Flight Attendant Jumpseating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colby

Senior
Sep 30, 2003
I have been on a Furlough status for a while so I'm not sure what has changed..

Anyway, I know when I was Flying Pre 9/11 Pilots would jumpseat on most any airline of their choosing..or at least be able to attempt it... Im not sure if Pilots are able to jumpseat on other Carriers at this time..But, Im thinking their have been Pilots jumpseating on Other carriers....

My Question is .... WHY can't Flight Attendant Jumpseat on other Airlines...Especially if the Pilots are Once again able to JumpSeat on Various other Carriers !!! We are(At least I was ) Qualified on many Aircraft that other Carriers have in their Fleets and I don't see why Flight Attendants don't get the same Options !!!!!

Once Again I will Specify that this is all based on what the Pilots are able to do at this TIME !!!!!

Per the FAA, there are only certain people/job titles that can jumpseat in the cockpit, with the pilot having final say. Any "qualified" pilot is on the FAA list. In theory, at least, a 737 cockpit is exactly the same from one airline to the next. But, basically I was told that it is a courtesy that pilots of one airline extend to pilots of other airlines.

Cabins, however, have different configurations. Also, the emergency commands are different from one airline to the next, and one flight attendant shouting AA commands and another shouting U commands would cause confusion. At least, that is the answer I got from AA when I asked the same question.

Thankyou for the Response Jim.....

I know that at one point and time...The Guy I was dating flew the RJs for Express Jet and was able to J/S on Us Mainline... Of course that was Pre 9/11...

I still think that F/As should be able to J/S on other Carriers... So, they have to be "Briefed" on Various Airlines Commands and Proceedures... I think all would be able to Adapt to these !!!! It's just something that has been bothering me for a while...and since I have NOTHING BETTER TO DO I thought I'd Check this out !!!

I was told the same thing as jimintx as to j/s ing on other airlines.

I've long wondered why the FAA doesn't demand standardized FA training for emergencies. It seems to me it would be a good thing. It could maybe even save the airlines money by not having to write its own manuals and the time it takes to have them approved by the FAA.

I understand that each airline might have its own cabin configurations but the emergency exits and their operation is the same.

Usually I introduce myself as a courtesy to the crew when non-reving off-line. I appreciate knowing when I have other FA's on board just in case there is an emergency and I might need an ABP. I'd rather brief another FA than someone who's totally unfamiliar with the doors.

I heard a rumor years ago about a situation where an FA from another airline tried to "take over" in an planned emergency, insisting she knew better how to command the evacuation. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.

Maybe someone knows?

Dea

Dea Certe said:
I was told the same thing as jimintx as to j/s ing on other airlines.

I've long wondered why the FAA doesn't demand standardized FA training for emergencies. It seems to me it would be a good thing. It could maybe even save the airlines money by not having to write its own manuals and the time it takes to have them approved by the FAA.

I understand that each airline might have its own cabin configurations but the emergency exits and their operation is the same.

Usually I introduce myself as a courtesy to the crew when non-reving off-line. I appreciate knowing when I have other FA's on board just in case there is an emergency and I might need an ABP. I'd rather brief another FA than someone who's totally unfamiliar with the doors.

I heard a rumor years ago about a situation where an FA from another airline tried to "take over" in an planned emergency, insisting she knew better how to command the evacuation. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.

Maybe someone knows?

Dea
One of the reasons that the FAA has not standardized the training for flight attendants is because the airlines have fought it. There is a bill before Congress that would standardize flight attendant training and require certification of flight attendants as "safety professionals." However, there would be a person--like V-P of Flight Service at AA--at each airline who would certify to the FAA that the flight attendant had met the requirements for certification. So, the company would still control the process.

Some flight attendants are concerned that this would create a ready-made scab supply for the big airlines. If every flight attendant who is 737-qualified is qualified on every 737, then if the flight attendants at AA try to go on strike then the company could just hire 737-qualified flight attendants from some other air carrier which pays less--say for instance a charter organization which flies 737s.

However, standard certification does not guarantee that the jumpseats would be available to people from other airlines or even the same airline. The applicable FAR says that the person must be qualified to occupy the jumpseat for takeoff and landing. It does not say that the airline must give the seat to someone who is qualified.

I'm qualified on every a/c that AA flies except the A300 and 777. However, because I am furloughed, I am not allowed to jumpseat even on AA. Some airlines even say that only their flight attendants in full uniform can occupy the jumpseats. AA does not require that a flight attendant be in uniform, but the f/a must be wearing F/C attire--no running shoes or "hiking" boots, no jeans, no t-shirts, etc.

I wonder if it has less to do with the FAA and more to do with the carriers not wanting to grant this privilege.

Most flight attendants that I know are capable of opening any door with minimal briefing. It would be simple to say "this is how you open it, and don't touch anything unless I say so" to a jumpeseater from another carrier.

Alternatively, you could "jumpseat" on a different carrier only if there was a pax seat available. (Didn't jetblue do this at one time?)

Either option would give our group the same flexibility as the pilot/dispatcher/faa group that has interline cockpit jumpseat privileges.

I have heard that some European carriers let non revs occupy the jumpseat. If someone's Mom or Dad is capable of riding one over there, a fellow flight attendant should be able to ride one here.

aislehopper said:
Alternatively, you could "jumpseat" on a different carrier only if there was a pax seat available. (Didn't jetblue do this at one time?)

Either option would give our group the same flexibility as the pilot/dispatcher/faa group that has interline cockpit jumpseat privileges.

I have heard that some European carriers let non revs occupy the jumpseat. If someone's Mom or Dad is capable of riding one over there, a fellow flight attendant should be able to ride one here.

I think I have heard that AirTran Allows/Allowed F/A to Jumpseat as long as there was a PAX seat Available....

As for the pilot/dispatcher/faa.... That's EXACTLY what Im talking about

I have heard that there is a Certain US Airline that Allows Employees to take the Jumpseat.... Im Pretty sure this was Discussed before !!!!!

Dea, I agree with you about the ABP..... They Definately would be the First person that I would go to as an ABP.....

SkyWest has approximately 16 reciprocal jumpseat agreements with other carriers. This would apply to any available cabin seat.

F/A's from any airline can J/S on JetBlue and Spirit. I haven't heard about AirTran. I am not aware if it has to be a cabin seat. As to qualifications, here at SWA, ANY employee can ride on the J/S on a first inline basis! They are to be briefed on door operation by the B F/A and can't require a S/B extention! :shock:

aislehopper said:
I wonder if it has less to do with the FAA and more to do with the carriers not wanting to grant this privilege.
That's what this whole thread has been about. It is obviously a company preference. If it varies from "only company flight attendants in uniform" (Ryan)to "any employee who has been briefed on door operation" (Southwest) then I suspect that the Southwest policy comes closest to the FAA reg. I'm fairly certain that it would have to be an airline employee at the minimum. Otherwise, the airline could "sell" the jumpseat to any passenger, and I know that is not permitted.

jimntx said:
It is obviously a company preference.
This is an interesting discussion... I'm surprised that there is not a specific FAR to identify who can occupy a flight attendant seat. Here in Canada, the Regulation is quite clear on who can physically occupy the flight attendant seat. Here's an excerpt:

The air operator may permit persons other than assigned flight attendants to occupy an available flight attendant seat under the following conditions:

a} A crew member employed by the air operator, but not assigned as a member of the operating crew for the flight in question, may occupy an available flight attendant seat when:

(i) there are no passenger seats available;

(ii) the person is wearing the company uniform, or is appropriately identified and is briefed...

b} A Cabin Safety Inspector carrying out an in-flight cabin inspection, may occupy an available flight attendant seat only when:

(i) an inaccurate load forecast for a multi-sector flight results in the displacement of the Inspector by a revenue passenger or a deadheading crew member;

(ii) in extenuating circumstances when the completion of the in-flight cabin inspection is mandatory and alternate seating is not available; or

(iii) The Inspector has been briefed...

c} Any other person may occupy a flight attendant seat if the following conditions prevail:

(i) a declared emergency exists;

(ii) the person is an able-bodied person displaced from a passenger seat to a flight attendant seat to enhance evacuation management; and

(iii) the person is briefed by a qualified crew member regarding his/her responsibilities and actions.

Here is the link for the full standard:
725.41(2) Standard for occupancy of flight attendant seats

This in no way would prohibit the practice of "jumpseating", provided there were passenger seats available for the crew member to use just like the pilots do now.

It has nothing to do with the FAA. Who an airline chooses to allow on the jumpseat, or who the airline allows to "jumpseat"(pax seat) is entirely up to the carrier.

jetBlue will allow any (US Part 121) crew member to jumpseat... in a pax seat.. and if no seats are available on the physical cabin jumpseat so long as they are appropriately dressed.

Perhaps someday flight attendants will enjoy the same privilege that pilots enjoy, being able to walk up to any airline and jumpseat.(Even if just a pax seat)

BlueFlyer21

BlueFlyer21 said:
It has nothing to do with the FAA. Who an airline chooses to allow on the jumpseat, or who the airline allows to "jumpseat"(pax seat) is entirely up to the carrier.
It is an overstatement to say that it has nothing to do with the FAA. There are FARs on the subject. However, none of the FARs are as restrictive as most of the airlines make it.

Interesting and timely subject....One of the f/a's at my current carrier was just terminated for j/s on M/L. (I am employed by a wholly owned). Don't know any further details.
Personally, I am furloughed M/L. I added up all of the aircraft that I have trained and worked on throughout my career (2 majors, 2 commuters) and it totals 37 aircraft. I can confidentally say that with a fellow f/a briefing me on the operation of the exit, that I would consider myself competent to operate it in an emergency. I think there is more to the j/s question than "qualified". We all know that there are far fewer seats available to non-rev on than ever. Our company's limitation could also come from AFA pressure to keep the j/s open to active f/a's trying to get to work. JMHO. The certification deal would make me "certified" on just the current 3 types of a/c I work on now, even with the years of experience elsewhere. In any case, I let the f/a now I am available if needed in an emergency. Just a professional courtesy.

Sorry I haven't seen your Response sooner.... This is exactly what I have been talking about... I realize that things have changed since 9/11 and I don't know what is up with the Pilot Jumpseating anymore but I know that pre 9/11 even commuter Pilots could J/S on Mainline flights so why couldn't Flight Attendants...We all know Basic responsiblities so each airline may have different comands but I say Why should the Pilots be able to J/S .... and F/A s can't.... I think an F/A would be able to take control of F/A responsilbilities more than a BeechCraft Pilot could take control of a 737-400..... There are differences that we all can conform too !!

Again I don't know what the rules are now as I have been furloughed since May 2003... But, I am going buy what used to be !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts