Flight Attendant Early Retirement Incentive

"The flight attendants' union has projected 1,000 to 1,500 workers will leave through an early-buyout package and voluntary furloughs, which will be offered starting March 5 and available for the 45 following days, said Teddy Xidas, local and national union president."

Employees' buyout not a problem, airline says

Jim

Such a large reduction could put the airline in a squeeze, Xidas said. "The company might have to recall people if there are too many" who opt to leave. "They could endure 500 (flight attendants leaving), but they couldn't endure 1,000."

I'm not sure I'm following Teddy's reasoning. If there are roughly 1,800 people out on involuntary, it seems to me that it would benefit the company to come as close buying out that number of people and bringing back the involuntaries.

Pitbull, comments?

DCAflyer said:
I'm not sure I'm following Teddy's reasoning. If there are roughly 1,800 people out on involuntary, it seems to me that it would benefit the company to come as close buying out that number of people and bringing back the involuntaries.

Pitbull, comments?
[post="251757"][/post]​

There are costs associated with bringing back flight attendants who have been off the job over a certain period of time. For instance, when I returned to AA in November, there was 2 days of training plus physicals plus background checks covering the time off. The training is paid time plus you have to line up instructors, classrooms, etc. And, I was only off for 16.5 months. As the time off increases, the amount of refresher training increases. The FAA dictates how much refresher training is required; so, it ain't optional.

jimntx said:
There are costs associated with bringing back flight attendants who have been off the job over a certain period of time. For instance, when I returned to AA in November, there was 2 days of training plus physicals plus background checks covering the time off. The training is paid time plus you have to line up instructors, classrooms, etc. And, I was only off for 16.5 months. As the time off increases, the amount of refresher training increases. The FAA dictates how much refresher training is required; so, it ain't optional.
[post="252001"][/post]​
Although I do agree with you about cost, it is totally different for US. We only get paid a $60 flat rate of pay per day now. Requalification training is 2 days plus one day of recurrent. The instructors are already on the property.