Fleet Service Poll ( current Baggage handlers only!)

After US and AA merge , which union would you prefer ?

• IAM

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • TWU

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters

freedom

Veteran
Feb 15, 2006
please take a moment and share with us your thoughts concerning fleet service issues .

I THINK if we are stuck with just the twu or the iam and there is an election its my opin that i think the easy winner would be the IAM when compared to the contracts btwn the twu and the iam

Reactions: 1 person
I THINK if we are stuck with just the twu or the iam and there is an election its my opin that i think the easy winner would be the IAM when compared to the contracts btwn the twu and the iam

well as I understand it , I don't think it would matter what our contract is or their contract is .. the winning union would simply administer the two separate contracts until one new JOINT contract is decided on by the membership .

Freedom,
While I find your poll questions interesting I believe it's a little early to be polling members regarding these decisions. IMO... the vast majority of the members being polled have not yet done the necessary research and comparison. Early polling can be very deceiving. Additionally, regarding AGC compensation, your 100K per year number is somewhat deceiving. The 100K per year is inclusive of meals, hotel, car rental and any other related expenses representing the members in their assigned stations. You fail to mention this in your poll question. Therefore, your poll should be seen as premature, slanted and having a large margin of error. With that being said I have not responded. Maybe later in the process.

I have heard the hotel rooms and meals were paid by the union .

If they have to pay for their meals and hotel stays I will have to reconsdier my stance on their compensation.

If they have to pay for their meals and hotel stays I will have to reconsdier my stance on their compensation.
The compensation figures released for the AGCs are inclusive of salary, meals, hotel, rental cars and all other related expenses representing the members. I respectfully ask you to reconsider your stance on AGC compensation based on these facts. As I have stated before; IMO... an AGC who dutifully fullfills the expectations of the position they have been elected to is worth every penny. On the other hand; those who do not are wasting member's dues monies and should not be reelected.

I will ask Ron Roth or pat R , if they tell me they have to pay for costs out of pocket then I will state publiclly that I think there level of compensation is fair .

Freedom,
While I find your poll questions interesting I believe it's a little early to be polling members regarding these decisions. IMO... the vast majority of the members being polled have not yet done the necessary research and comparison. Early polling can be very deceiving. Additionally, regarding AGC compensation, your 100K per year number is somewhat deceiving. The 100K per year is inclusive of meals, hotel, car rental and any other related expenses representing the members in their assigned stations. You fail to mention this in your poll question. Therefore, your poll should be seen as premature, slanted and having a large margin of error. With that being said I have not responded. Maybe later in the process.
It is an interesting poll. Between the two, I prefer the IAM. However, the AGC salary is set at $101,000 + per diems and hotel, etc. Looks like the merger will finally happen so the timetable becomes the next question. Let's hope that our negotiation team isn't bedazzled by Delaney and shelves US only talks for transition talks like what happened tragically at United. Just kills leverage. regards,

It is an interesting poll. Between the two, I prefer the IAM. However, the AGC salary is set at $101,000 + per diems and hotel, etc. Looks like the merger will finally happen so the timetable becomes the next question. Let's hope that our negotiation team isn't bedazzled by Delaney and shelves US only talks for transition talks like what happened tragically at United. Just kills leverage. regards,
I have been told by past AGCs the compensation figures released are inclusive of expenses. Hopefully we can get to the truth with an authoritive answer. Delaney is the District President. The NC will be obligated to follow his direction IMO.

I have been told by past AGCs the compensation figures released are inclusive of expenses. Hopefully we can get to the truth with an authoritive answer. Delaney is the District President. The NC will be obligated to follow his direction IMO.
The bylaws spell out how much salary. Salary is over $100,000. Total compensation normally is around $130,000. A quick check with the DOL official figures showed that US AIRWAYS agc ** salary was $1000,231 but his total compensation was $128,187 due to another $28,000 of daily per diems for food, hotel stays, etc. As far as the NC, I've always held that the NC is prima obligated to follow the membership and their desire. That often is in direct conflict with the direction that the District President chooses. They are in a position to pressure the District President and to make sure talks do not end up in transition talks without first settling current talks. At United, the IAM chose to abolish sUA talks after 2.5 years and instead support management's desire for seamlessness and dump everyone in transition talks. The problem became compounded when the District President received nothing for the members in doing so. No union at United followed the same 'seamless' negotiating path that the IAM chose, thus, only the IAM lost leverage and only the IAM members received nothing. It does appear that the IAM is now ready to sign a TA, perhaps this week for United Airline members. regards,

The bylaws spell out how much salary. Salary is over $100,000. Total compensation normally is around $130,000. A quick check with the DOL official figures showed that US AIRWAYS agc ** salary was $1000,231 but his total compensation was $128,187 due to another $28,000 of daily per diems for food, hotel stays, etc. As far as the NC, I've always held that the NC is prima obligated to follow the membership and their desire. That often is in direct conflict with the direction that the District President chooses. They are in a position to pressure the District President and to make sure talks do not end up in transition talks without first settling current talks. At United, the IAM chose to abolish sUA talks after 2.5 years and instead support management's desire for seamlessness and dump everyone in transition talks. The problem became compounded when the District President received nothing for the members in doing so. No union at United followed the same 'seamless' negotiating path that the IAM chose, thus, only the IAM lost leverage and only the IAM members received nothing. It does appear that the IAM is now ready to sign a TA, perhaps this week for United Airline members. regards,
I stand corrected on AGC compensation then. Duly noted. I agree the NC's obligation should be to follow the membership's desires, however, you know as well as I that too often this is not the case. I doubt the direction taken in UA negotiations was initiated by the membership's input or desires.

I stand corrected on AGC compensation then. Duly noted. I agree the NC's obligation should be to follow the membership's desires, however, you know as well as I that too often this is not the case. I doubt the direction taken in UA negotiations was initiated by the membership's input or desires.
I do think that finishing US AIRWAYS only talks prior to a merger should be the focus and determination. Two bites of the apple. Both AFA and IBT concluded sUA talks with getting an immediate 10% pay increase, more scope, up to $75,000 buyout clauses, and up to $12,500 at signing, yearly raises while in transitions, etc. Then and only then, did the IBT go into transition talks to gain even more. Giving up the current section 6 for nothing is nonsensical. This matter will be pressed hard during officer elections and it's very important for the members to make sure all potential candidates are on written record of where they stand with the current talks since the main focus is enhancing the wages/benefits of our members, and exactly which path is the best path. regards,

I do think that finishing US AIRWAYS only talks prior to a merger should be the focus and determination. Two bites of the apple. Both AFA and IBT concluded sUA talks with getting an immediate 10% pay increase, more scope, up to $75,000 buyout clauses, and up to $12,500 at signing, yearly raises while in transitions, etc. Then and only then, did the IBT go into transition talks to gain even more. Giving up the current section 6 for nothing is nonsensical. This matter will be pressed hard during officer elections and it's very important for the members to make sure all potential candidates are on written record of where they stand with the current talks since the main focus is enhancing the wages/benefits of our members, and exactly which path is the best path. regards,
Our group has waited too long for section 6 negotiations to walk away for yet another TA. Our group has been through two bankruptcies and a merger. Two BK Final Offers we were forced to accept and then a TA after the America West merger. This has resulted in dramatic concessions followed by years of near stagnant improvement to wages, benefits and work conditions. Enough already! We need to stay in section 6 negotiations until an agreement is reached. Only then should the NC entertain negotiations for another TA.

i said it in anthr thread but id be asking what kind of deal is being worked out btwn the iam and the twu and secondly how the hell is is legal to swap iam fsa for twu to represent fsa without an election i believe it should be an election and let the memebership decide