Fleet Service is the IAM whippin' post

isthisok

Advanced
Aug 29, 2002
www.usaviation.com
I heard from a reliable source that Maintenance had a TA much superior to Fleets but once Fleet voted theirs down they decided not to present it to the membership, because it would piss off fleet that much more. Why can't the IAM present Maintenance a TA and have them vote on it before Fleet. The reason is that Fleet will never do better than maintenance, ever. Fleet is just a pimple on the Union's ass that fill the void of union dues when Maintenance members numbers go down. Remember that part timers pay the same dues that full timers pay and the numbers of part timers are growing and are enormous out West.
The union has the balls to increase your dues time and time again, after many concessions and they are going to do it again.

If Maintenance had a TA why can't it be presented now and voted on or is it too good for the Fleet membership to see before we get it shoved up our rears again?

It is important for all the Fleet membership to get to the meetings in which the AGC's are nominated and get this Canale crew out. Vote for anyone running against him and maybe we have a chance to save the Fleet part of the union.

it all goes to show what the IAM truly thinks of its members. And it is very sad and very pathetic
Too bad the Fleet didnt get to vote in a new union when that was going around

DOL considers Aircraft Maintenance unskilled labor....go figure, so does the union and the company. MX is grouped with installers on the DOL list.

Either way, one job requires you to be licensed, the other does not. There will be inequities in these contracts simply becuase of the job that each entails. Comparing Apples to Oranges!

GR is right about that , also don’t worry about MX .from everything I’ve been able to gather their a long way off from any TA , let’s not be tripping over our future while we wait for theirs (because theirs could take a LONG time )

Either way, one job requires you to be licensed, the other does not. There will be inequities in these contracts simply becuase of the job that each entails. Comparing Apples to Oranges!

True in that they are not the same - but I was a ramper for 7 yrs before this, anybody with half a brain can do the job. That does not mean I don't support the ramp - I do and I feel you all need the best contract you can get. With that said - just because you have a certificate saying 'mechanic' on it does not mean that you are or can fix an airplane.

True in that they are not the same - but I was a ramper for 7 yrs before this, anybody with half a brain can do the job. That does not mean I don't support the ramp - I do and I feel you all need the best contract you can get. With that said - just because you have a certificate saying 'mechanic' on it does not mean that you are or can fix an airplane.

Without a doubt. The majority of the real work is done by a very small minority of mechs. The vast majority of mech's can do no more than change a tire or top off fluids, but they still had to pass a test at one point in time. Just like in the Navy, there were AD's who could not do anything more than marshall a plane, but they they were still AD's!

Harshness towards the Fleet group... No surprise there, we have been getting it from all over the company. Keep MX a separate issue. Your job and your duties don't compare to ours, so of course, your contract terms aren't anything like ours, but lets not use the Fleet group as a scapegoat here. We might be performing brainless duties in your words, but the toll it takes on us physically after doing it for many years is nothing to poke fun at, let alone the hazardous environment we work in. I hope MX gets a good TA just like I hope everyone involved in our sorry a** company gets a good contract... we all deserve it for sticking around this garbage pile of a company. Good Luck.

I guess you heard wrong:

September 7, 2007
File: USA-18
2007-100
IAM / U S AIRWAYS TRANSITION NEGOTIATIONS UPDATE

IAM/US Airways Transition Negotiations Grind to a Halt

Even before the IAM was certified as the collective bargaining representative for the combined US
Airways-America West Mechanic& Related and Stores workforce, we were preparing for negotiations.

We surveyed the membership and developed proposals to fairly integrate the two airlines’ employees and negotiate contract improvements for the combined workforce. After the IAM’s certification and nearly a year of semi-productive bargaining, both the IAM and US Airways enlisted the assistance of the National Mediation Board in the hope of reaching an agreement.

Your negotiating committee this week presented US Airways with a comprehensive proposal that
addressed the issues the membership said they wanted addressed in these negotiations. Your committee unanimously agreed that our proposal was the best chance for a deal and it would receive the full support of the membership. However, US Airways response once again failed to fully address our reasonable proposal and no future meetings are scheduled. Your negotiating committee members are returning to their regular assignments.

US Airways has demonstrated no interest in reaching a fair agreement and unifying its Mechanic &
Related workforce. We are disappointed at US Airways’ lack of commitment to its employees and their failure to share the airlines’ success with the employees whose sacrifices generate the airline’s profits.

There had been glimmers of hope in recent weeks because of the able assistance provided by Linda Puchala and Dick Hanusz of the National Mediation Board. However, even their help couldn’t overcome US Airways’ indifference toward its employees.

Throughout the negotiating process our attorneys have continued preparing for the Change of Control arbitration, which is scheduled for September 13 -14, 2007. In fact, we were prepared to present our case when it was originally scheduled to begin last February.

IAM members have suffered through US Airways’ refusal to participate in the original arbitration hearing and endured the airline’s hopeless attempts to block the arbitration. The Machinists Union was successful in convincing a judge to order the case to go forward, and District 142 is eager to finally present our case before a neutral arbitrator.

The membership will be updated as developments occur. Thank you for your continued solidarity and
support.

And you also have to know the Mechanics at US/East have been IAM and under a CBA since 1949.

Chucker,
No harshness towards you and the Fleet - I was there, I know the toll it takes. It is not brainless duties, but it is not hard in that almost anybody can do it with little or no training. I hope all these groups that have been without a decent contract finally get one. We can't compare the classes and contracts but we can/should/will demand they be fair for each. Agreed?

Agreed.....Mostly. Not just anyone can perform the work we do over 20 plus years. The physical toll on the body is not just for anybody.

I agree we can't compare classes but contracts are another matter.

I agree we can/should/will demand they be fair for each.

Planemx sez: but it is not hard in that almost anybody can do it with little or no training. Mama has been slinging bags for over 22 yrs, has had two surgeries(both comp). The physical aspect of this job is hard. I think the disrespect that fleet has be given by th IAM is totally underserved.

What are the membership numbers of fleet vs mx, it would be interesting to see how much money in dues are generated from each group...

Planemx sez: but it is not hard in that almost anybody can do it with little or no training. Mama has been slinging bags for over 22 yrs, has had two surgeries(both comp). The physical aspect of this job is hard. I think the disrespect that fleet has be given by th IAM is totally underserved.

What are the membership numbers of fleet vs mx, it would be interesting to see how much money in dues are generated from each group...

A 16 yr old with no experience and a 60 yr old with no experience could both do the job - Physical? YES, could they do it forever without pain/scars/stiffness....no. I mean no disrespect to Fleet and the job they do.