Father's religious beliefs central to trial in daughter's death

Garfield1966

Veteran
Apr 7, 2003
Texas
I saw this on TV this morning and I thought I would post.

Not sure where I stand on this. On the one hand I firmly believe it is the governments responsibility to protect the young. An 11 year old does not have the ability to make an informed decision about her medical care and it is the responsibility of the guardian to make sure care is provided. I do not like the idea of depriving anyone of their religious beliefs or having the government trample on parental rights. I am not sure how to make sure that girls like Neumanns do not suffer for lack of basic care while still protecting parental and religious rights.

As far as Neumann is concerned, I hop they throw the book at the SOB.

Faith healing gone bad

Dale Neumann next up in faith-healing homicide trial

Wisconsin dad on trial

Dale Neumann told a Bible study friend he considered his daughter's illness "a test of his faith," Leonhard said.

I reminds me of the joke about a guy dying in a flood and getting to the gates. He asks god why he was not saved? He said he pryas and goes to church and expected prayer to save him. God responded, "I sent you police car, national guard hummer, and Coast Guard boat and a rescue helicopter. What more help did you want?"

I suspect if it was a test of anything, it was a test of intelligence and he failed by killing his daughter. Unfortunately his daughter had to suffer because of her dad's ignorance.

I saw this on TV this morning and I thought I would post.

Not sure where I stand on this. On the one hand I firmly believe it is the governments responsibility to protect the young. An 11 year old does not have the ability to make an informed decision about her medical care and it is the responsibility of the guardian to make sure care is provided. I do not like the idea of depriving anyone of their religious beliefs or having the government trample on parental rights. I am not sure how to make sure that girls like Neumanns do not suffer for lack of basic care while still protecting parental and religious rights.

As far as Neumann is concerned, I hop they throw the book at the SOB.

Faith healing gone bad

Dale Neumann next up in faith-healing homicide trial

Wisconsin dad on trial

I reminds me of the joke about a guy dying in a flood and getting to the gates. He asks god why he was not saved? He said he pryas and goes to church and expected prayer to save him. God responded, "I sent you police car, national guard hummer, and Coast Guard boat and a rescue helicopter. What more help did you want?"

I suspect if it was a test of anything, it was a test of intelligence and he failed by killing his daughter. Unfortunately his daughter had to suffer because of her dad's ignorance.
Deshaney vs. Winnebago County Department of Social Services
The supreme court ruled in 1989 that it is not the duty of the state to protect the individual. Next time you see "to serve and protect" on the side of a police cruiser ask yourself: to serve and protect who?
I'll give you a clue: the business interests of the state.