Flight Attendant Applications Being Accepted

May 29, 2003
The following memo was posted to the Continental flight attendants today.
Looks like we are hiring again! Yea!

DATE: July 22, 2005

TO: All Flight Attendants

RE: Flight Attendant Applications Being Accepted

Inflight Recruiting is once again accepting applications for the flight attendant position.
Based upon future growth plans, there is an anticipated need for additional flight attendants in 2006. All new flight attendants will be based in EWR for the foreseeable future. Applications are being accepted now to gather a pool of applicants with interviews beginning later in the year.

Interested external applicants may apply via www.Continental.com. On Continental.com, applicants should click on the About Continental tab and then follow the links to Career Opportunities and Flight Attendant Positions. Employees of Continental Airlines, Continental Micronesia, or Chelsea may apply by logging into myCOAIR and selecting Continental Career Opportunities and Flight Attendant Positions.

On-line applications will be reviewed and the most qualified applicants will be invited to an interview. Employees who are referring an applicant should instruct the applicant to place the employee’s name as the referral source and give the applicant a letter of recommendation to bring with them should they be invited to an interview session.

Does anybody know what kind of compensation new FAs can expect? Also, any addtl. incentive for foreign langauages? Thanks!

b-2

christopherrobin said:
The following memo was posted to the Continental flight attendants today.
Looks like we are hiring again! Yea!
DATE: July 22, 2005

TO: All Flight Attendants

RE: Flight Attendant Applications Being Accepted
Inflight Recruiting is once again accepting applications for the flight attendant position.
Based upon future growth plans, there is an anticipated need for additional flight attendants in 2006. All new flight attendants will be based in EWR for the foreseeable future. Applications are being accepted now to gather a pool of applicants with interviews beginning later in the year.

Interested external applicants may apply via www.Continental.com. On Continental.com, applicants should click on the About Continental tab and then follow the links to Career Opportunities and Flight Attendant Positions. Employees of Continental Airlines, Continental Micronesia, or Chelsea may apply by logging into myCOAIR and selecting Continental Career Opportunities and Flight Attendant Positions.

On-line applications will be reviewed and the most qualified applicants will be invited to an interview. Employees who are referring an applicant should instruct the applicant to place the employee’s name as the referral source and give the applicant a letter of recommendation to bring with them should they be invited to an interview session.
[post="283320"][/post]​

The language F/A gets an additional $2.50 an hour when flying the qualified language flight.

lt1GM said:
Does anybody know what kind of compensation new FAs can expect? Also, any addtl. incentive for foreign langauages? Thanks!

b-2
[post="284102"][/post]​

Thanks, AirDude! Let's say I speak German, get hired as a new FA and am interested in EWR-FRA. Do I stand any chance in bidding for it? Also, any guess as to expected salary?

AirDude said:
The language F/A gets an additional $2.50 an hour when flying the qualified language flight.
[post="284296"][/post]​

lt1GM said:
Thanks, AirDude!  Let's say I speak
German, get hired as a new FA and am interested in EWR-FRA.  Do I stand
any chance in bidding for it?  Also, any guess as to expected salary?
[post="284400"][/post]​

Everyone is hired as a domestic flight attendant in the beginning.But since the company is now testing all of the COMPANY SECOND LANGUAGES,you will be able to take the test at the 4th week of your training and the training is 4 2/1 weeks.

Once you passed the test and THE BASE IS STILL OPEN,you will then be transferred to German base and become a reserved international flight attendant and say good bye to the domestic flying life.

Since you are on reserve,the company can still use you for domestic, but the chance of being called to do domestic is very little.

I dont think you will be able to hold a line as a line holder because there are plenty of senior F/A in the base already.

Your salary is $19.50 to start with and guarantee is 83 hours.You get $2.00 extra per hour to fly international and $2.50 extra if you fly to any country speaking Germany such as Hamburg,Berlin,Zurich and Frankfurt.

The per diem is $2.50 for international and $1.95 for domestic.At this point you know that your average salary as a language speaker per hour is $19.50 + $2.00 + $2.50 = $24.00 an hour.

Any question,please feel free to ask.

It's great to see CO hiring! I'm still 2300 from being recalled at AA...2 and half years to go before I loose the option of going back and no recalls in sight.
Way to go Continental, I've always admired your surviving spirit and class operation! :up:

AirDude, I'll take you up on your offer of further questions! Thanks for enlightening me, I have little knowledge of the vernacular.
AirDude said:
Everyone is hired as a domestic flight attendant in the beginning.But since the company is now testing all of the COMPANY SECOND LANGUAGES,you will be able to take the test at the 4th week of your training and the training is 4 2/1 weeks.

Once you passed the test and THE BASE IS STILL OPEN,you will then be transferred to German base and become a reserved international flight attendant and say good bye to the domestic flying life.
[post="284593"][/post]​
OK, that makes sense. But what does THE BASE IS STILL OPEN mean? And is "transferred to German base" a physical transfer? Still EWR, right?

AirDude said:
Since you are on reserve,the company can still use you for domestic, but the chance of being called to do domestic is very little.

I dont think you will be able to hold a line as a line holder because there are plenty of senior F/A in the base already.
[post="284593"][/post]​
What does "hold a line" mean?

AirDude said:
Your salary is $19.50 to start with and guarantee is 83 hours.You get $2.00 extra per hour to fly international and $2.50 extra if you fly to any country speaking Germany such as Hamburg,Berlin,Zurich and Frankfurt.

The per diem is $2.50 for international and $1.95 for domestic.At this point you know that your average salary as a language speaker per hour is $19.50 + $2.00 + $2.50 = $24.00 an hour.
[post="284593"][/post]​
So for me it would be $24x83/month? Also, what is the per diem you refer to exactly? I'm guessing per hour pay while on layovers? Thanks so much for answering my questions!! :up:

lt1GM said:
AirDude, I'll take you up on your offer of further questions! Thanks for enlightening me, I have little knowledge of the vernacular.

OK, that makes sense. But what does THE BASE IS STILL OPEN mean?
And is "transferred to German base" a physical transfer? Still EWR, right?
AirDude said:
Each language has a base.When there is enough speakers to hold a line
(monthly schedule)or to be on reserve to operate the flights,there will be no
need to add more people for this base,the base would be closed.
OPEN means short of speaker,CLOSE means enough speakers.
We are all hired as a dometic flight attendant like i said before.When the
base opens,your name will be transferred to GERMAN base which also known
as language speaker base.EWR base is for domestic flight attendants.

[post="284593"][/post]​
What does "hold a line" mean?

Line means a monthly schedule.Each middle of the month you
bid for your next month's schedule.If you have a schedule,you basically
control your life because you know when to fly and no need to wait for crew scheduling to call you as a reserve person.

Line Holder means a schedule holder.Reserve means you dont know where
you will be going and when to fly.You only know when you have day offs.
So,being on international reserve,you basically fly international,but company
can use you to fly domestic if on that day they are out of domestic person.
The company can also use domestic person to fly international.This is the
good thing about this company compare to other major airlines.

AirDude said:
Your salary is $19.50 to start with and guarantee is 83 hours.You get $2.00
extra per hour to fly international and $2.50 extra if you fly to any country speaking Germany such as Hamburg,Berlin,Zurich and Frankfurt.

The per diem is $2.50 for international and $1.95 for domestic.At this point
you know that your average salary as a language speaker per hour is $19.50
+ $2.00 + $2.50 = $24.00 an hour.
[post="284593"][/post]​
So for me it would be $24x83/month? Also, what is the per diem you refer to exactly? I'm guessing per hour pay while on layovers? Thanks so much for answering my questions!! :up:
[post="285365"][/post]​

Per diem is the extra allowance for us.It is not taxable if you dont fly a turn.
Thatmeans A to B to A on the same day.

If you are a speaker line holder,your salary will be $24 x total block to
block hours per this line you bidded because each bidding line per each
country has different total flying time.
But if you are on reserve,your salary will be caculated as $19.50 x 83 hours
= minimum monthly pay +$2.00 each hour to fly interantional + $2.50 each
hour if you fly to the country and you work as a speaker.

If you fly more than 83 hours,then salary will be more.

Let me know if any more questions.

airdude, as always thanks so much for the info. I now have a much better idea on what to expect.

Also, I have been invited to a "group interview" in EWR in a couple of weeks (interviews begin 8/23). Any pointers on what to expect? I'm only told to plan to stay most of the day. Interestingly, the 4 week training is supposedly unpaid. :shock: Pretty harsh, eh?

lt1GM said:
airdude, as always thanks so much for the info.  I now have a much better idea on what to expect. 

Also, I have been invited to a "group interview" in EWR in a couple of weeks (interviews begin 8/23).  Any pointers on what to expect?  I'm only told to plan to stay most of the day.  Interestingly, the 4 week training is supposedly unpaid.  :shock:  Pretty harsh, eh?
[post="288421"][/post]​

As someone who interviewed with CO before I was hired at AA (I went through 3 rounds of interviews at CO, but they froze hiring about the time I would have started training) and as someone who knows several top-notch CO flight attendants, let me give you a couple of suggestions.

1. Arrive ahead of time. If the interview is scheduled for 8am (or, get used to it, 0800), be there no later than 7:45am. 7:30am is better.
2. Bring your own friggin' pen to fill out the app. Do NOT ask to borrow the interviewer's pen. A copy of your resume is nice, but not essential, and make sure that it is no longer than 1 page in length.
2. Dress professionally. Suit and tie for the guys. Dress or suit and reasonable heels for the ladies. No piercings. No visible tattoos. No purple streak in your hair that "you're willing to change IF you get hired" (you won't get hired). No extra long fingernails painted in 3 different colors--none of which is red or clear.
3. Listen carefully to the instructions. Part of your job as a f/a is being responsible for passenger safety in an emergency. Ability to follow instructions to the letter is important. If they ask you to talk about what you think the job of flight attendant entails, talk about what you think are the job duties and responsibilities, not about how you have wanted to be a flight attendant ever since you were a kid.
4. Do not (repeat) do NOT let the phrase, "I just want to work with people," escape your lips. :lol: Unless you are a professional hermit, any job you do is going to mean working with people; so, the phrase is meaningless.

By the way, NO airline that I know of pays you a salary during training. You are not a company employee until you successfully complete training and are offered a job (which if you complete training, you will be). Most of the majors--AA, I know for sure--provide your housing & meals during training, and transportation to and from the training center each day. If I remember correctly, so does CO. Some of the smaller airlines don't even provide that.

Also, CO's training is held in Houston. If you live in New Hampshire, don't think that you are going to go home on the weekends or get free passes for travel during training. If CO's training schedule is anything like AA's, you will get one day off each week--usually Sunday--and you will be spending that day doing laundry and studying.

Make sure that you have your personal affairs in order--someone to pick up your mail at home, feed your dogs, and drive your Mom to the grocery store. If you miss a day of training, you will be dropped from the class. It's an FAA requirement that eveyone must attend every day of the training. There is no facility to make up missed training.

Good luck! CO is a great company to work for. As I said, I know several CO f/as, and they are the best. If CO hadn't had a hiring freeze back in Spring, 2000, I would probably be working for them today. My home in Houston is on the edge of IAH their headquarters base.

Jim,

Thanks much for your advice, I appreciate it and will take it to heart. As for the unpaid training, I remember LH had a program for temporary FAs I once considered many moons ago. It would provide 4 weeks of PAID training, after that you served for 3 whole months as an FA on international routes. After that short service, they would give you 1 month free travel on the LH network. But that was in the good old days, I presume!

quote=lt1GM,Aug 15 2005, 08:57 AM]
Jim,

Thanks much for your advice, I appreciate it and will take it to heart. As for the unpaid training, I remember LH had a program for temporary FAs I once considered many moons ago. It would provide 4 weeks of PAID training, after that you served for 3 whole months as an FA on international routes. After that short service, they would give you 1 month free travel on the LH network. But that was in the good old days, I presume!
[post="288434"][/post]​
[/quote]

Congratulations for your upcoming interviews and look forward to see you in EWR.

Just to let you know that CO does pay you something during training.It is $20.00 a day and $140.00 per week until the last day of your 4 1/2 training periods.
The hotels for each class is different,if you are lucky enough you might live in Grand Hyatt,Hilton or Sheraton.But on the other side,you might live in those cheap hotels just like me.

Training is six days a week and it is 8am to 4pm.Unlike AA,it is just anytime during the 24hrs clock.Every monday each class gets to have a better breakfast and lunch which is a big fruit platter and a mixed vegetable platter.The breakfast is cereal,banana and muffins and the lunch is cold and hard turkey or ham sandwich or a hot turkey with cheese or hot beef with cheese for every monday.

Trust me,after a week,you will start ordering foods from outside.But I dont suggest you to do that,just save the money for better food during day offs.

Do not expect to relax after class.The test is given after one week.That means you take the test for everything you have learned for the entire week and that is really a lot of things to remember and questions are not hard but just very very tricky.Unlike AA,the tests are given approximately every other day.If you dont think you are not smart enough,just go back to hotel,take a nap and study.This is my suggestion.Dont study right away after getting back to the hotel.

By the way,there will be a final exam and there is no re-take on that.you fail and you are out.Do not freak out because the questions are the same which you have taken previously.The night before taking the test,just go through the whole bible and study.

The beginning of the second week,you will have the observation flight which is easy.Before the end of the training program you will have the IOE flight with one instructor onboard to grade you guys.The working crews will be sitting there drinking their sodas and reading their newspapers.They will help the galley but not in the aisle serving passengers.

After graduation,you will get 2 round trip tickets for you to use.One one-way to go back home,one on-way to get to the base for the two days orientation.One roundtrip from base to home and back to base which needs to be used within 30 days.You will have a week to find a place to live within a week because the orientation is a week after the gratuation.Done expect to have a few days off after orientation because you will be on the on-call list after the 2nd day orientation.
Hotel should be the EWR Marriott.if you want to drive your car to park at the hotel just tell the gate person that you are here for Continental orientation then you will not have to pay $20.00 per day.

Hope to see you here and enjoy this job.

Hi Everyone!I'm new to this message board so lemme tell u somthin about myself...I live in Italy and i've been working as a flight attendant for some Italian airlines for 2 yrs!I have recently applied at Continental(I have double citizenship)and got invited to the group interview!I need to know how many interview sessions do u have to go thru?cuz its gonna be a bit hard for me flying to jersey everytime they ask me to, since i live in Italy and I'm currently working(unfortunately I don't get any flying discount).Also, are there any other sessions at the end of Sept?So will there be another training class scheduled in October?I need some time to quit my job and move back to the States :shock: On top of that I'm turning 21 at the end of next month! :up: I'd appreciate if someone can help me :lol: :rolleyes: :)Pleeeez!!!
PS How hard it is to get in? Are there like a 100 ppl at the group interview?How many will they pick?....geez...im gettin so paranoid i kno!!!but i'm rele looking forward to!i cant wait to move back :D

Thank u sooo much for ur help :up:

Volare said:
Hi Everyone!I'm new to this message board so lemme tell u somthin about myself...I live in Italy and i've been working as a flight attendant for some Italian airlines for 2 yrs!I have recently applied at Continental(I have double citizenship)and got invited to the group interview!I need to know how many interview sessions do u have to go thru?cuz its gonna be a bit hard for me flying to jersey everytime they ask me to, since i live in Italy and I'm currently working(unfortunately I don't get any flying discount).Also, are there any other sessions at the end of Sept?So will there be another training class scheduled in October?I need some time to quit my job and move back to the States :shock: On top of that I'm turning 21 at the end of next month! :up: I'd appreciate if someone can help me :lol: :rolleyes: :)Pleeeez!!!
PS How hard it is to get in? Are there like a 100 ppl at the group interview?How many will they pick?....geez...im gettin so paranoid i kno!!!but i'm rele looking forward to!i cant wait to move back :D

Thank u sooo much for ur help :up:
[post="290926"][/post]​

Hello

Let me try to give you some informations.

Normally,you will need to pass three interviews in one day.But some people only had two.Like me,I had a group interview plus three one-on-one interview.But we all need to go thru the group interview before one-on-one.

Each group interview should be 5 people.If there is 100 people in that day,you should see 10% being asked for the final interview.

If you are invited to stay for the furthur interview on the same day,be prepared to stay at the airport for a long hour because interview sessions are held for the whole day and the final interview is at the end of the day after they have gathered people from the entire day.

The final interview is conducted by two of the management from Inflight .

The company is going to hire approximately 500 people.so,just come to the training as early as you can.

Congratulations and look forward to seeing you.

Thank u very much Airdude. Your informations were very helpful! :D
I tried calling the recruiting office many times today but the line was always busy. I wanted to ask them if its possible to schedule the interview even tho im not 21 yrs old yet but will soon turn 21 around the end of next month. On top of that I will need to kno how much time they will they give me from the time of the interview(if i do get picked) till the training class starts!Also do u kno how many training classes will they have?(anything in October?)....

thanks again for ur precious answers :up:

Latest posts