Flight Attendant Pay Cuts

SKY HIGH

Veteran
May 22, 2004
Union: US Airways wants to cut flight attendant pay to 1982 level

ALEXANDRIA, Va. A union analyst says U-S Airways' request in bankruptcy court to impose 23 percent pay cuts on its union workers would reduce flight attendants' pay scales to 1982 levels.

Daniel Akins is an economist working for the Association of Flight Attendants. He testified today in U-S Bankruptcy Court that the pay cuts sought by bankrupt U-S Airways are so severe that the airline's pay scales would be 22 percent lower than the average salary scale of the nation's low-cost airlines.

The airline is seeking the pay cuts on a temporary basis from nearly all of its union workers. The airline says the company's cash reserves are so low it may be forced to liquidate as soon as mid-February unless the relief is granted.

The hearing will resume tomorrow to complete closing arguments.

I was just about to post this. It really puts it in perspective.

What a load of bulls*it. No ones mentioning Southwest F/A pay anymore, huh? :angry:

22% lower than the low-cost carriers? It's stuff like this that makes you feel that the people running the place are just evil, and it's worth shutting it down.

Disgusting. :down:

Summary of Court proceedings Thursday

PIT AFA E-line

Dear Members,

Court session reconvened today at 1:30 with AFA's Financial Analyst, Dan Akins taking the stand. AFA presented a slide presentation showing USAirways flight attendants wage stacked up against the legacy carriers, and the low cost carriers, specifically America West and even South West, who are the highest paid flight attendants in the industry.JetBlue was also compared. Testimony was given by Dan giving a chronological account of the company's lack of attention in our negotiations in giving us a "line-item cost out" of these proposals, because of their preoccupation with the ALPA negotiations. We've had only 3 Company proposals up until the time the company filed for Chapter 11 on September 12. The first "costing-out" the company gave AFA was August 30. This presentation took a little over 2 hours.

Fact: USAirways flight attendants have the lowest wages of any legacy carrier today.

Fact: USAirways flight attendants taking a 23% pay cut will be substantially lower than America
West, bringing our wages at a little over $31.00. That will bring the "top-out" pay to
year 1982. That dollar today has even LESS buying power than in 1982.

Dan Akins was crossed examined by the company's attorney, Leitch, and Dan could not be stumped and did not waiver in presenting AFA's claim that this type of wage cut would do grave personal financial harm to the flight attendant group who are approx. 80% topped-out, and 20% who are not. Our Legal team "shined" today, and they presented an excellent argument on your behalf.

As an aside, Dave Davis, CFO, took the stand again, and when he was asked by CWA counsel to validate if Neil Cohen received $2.5 Million and Dave Siegel received $4.5 million when they left in April, Mr. Davis emphatically stated, he just couldn't remember those exact figures. Odd, though, he could remember and cite exactly what the CWA agents make at South West Airlines to the Penny.

The final arguments commenced Thursday with each labor group legal team having an opportunity to present their "closing arguments". CWA presented first, followed by IAM.

Tomorrow, AFA will conclude giving their final closing statements, followed by the Company.

Judge Mitchell should rule tomorrow on the 1113(e) relief motion.

I will write out as soon as I know...please copy this and circulate.

Teddy
Local 40

One more thing folks, the company stressed to the judge that if the company fails to receive the cost savings it seeks in these proceedings, that the tenative agreement that is before ALPA for a vote, may fail.

How about that? Leave it to ALPA MEC to send out a T/A that has a wage decrease of 18.5% and now it looks like that is added pressure on the judge to impose 23% for fear of ALPA rejecting their T/A, if the rest of labor comes in substantially lower.

Thanks ALPA, love ya, mean it. :down:

We can only hope that THAT doesn't influence the judge in doing the right thing for the rest of the employees who will not survive financially at all with these types of drastic acutely reduced wages. :(

Pitbull,

"Thanks ALPA, love ya, mean it."

You've just got to remember that some are so intent on throwing others over the side to save their job that they don't notice if the AFA, CWA, or whoever gets knocked overboard too.

Jim

Boeing boy,

I feel really bad as well for the pilots and that damn T/A. Its just terrible.

18.5% pay wack, vacation wacked as well to 21 days, sick is horrible, DH 50% pay and no credit. How does this get applied to your reserve pilots? Does the DH credit go on top of the gurantee? If it doesn't, your pilot reserves get wacked even worse. DC plan wacked.

No protections in scope or framentation, min a/c language gone, and you know there will be furloughs and if the 737 goes, furloughs out of seniority.

At least with this imposed pay cut of 23%, that is all they would get.

YOUR T/A SHOULD FAIL . Take the 23% or whatever is imposed and let the T/A fail and force the company to negotiate another deal.

Management only takes 10% pay reduction...why? There is 3,700 employees of U considered managment. middle management takes 7.5% and lower/ adminstrative personnel takes 5%. Most got a 4% raise in July.

Major disparity of treatment. Unionized workers get punished for being unionized.

Looks like Jerry takes all, doesn't he? :down:

MAJOR DISMANTLING OF THE U WORKFORCE!

Mechanic and related are 99% topped out, AFA 80% topped out, CWA agents 85% topped out, most of the pilot group is over 50.

Using the BK process to drive the employees out. Otherwise, it would be considered age discrimination

Pitbull,

"Mechanic and related are 99% topped out, AFA 80% topped out, CWA agents 85% topped out, most of the pilot group is over 50."

Add 100% of the pilots are topped out.

With the price of fuel hitting new highs, my thought is that the company would be better off with an interim paycut for the pilots instead of the TA (aauming that it's close to the 23%). As you're well aware, many of these contract changes will be phased in so no immediate savings. Others will actually cost money in the short term, like furloughs. The end result would be that the company would get more immediate savings from the interim relief.

Not that it matters. If fuel stays near present levels, over half of the savings from interim relief would go to pay the additional fuel cost - so much for building a $200 million "cushion". Per Davis' testimony, that means cash so low that the company would have no choice but to liquidate.

Jim

Heres' the kicker ..... they are asking CWA (ticket counter and gate agents) for 23% and our non-union station mgr for only 5%. And the Station mgrs just recived a 4% raise. So she's really only going to see a 1% cut.....

"We can only hope that THAT doesn't influence the judge in doing the right thing for the rest of the employees who will not survive financially at all with these types of drastic acutely reduced wages"

helo, you won't survive financially if you don't take pay cuts. 31.00 per hour for a F/A???? sounds good to me. where should my niece sign up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously, SKYflyr is clueless. Ummmmm, DUH. Flight attendants ONLY get paid when the plane is moving dear. Nothing for the layover, nothing boarding, nothing for creeping delays. Do the math. Take that 31.00 and multiply it by 70 hours....that's what they make.

Fly said:
Obviously, SKYflyr is clueless. Ummmmm, DUH. Flight attendants ONLY get paid when the plane is moving dear. Nothing for the layover, nothing boarding, nothing for creeping delays. Do the math. Take that 31.00 and multiply it by 70 hours....that's what they make.
[post="191055"][/post]​

Well dear: That comes out to $12.52 an hour....guess how many people in this country make $12.52 an hour....yep...millions.

That worn out argument isn’t working, can't compare U to the other airlines either cause they are not hurting as bad, or anywhere close to being extinct...

Things are bad alright and the one thing that was consistent was the fact I saw this coming from the first week I hired on so many years ago. I remember thinking that coming to the airlines was a bad move. I too like most employees stayed dreaming things would change, and change they did from a once good job to a downhill slippery slide into the crapper.

As far as benefits, they were worse from the day I started and have gone down hill from there.

I saw all this as plain as day and others saw it too because common sense is not exclusive, yet I stayed not wanting to face the scary term humans loathe "Change".

Well now things are changing, For The Worst, AGAIN.....

Everyone that can breathe knows from past events approximately what future events will bring. The pattern the U displays is like a big bright flashing sign that says: "Stay Away Lethal To Your Well Being" All this back and forth babble on these boards is mindless changing nothing and only giving false hope to the hopeless individuals out there who actually believe they are finished without U.

The way I see it: You’re finished regardless if you stay at U because your "Well Being" is worth too much to justify putting up with anymore of U. At this point who could fault anyone who walks away.

A good testimony is this fact: When people find out I retired from U whether it be Joe public or a person in U's management their comment is "always"--- Good For you and Best of Luck". Yes, even from management types who envy my move, that says it all.

Good Luck to All Employees. At this point even if you stay, you're finished anyway unless you believe $12.52 an hour is hard to come by.

cavalier

IMHO,

The only thing the judge should be looking at right now is the request for emergency relief, the cash savings IOW.

With cost savings accross the board, this place is toast...have you read the new cash forecasts with 54/barrel fuel.

PITBull, how much do think would fair for your group? How about you BoeingBoy, what would fair for us?

Sometimes I feel like bou guys lose the big picture (survival) and think this is a section 6 nego.

In terms of 1982 compared to our pay as pilots, I would guess we are very close to that.

PITBull, good luck to you and your group in court today, I am hoping for the best (whatever that is-my guess says a large paycut[prob 23%]).

BTW, thank you for your report, and I will look forward to your report tonight.

PITbull said:
...the company stressed to the judge that if the company fails to receive the cost savings it seeks in these proceedings, that the tenative agreement that is before ALPA for a vote, may fail...We can only hope that THAT doesn't influence the judge in doing the right thing for the rest of the employees who will not survive financially at all with these types of drastic acutely reduced wages. :(
[post="191028"][/post]​

What I can't understand is, if you feel like you aren't getting paid enough, you should leave for higher paying job.

The company doesn't owe you anything. If you think you are worth more, prove it to yourself by going to another company and getting that higher salary!!!!