Financing For Aircraft

UnitedChicago

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Are these two related?

United Airlines parent UAL Corp. (UALAQ) has set a hearing Monday on an emergency motion for authority to start the process of buying senior debt on some of its aircraft in a $293 million transaction.

and...

Subsequently in July 2005, the company added an additional $310 million to its unrestricted cash balance by utilizing the amended DIP facility.

As usual, I can only "quote" a rumor, since the company is not forthcoming with any rock-solid information about where we stand.

I HEARD that one of our 747's was repossessed early this week, and we're scrambling to cover holes in the schedule. Is UAL responding by buying the aircraft back(like we did some 767-300's in May)?

Anybody heard anything?

Heard today it was a fully loaded 747 on its way to China...take it with a grain of salt...the employee bus heading home tonight.

It was going DC to LAX. They replaced it with a 767 and a 319. I was there and everybody got on board and the flights left on time.

This is off of another board...the source isn't cited, that I can see.

14 More Planes in Danger of the Repo-Man
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WILMINGTON, Del. (Dow Jones)--United Airlines parent UAL Corp. (UALAQ) has set a hearing Monday on an emergency motion for authority to start the process of buying senior debt on some of its aircraft in a $293 million transaction.

The move would head off possible repossession of 14 aircraft and allow United Airlines to complete the restructuring of a 1997 deal to finance the planes.

Junior debt is already in the hands of the airline, which said in court papers filed Thursday and obtained by Dow Jones Newswires Friday that it "desires to take charge of its own destiny" as it gets ready to exit bankruptcy protection. [ 05-08-05 1554GMT ]

United Airlines said in a press release Tuesday that it plans to file the disclosure statement outlining its reorganization strategy in about a month.

Filing of the plan disclosure statement is the start of the confirmation process that could bring the Chapter 11 case that began in December 2002 to conclusion.

In court papers, United Airlines says it has an automatic right to buy the senior debt on the aircraft, giving it the upper hand in refinancing them.

Three years of talks with representatives of the debt holders have led most recently to the airline's decision to withdraw an offer to pay holders of the debt retroactive interest higher than the rate called for in deal documents, the company's lawyers said in court documents.

JPMorgan Chase Bank has agreed to ultimately fund the purchase by way of a refinancing, but United Airlines has to get control of the debt first, in order to offer the aircraft as security for the loan the bank has agreed to make, according to the documents.

In order to move before Aug. 15 to keep the banks from repossessing the planes, United Airlines plans to use its own funds to make the initial debt buy, before refinancing with JPMorgan.

In addition to the debt buy, the airline will be in bankruptcy court Monday asking permission to pay the lender about $1.5 million in initial fees on the loan. [ 05-08-05 1555GMT ]

The purchase to be discussed Monday in an Illinois bankruptcy courtroom is the second phase of a deal approved July 27 by U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Eugene R. Wedoff.

The judge allowed United Airlines to buy the junior debt connected to the 1997-1 EETC transaction to finance the plans.

With the junior debt in hand, United Airlines is entitled to get the senior debt as soon as it pays the purchase price, the company said in court documents.

The eventual refinancing through JPMorgan will allow United Airlines to cut the cost of owning the planes, court documents say.

spacewaitress said:
This is off of another board...the source isn't cited, that I can see.

14 More Planes in Danger of the Repo-Man
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WILMINGTON, Del. (Dow Jones)--United Airlines parent UAL Corp. (UALAQ) has set a hearing Monday on an emergency motion for authority to start the process of buying senior debt on some of its aircraft in a $293 million transaction.

This is what I was referring to in my initial post.

So now this 747 was headed to LA? First, China, then LA?

Sounds like nothing more than a rumor to me. Until it's confirmed - I'm not buying it.

Don't you think the press would be having a field day right now considering Tilton and gang botched the filing?

P.S. When are you all going to get TPG in here??????????????

It's true that a 747 was returned to the lessor. Don't be surprised if this happens in the future. Everyone's playing serious hardball with these leases.

ualdriver said:
It's true that a 747 was returned to the lessor. Don't be surprised if this happens in the future. Everyone's playing serious hardball with these leases.
[post="286490"][/post]​

Returned vs. repo'd is a big difference...

So wait, in the answer to my earlier question. UA runs a 747 only on a LAX-IAD return and nothing else during the day? Isn't that a little less than what it should be doing?

IORFA said:
So wait, in the answer to my earlier question. UA runs a 747 only on a LAX-IAD return and nothing else during the day? Isn't that a little less than what it should be doing?
[post="286651"][/post]​

Not necessarily. Sometimes they run a 400 between ORD & DEN. All depends on how many seats or how much cargo capacity they need on the route at that time and what aircraft are available.

They do use a very complicated yield management system to figure out what gauge aircraft works best, based on what we have available at any given time of year/season.

A hypothetical example would be a 400 that flies from ORD to NRT most of the year, but during certain months perhaps the cargo loads drop off and that route can be better serviced by a 777. Then it might make sense to fly a 400 between IAD and LAX if they can pick up extra mail contracts and fill the plane with payload.

Latest posts