Fatal Northwest Ramp Accident At Orf

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Surprisingly little media coverage on this far and little info on the Northwest board.

A ramp agent for Northwest at Norfolk has died of injuries incurred Friday during an accident on pushback. The towbar disconnected from the aircraft; the tug then lunged forward and hit the plane.

As trite as it is to say it, but amid all the morale and and other issues, let's keep life's really important things in mind. And everyone, please work safely.

Here is the story:

Airport worker dies from injuries sustained in Friday accident
02:21 PM EDT on Sunday, September 14, 2003

Associated Press

A Northwest Airlines worker died from injuries suffered on the flight line at Norfolk International Airport, the airline said Sunday.

The company identified her as Denise Bogucki, 43.

Northwest spokeswoman Cristy Cote said Bogucki was injured while preparing an aircraft for departure about 7 p.m. Friday.

"Fellow Northwest employees rushed to aid Denise. Regrettably, the injuries she sustained claimed her life," Cote said.

An airport spokesman said that Bogucki was injured while pushing a Northwest plane away from the gate with a ground tug.

A towbar used by the ground tug became disconnected from the plane and the ground tug then hit the aircraft, fatally injuring Bogucki, the airport said.

Bogucki was taken to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital where she died from her injuries.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

This should make everyone aware.
Our safety has got to come first and formost.
It is not worth getting that flight out ontime if you are not going home to YOUR family afterwards.
Is your equipment safe? Make sure. We need to go home at night

i am Dennie's son, to start it is hard to loose such a wonderful person at 23 or any age at that matter, and i want to tell everyone, as important it is to work safe, my mother was a wonderful worker who knew her job. I say that because with her death there is a lot of, "work safe, work safe" going around, and i want to be sure that there is no misinformation about the work my mother did. She WAS a safe worker, but sometimes that's not enough. I am not going to claim to know exactly what happened, i don't think anyone ever will know. I grew up in the NWA family i knew almost everyone my mom worked with and heard stories everynight. I feel that some of their unheard/denied complaints at ORF station MAY have contributed to her death. But with that i am not personally employeed with the company, and i am not going to point fingers directly, though...

so everyone take care, thank you for all the support,
steven graeff
[email protected]

I'am very sorry for your loss..I'am sure your mom was very professional in her work. I've seen several accidents with employees in this industry, saftey is paramount for all... on time departures are a plus only if completed safely.
Take Care, bless you and your family.