first come first served

l8rd8r

Senior
Oct 21, 2005
I've had the opportunity to fly often on Hp metal and experience the FCFS system they use. First, WOW, I've had such a consistant positive experience with all employees. They are wonderful at AWA on the ground and in the air. On first come first serve...your able to list 12 hours prior and know that you have saved a spot for yourself and family, ok. Your number one. Your trip goes from point A to PHX then on to point B your final destination. (of course this is a connection issue) You woke up at 2:30 am to secure your #1 position. Your bumped off the first segment due to a full load. Here in lies the problem. Your automatically dropped off the whole segment and lose you spot down line. Even if the next flight gets you into to PHX with time to get the original second leg, you've lost your spot period. This sucks. Twice I woke up early to be bumped off the first flight. I rode jumpseat(first leg) to find that once I'd gotten to my second leg (PHX) I'd been dropped of the whole segmant and lost my SA1 status.

I was told the system doesn't allow for the originating agents to manually override this set up. What good is this if you can't roll it over?

I am UsEast, and have flown FCFS on West as well. I see at Least two more glaring problems. While trying to get out of PHX I could list myself on various US East flights to try and come east, but on US West I could only list myself on one flight at a time, I guess you can't be FCFS at more than one flight at a time. Also, What happens to those that are flying (WORKING) European flights, or Red Eyes, and haven't access to computers or phone lines so they CAN list themselves, FCFS, for their return flights home? As it stands now, seniority allows people to list on a flight home before they even leave the States. I am sorry but I think that is a huge discrepency in the FCFS policy, It doesn't allow for a level playing field like it says it does.

Just a couple more thoughts.

... except for the world's largest airline, AA, which boards FCFS.

And I somehow managed to survive it. At AA, if you missed a flight due to a full load, you carried your original check in time with you as long as the agent rolled you to the next flight correctly. Must be a SHARES thing if that's not happening at HP.

and the other way screws everyone that was awa - is that fair?

Some of my good friends have been at AWA for 20 years.. how will they get screwed?

AWA was "never" designed as a career airline whereas USAirways became one and I think the HP folks don't quite realize that yet, and the USAir guys need to realize mgt wants them out the door as quick as possible so they can replace the guy throwing bags making $17 an hour for one making $8.. so this wont' be an easy transition.

Regarding FCFS, I've been screwed time and time again by this -- as I have been bumped and they have NOT rolled me over, nor my buddy pass riders. One poor guy sat at the gate in BOS for *8* hours, only for me to see the list and call someone at US who then talked to another sup @ HP & moved him to the front of the S7's on the last flight (the others had checked in only a few hours before).

If FCFS is based ONLY on time of check-in AT AIRPORT, then I'm all for it.

But last weekend I was in St. John with some friends, had NO internet, no computer, and there were 20 NRSA's on my STT-PHL flight....

so with the current policies, I should only go on vacations to places with Internet now?!?!

And I somehow managed to survive it. At AA, if you missed a flight due to a full load, you carried your original check in time with you as long as the agent rolled you to the next flight correctly. Must be a SHARES thing if that's not happening at HP.

I used to work for AA at corporate and traveled all the time using FCFS. However, at AA, as you mention, your original check-in time rolled over with you to the next list.

Additionally, if you were connecting, you got put ahead of local check-ins at your connecting point. That helped against getting stranded at a hub (saved me a number of times going through ORD with the weather bad.... for the DFW connector put ahead of those who had been camping at the airport).

I also had the ability to fly cockpit jumpseat, and rarely did except by choice.

I am UsEast, and have flown FCFS on West as well. I see at Least two more glaring problems. While trying to get out of PHX I could list myself on various US East flights to try and come east, but on US West I could only list myself on one flight at a time, I guess you can't be FCFS at more than one flight at a time. Also, What happens to those that are flying (WORKING) European flights, or Red Eyes, and haven't access to computers or phone lines so they CAN list themselves, FCFS, for their return flights home? As it stands now, seniority allows people to list on a flight home before they even leave the States. I am sorry but I think that is a huge discrepency in the FCFS policy, It doesn't allow for a level playing field like it says it does.

Just a couple more thoughts.
Give me a break. I can use the same sort of arguments against seniority. What if I list for a PHX-PHL flight with a connection in PHL to anywhere...and I get on in Phoenix and it looks good for me to get to that wonderful European destination, too. But, while I'm in the air, a bunch of former Easties, with more seniority, decide they want to have dinner in Paris, or wherever. I'm screwed.

There is no 1 best way and it has nothing to do with cost -- it has to do with what we're used to and perceived un-fairness. Former easties have put in a lot of years and have stayed loyal through a lot of cr*p and therefore, they feel they deserve seniority. Former westies feel like they saved the east's collective a$$, and therefore don't deserve to go to the bottom of the list.

There is no right way, and there is no wrong way and whatever way is used there's going to be a lot of upset people. Which isn't good for anyone...employees or customers.

Hey, does anyone know for sure, is Delta non-revving by seniority??? If so, then AWA people that have been through thick and thin and held firm and loyal are really going to get the short end of the stick...

AND Segment King:

"But last weekend I was in St. John with some friends, had NO internet, no computer, and there were 20 NRSA's on my STT-PHL flight....

so with the current policies, I should only go on vacations to places with Internet now?!?!"

Chances are those other 20 non-revs didn't have internet access either -- if so, then you need to become friends with their friends! ;)

Also, one way around this is to call someone with internet access and have them check you in (most cell phones work in the Caribbean, now, and even if there's a charge, it's a small price to pay to get at or near the top of the list) Sure, it's a pain and you'll have to step someone through the on-line check-in process if they don't work for LCC. If it's a good friend, I've even offered a buddy-pass in trade if they're not an employee...

Seniority RULES!! :up:

Im not in this job for the hell of it-Hell management doesnt give a rats bottom,,but we should!

SENIORITY is it!

Im sorry but thats the way it goes- we did not ask for this merge, survival yes- If they want the senior agents out-Buy US OUT-and Im not talking piddly flying bennies-

Look at Ford, Good Year..

Unfortunately that type of salary we will never get- Why?
We're not CEO's.

The past morons STOLE all the money-so there is nothing left for us..

If I had to get into this industry today, after knowing what I know now-NEVER!

When I meet new people, they tell me it's such a glamour job!
Yea right here! :down:

and the other way screws everyone that was awa - is that fair?
Not all west folks are junior. Some have been here since 1984! ;)
Not all east folks are senior, Doug says we've hired thousands of new employees since announcing the merger.
It's all relative.
The fact is this industry is based on longevity, always has been. Some day you'll be senior...

I've been with HP since 1990 so I've got descent seniority and can see both sides of this argument. FWIW, FCFS has served me well for 16 years and other than a few isolated agent errors, I've always been rolled over based on my original check-in time. I suppose if I had a vote, I'd go for first come but if it goes by Seniority I'll live with it. It can be viewed as a perk for staying here as long a some of us have.

Chances are those other 20 non-revs didn't have internet access either -- if so, then you need to become friends with their friends! ;)

Also, one way around this is to call someone with internet access and have them check you in (most cell phones work in the Caribbean, now, and even if there's a charge, it's a small price to pay to get at or near the top of the list) Sure, it's a pain and you'll have to step someone through the on-line check-in process if they don't work for LCC. If it's a good friend, I've even offered a buddy-pass in trade if they're not an employee...

......and THAT folks, about wraps up the HP mentality! "ME,ME,ME" " I can beat you at the game".

"GOOD GRIEF, CHARLIE BROWN!"