Federal Judge Strikes Down Part Of Scott Walker's Anti-Collective Bargaining Law

SparrowHawk

Veteran
Nov 30, 2009
I just found this courtesy of the fine folks at Forbes,

Federal Judge Strikes Down Part Of Scott Walker's Anti-Collective Bargaining Law

A Wisconsin federal district court judge has ruled that some key elements of Wisconsin’s Act 10—Governor Scott Walker’s anti-collective bargaining law—violates the equal protection rights of affected state employee unions.

The ruling extends to the law’s prohibition of automatic dues collecting and the requirement that the affected unions hold annual recertification elections requiring a majority of the union’s workforce members.

At the heart of the court’s ruling is the exemption Scott Walker gave to police and firefighter unions who remain free to automatically collect membership dues and require no annual recertification vote.

Walker has long claimed that these unions were given special treatment because the state could not afford a strike or any disruption of the critical services provided by police and firefighters as a result of being saddled with the restrictions placed on the general service unions.

The remaining unions have never bought the explanation, believing that the exemption was payback for the support given to Walker’s candidacy by the police and firefighters. Clearly, Federal District Judge William Conley agreed, writing in his ruling published today,

This article is very well done. In fact I'm going to include the link as it seems to address the issue in an unbiased way. A rarity in these times. Whole Story HERE

I have NEVER been a fan of Scott Walker. While I think the budget needed to be balanced and by extension the Unions needed to face reality, the ham handed way that Walker went about these goals was not in his or the States best interest. To me Scott Walker represents everything that is wrong with the Republican Party.

The law as I read it was more to punish labor then it was anything else. Are some of the provisions working? YES they are, but at what price? What have the citizens of WI given up to achieve some of the more worthy goals of the law?

This was great news to read. I think it shows that his overreach wasn't just something ginned up by the left.

Regardless of how one feels about unions, Walker has been an epic failure on many different fronts, from lack of jobs created, to the environment, to the stripping municipalities of their autonomy.

His recall can't come soon enough.

Whether or not you agree with Walker, at least he's trying to do something to curb government unions bloated pay and pensions and me, as a Federal and Georgia government share-holder believe it's time for government employees to fall in line with the real world.....................Greece anyone ?

Whether or not you agree with Walker, at least he's trying to do something to curb government unions bloated pay and pensions and me, as a Federal and Georgia government share-holder believe it's time for government employees to fall in line with the real world.....................Greece anyone ?

Barack Obama is "trying" to address run away Health care costs? Are you OK with his version of Government Over Reach?

Government Over Reach is Over Reach no matter who does it. Stripping local governments of their autonomy and Individuals of their rights to join a union are no different then stripping individuals of their right to choose health care options.

Barack Obama is "trying" to address run away Health care costs? Are you OK with his version of Government Over Reach?

Government Over Reach is Over Reach no matter who does it. Stripping local governments of their autonomy and Individuals of their rights to join a union are no different then stripping individuals of their right to choose health care options.

Even when Joe Taxpayer is footing the bill ?

Wait til the TSA gets on their high horse, strikes and shuts down "EVERY" airline !

Wait til the TSA gets on their high horse, strikes and shuts down "EVERY" airline !

There are BETTER ways then the ham handed approach of Scott Walker.

Governor Chris Christie took on far more powerful forces in NJ and won without his battle without having and entire state take to the streets. Christie did things the old fashioned way. He negotiated!! Sure he was negotiating from a position of strength and he played the hardest hardball there is. One of the Union Leaders asked his members on TV to pray for his death, So it wasn't all hats and horns, Christie accepted a challenge and achieved his goals, something Scott Walker has yet to do, That's why Christie was a potential Candidate and Walker isn't.

I am 43.4 miles from the WI border and Scott Walker has the reputation as being a tyrant and that's coming from folks who know him and support him. If he's not careful on June 6th he could find himself unemployed.

A TSA strike would be illegal and they would end up like PATCO.

TSA boss says he'd fire security officers who strike

PATCO called Reagan's bluff and lost. The Language was crystal clear in that case and the right decision made.

What I find troubling in this is that IMO everyone is asking the wrong question of whether we allow the TSA workers the right to collective bargaining.

The question we should be asking is this: Does the TSA need to exist as an arm of the Federal Government?

In a direct screening capacity? I say NO! TSA should serve as oversight of private screeners. All Screeners would trained by the TSA & Licensed with random spot checks to ensure compliance. TSA should have a "Mystery Shopper" plan for monitoring check points,

Not sure what this has to do with Scott Walker unless you're citing this as another example of Government Over Reach?

Brought the TSA up because it has everything to do with government employees unionizing !

This is the "Walker vs. Government Unions" thread, isn't it ?

Don't confuse government unions with teachers unions. Teacher unions throw money at candidates to keep polititians away from their job security, tenure, seniority, etc.

The real world is that governments can screw new hires. My pension isn't going anywhere, because I'm locked into my tier, thank-you very much :p

Joe Taxpayer takes everything for granted. Imagine you taking your garbage to the dump and being charged accordingly. Imagine your streets and infrastructure falling totally apart. Joe Taxpayer is a winey ass drone that wants commodities but no new taxes or no taxes raised.

Proves what you know, government cannot strike. That's what got those idiots at ATC fired. :p

You don't have a Ronald Reagan this time.
Again, Dell, repeat after me: Reagan had nothing to do with the ATC workers being fired. They were bound by a no-strike clause, which made their strike an illegal breach of contract. They should have been fired from day one.

And again I hated Reagan!!!