Fleet Interior

UnitedChicago

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
As much as I find the "alcohol on the breath..." post stimulating - I thought I'd take a shot at seeding a bit more interesting topic.

I've been flying a lot of west coast trips and overall continue to enjoy and be impressed by the level of service. The 5:15 departure to LAX from ORD however is somewhat of a nightmare boarding process. It's a 777 that goes from B17 - not much room to que. This last week we had a 45 minutes boarding delay and then mechanical that brought us back to the gate. As annoying as it was - the crew from gate agents to FA's and pilots did all they could to keep us informed. Then, I got home last night and had a letter waiting for me from Pamela Coslet apologizing for the delay. VERY impressive.

Anyway - i diverge a bit. Despite the good service, I've noticed over the last 2 months that the interiors are really starting to show wear. Many of the seats recline on their own past the upright position - one of my pet peeves. Also - the entertainment system is spotty.

Obviously i understand why the cut back in maintaining the interior. However - any ideas on when it will be brought back up to standard? I know there's very little CAP EX spending in the plan - I hope it includes spending to eliminate these problems.

Thoughts?

United Chicago,

What you're seeing is the direct result of shutting off nearly all capital spending for the better part of the last 5 years. Airlines, like many businesses, decay without significant capital investment in ongoing assets. Airplanes are a great example. Nothing markets your product better (or worse in some cases) than a shiny new paint job on the outside, followed by a great looking interior inside, as well as a quality onboard product and service offering. Out of necessity, United has basically cut out almost all of that spending. And it shows, especially on the B737 fleet. Coming out of bankruptcy, I firmly believe that UA Senior Management knows that in order to be the competitive force in the marketplace that they keep talking about, they will need to start investing significant dollars in onboard interior and product/entertainment upgrades.

As much as I find the "alcohol on the breath..." post stimulating - I thought I'd take a shot at seeding a bit more interesting topic.

I've been flying a lot of west coast trips and overall continue to enjoy and be impressed by the level of service. The 5:15 departure to LAX from ORD however is somewhat of a nightmare boarding process. It's a 777 that goes from B17 - not much room to que. This last week we had a 45 minutes boarding delay and then mechanical that brought us back to the gate. As annoying as it was - the crew from gate agents to FA's and pilots did all they could to keep us informed. Then, I got home last night and had a letter waiting for me from Pamela Coslet apologizing for the delay. VERY impressive.

Anyway - i diverge a bit. Despite the good service, I've noticed over the last 2 months that the interiors are really starting to show wear. Many of the seats recline on their own past the upright position - one of my pet peeves. Also - the entertainment system is spotty.

Obviously i understand why the cut back in maintaining the interior. However - any ideas on when it will be brought back up to standard? I know there's very little CAP EX spending in the plan - I hope it includes spending to eliminate these problems.

Thoughts?

Sounds like what we saw at US Airways. It's still bad, but has gotten better as now there is money to direct towards that and repainting the airplanes, for which need painted BADLY. The blue tops look good fresh, but don't wear well.

It will get better. At least your company knows how to put on a Star Alliance decal. :rolleyes:

Jungle Clone,

You are spot one. Back in the day in Indy, out of C-check or Hmv the interiors were brought back to new. As a new hire in 97 I was amazed at the money put into the interiors. That goes with saying the money was put into the exteriors too. I will always believe in a direct relationship between the two.

Best regards,

Johnny Gearpin

I firmly believe that UA Senior Management knows that in order to be the competitive force in the marketplace that they keep talking about, they will need to start investing significant dollars in onboard interior and product/entertainment upgrades.

The big question is: When?

It is still comforting to know that our "worn" is still heads and shoulders above US. Hey, did you guys get real glasses yet?

I firmly believe that UA Senior Management knows that in order to be the competitive force in the marketplace that they keep talking about, they will need to start investing significant dollars in onboard interior and product/entertainment upgrades.

The big question is: When?
=================================================================

Look for it as soon as United exits C11 (around February 2006)and capital spending begins.

It should be a top notch product.

DL's previous CFO said that the amount of capital spending necessary just to keep an airline of DL's size at parity with peers is about $500 Million per year. That doesn't include any new aircraft but does include the cabin and maintenance upgrades that are either mandated by the government or the market along with the technology upgrades that are necessary to continue to implement current technology; ground facility upgrades and repairs are also necessary as evidenced by the topic about US' PHL facilities on that airline's forum. And to prove DL was serious, one of their first motions in bankruptcy was to request that its cabin refurbishment program be allowed to continue in bankruptcy and that the company be given the ability to implement cabin spending projects up to $15 million (I believe that is the correct number) w/o court approval.

Well now that we've been reminded by (surprise!) WT how DL is the greatest, best-managed airline in the free world ever (but -- OOPS! -- it's insolvent -- D'OHHH!), and how OBVIOUSLY on its worst day how much better it is than UA can ever hope to be, no matter what (thanks WT! for the reminder :up: ), maybe we can stay on topic ...

(Or is the topic for some ALWAYS how much more superior DL is than UA. Hmmm.)

I recently spoke with a Senior Account Executive with United in SFO and according to him, United is in the process of securing a vendor to revamp the United Business product with lie-flat beds in United Business as well as upgraded IFE. He said that the upgraded product would start to be phased in during the second half of 2006, but as of yet, United is still soliciting numerous vendors.

I recently spoke with a Senior Account Executive with United in SFO and according to him, United is in the process of securing a vendor to revamp the United Business product with lie-flat beds in United Business as well as upgraded IFE. He said that the upgraded product would start to be phased in during the second half of 2006, but as of yet, United is still soliciting numerous vendors.

There was a recent job offering for a Manager of Onboard Experience. Duties included all that you mentioned: "Responsible for securing multiple vendor projects for high visability applications", "Lead a cross-divisional team to implement new product offerings", etc.

I have also heard rumblings of a new C-class product, possibly sooner than 3Q 2006 (announcement in 1Q 2006).

Big question: If Int'l C-class is getting revamped, will F-class remain or will we be a 2-class carrier?
• p.s. is 3-class, but could be changed to two.
• Yield per square foot is higher with C-class, especially if C is newer than F.
• CO, NW are C and Y carriers only, right?

The BOD finalized the approval of the IPP (International Premium Product) earlier this week, I was told.

Both F and C will be all new, with the F seat based on the new C seat (which no one else has... completely new and innovative).

3 cabins will remain on all aircraft, including the 767, although capacities will be reduced on every widebody for the new IPP, except for the 744 First Suite, which will remain at 14.

Coach cabins will increase in capacity on the 744 significantly, the 777 by one row, and remain the same on the 763.

The design will be frozen 2Q 2006, so I wouldn't expect an announcement until 3Q 2006, a la the p.s. PR timing.

Implementation 2007 - 2009.

Oh yeah, about IFE:
- large LCD/Plasma widescreens for the new IPP seats
- same distributed video system (DVS) for United Economy except media will now be digital
- unfortunately no upgrade to the 744 in Economy... meaning no PTVs... what a joke!!
- I'm very upset about the decision not to upgrade 744 Y... especially since we are increasing Y capacity