VEOP, no more stress, even if it is self induced. By the way, we had over 3000 f/a's probably get ballots, but they were in dues arrears and not eligible. They could have paid and had their vote count, or not pay and had their vote not count. Their choice, but they have till 5 days before the vote deadline to pay the full amount. So they had to be mailed a ballot, just in case. On the contrary, it is many a pilot that is singing a different tune at work lately. Guess all the current and ex-wives are starting to get fearfull that their cash spigot might start slowing down soon. Who knows. Best of luck to all. At least I know I can find a job to replace my salary if the going gets to be too tough around here. Can't say the same for all job functions. By the way, this is the first "sniff" I've smelled of this at work. This must be VERY low key and not really believed in too much. Plus APFA hasn't mentioned it at all.

Reactions: 2 people
Anything from Rock Solomon goes in one ear and out the other. He maybe speaks for the 5 or so people who voted for him in the last APFA election.

Reactions: 3 people
Nice try fluff.

I don't know what you are implying I was "try"ing for, but the thread was titled as a question.

I don't know who Rock Solomon is, and the way he wrote the missive seemed to suggest he spoke for many FAs.

On the contrary, it is many a pilot that is singing a different tune at work lately. Guess all the current and ex-wives are starting to get fearfull that their cash spigot might start slowing down soon.

Not really. Maybe if you're flying ORD widebody, they are and always have been clueless and concessionary for their own self interests, even after their own base has been decimated.

Been flying with many different pilots. In OPS and elsewhere, the NO voters I've seen have been consistent and most YES voters are onboard given that most voted YES just to support another tactic for the LCC deal, not because they support Horton.

Rock just likes to hear himself speak. He is for no one but himself. People are running for the doors as fast as possible on my side. AA says that the response has been extraordinary, and that is within 2 days of the VEOP being opened. Recalls being sent out, as if people thought AA would give non employees free money. HAHAHAHAHA. Makes me laugh every time I think about it. I would say there is NO evidence of buyers remorse. All I hear at work is non AA stuff or happiness about people's plans after leaving this dump. It is quite refreshing not having to discuss AA on the plane every waking second.

Reactions: 2 people
It is precisely having an LBFO for the pilots that is as full of holes as swiss cheese that is causing many pilots to not agree to anything until the full and complete answer is known.
AA's reorg itself and the possibility of an AA-US merger leave way too many unanswered questions, including how to overcome the significant revenue disadvantage that AA and US face alone and will not quickly go away even in a merger.

Good for the pilots who aren't willing to sign blank checks and empty promises which are nothing more than invitations for labor to continue to take it in the shorts.

+1....

I hope we have several thousand take the early out (if you can call a 70 year old retiring an "early out"), anyway I dont have buyers remorse, I just worked 2 trips and no one seems to be concerned either way about the vote. Ive thought for several years that we probably would go into chapter 11, how can we compete with all the other airlines with no pensions, poverty wages, faa min work rules, transcon turns, non union etc, the reality is we have to compete with these other airlines or go under. (not to mention the international airlines). The govt is not on our side and probably never will be again. We still stay at very nice downtown hotels,(on longer layovers) decent work rules, ability to drop unlimited trips, etc. These things are about to end. I would have taken the little 40K (before taxes I know!) but i need one more year to be eligible. Anyway if this is what it takes to finally get off the bottom of the seniority list then so be it. I worked for one of the low cost carriers back in the 90s, until we shut down. No union, faa min work rules (which were violated by the company whenever they wanted). If the APFA was as concerned about the junior FAs as they were the super senior fas, then it might have been voted down. Reality is there are people who would take this job for half of what we make even after the new contract kicks in. Of course we would have a high turnover rate (which AA would probably love anyway). I think the reality is sinking in finally that the old days are not coming back. I would think the ex TWA fas would be all over this,(the early out) some are im sure (if they can afford it). but some actually think they are getting their bidding seniority if we merge with US (dont know which galley that got started in LOL). Nothing against US but I dont want to merge with any airline with super senior fas because i will be pushed down the seniority list permanently. im already over 50. I do not want to be doing this at 60 and will not. Im hoping we have another "early out" after the merger.( assuming it happens). The reality is what it is. This is going to be more like a temporary job like the airlines really wanted it to be anyway. I still like my job im aware of why were in this situation and accept it for what it is. I hope AA comes back and retakes alot of our markets and kicks ass and dominates again like it used too. With the lower costs i dont see why it wont? But i also think we need new management to pull if off.

I think the reality is sinking in finally that the old days are not coming back.

But i also think we need new management to pull if off.

Agree that the old days are gone.

And as biased I may be, you just got a new management team...

With one or two exceptions, there's been almost 100% turnover at the senior and executive VP level. All of the management layers have been churned. Lots of people gone, lots of people in new jobs.

So far, the revenue numbers (which have nothing to do with labor costs) have been promising. I'd be a little more willing to give them a chance to see what they produce.

Changing management teams again might not be the answer -- as badly as some people saw the legacy UA team, I can't say I'm impressed with how the "new" team is doing. They've got a new headquarters, and a new image, but they certainly haven't been hitting on all cylinders for the past six months. You can blame the IT switchover, but it goes a lot deeper than that.

There is one senior one left E.

Maybe you have a different opinion, but personally I see him as one of the most worthless given past performance and patting himself on the back the entire time.

However, I understand the concerns of the money people involved wanting to keep somebody around even if they aren't impressed with him for continuity.

The only FA's I hear complaining, are the ones that can't fly 2 trips a month, they should probably leave AA anyway. AA isn't a social welfare agency.