Flight Attendant Threatened with Termination for Parody

The guy shouldn't be fired, but why doesn't he quit? Looking at his house, his spouse is doing very well.

Nobody is forcing any of us to work at AA. Getting sick of listening to all the whiners.

I wonder what his attitude would be if he was one of the f/a's being laid off.

The guy shouldn't be fired, but why doesn't he quit? Looking at his house, his spouse is doing very well.

Nobody is forcing any of us to work at AA. Getting sick of listening to all the whiners.

I wonder what his attitude would be if he was one of the f/a's being laid off.

So let me get this straight.

You CHOOSE to read this forum.
You CHOOSE to click on the link and watch the videos and take in the information in such detail that you see his house, and his spouse.

And then you CHOOSE to claim you are tired of listening to the whiners.

Uh, OK, I can see where you are coming from their comrade.

It seems to me you volunteer to listen to the whiners.

Reactions: 1 person
It's good comedy, but the fact remains that it's buried somewhere in the employee conduct section not to place the company in a unfavorable fashion.

Repeating the management letter verbatim was probably the biggest mistake...

His movie trailer for Aluminum Lady is far funnier, and probably something AA can't really touch because it isn't using an AA logo, nor is it repeating an internal memo verbatim.

More importantly... I saw a few references in the comments on one of the referring websites to free speech...

The right to free speech is pretty limited, in that only the government can't retaliate against you for what you say about it.

Anyone else can (and will) retaliate, especially if there's a code of conduct similar to what AA has in place. AA didn't have a social media policy in place when I was there, but I do know that the "portray the company in a negative fashion" line was used on several people at different times.

You can be a whistleblower under certain circumstances and done thru the appropriate channels, but posting a YouTube video is a much different argument to defend.

Reactions: 3 people
It's good comedy, but the fact remains that it's buried somewhere in the employee conduct section not to place the company in a unfavorable fashion.

Repeating the management letter verbatim was probably the biggest mistake...

His movie trailer for Aluminum Lady is far funnier, and probably something AA can't really touch because it isn't using an AA logo, nor is it repeating an internal memo verbatim.

More importantly... I saw a few references in the comments on one of the referring websites to free speech...

The right to free speech is pretty limited, in that only the government can't retaliate against you for what you say about it.

Anyone else can (and will) retaliate, especially if there's a code of conduct similar to what AA has in place. AA didn't have a social media policy in place when I was there, but I do know that the "portray the company in a negative fashion" line was used on several people at different times.

You can be a whistleblower under certain circumstances and done thru the appropriate channels, but posting a YouTube video is a much different argument to defend.

AA has real problems. Mr David isn't one of them. Maybe the company would be doing better if it had a better sense of humor. AA has long taken itself far to seriously. You can't put out a 3111 like they did and not expect reactions.

I havent seen AA regs since they removed the paper copy.Jetnet is unacceptable method,its unreliable.

Totally agree. For years, I kept my copy of the red binders on my desk, but those stayed behind when I resigned. Much easier to keep up with what was in print -- I'd get my paper inserts, read the changes, and toss the old. It was also more of an obstacle to changing policies -- printing up & distributing thousands of revisions had a cost, so only what needed to be changed got changed. We had to run the paper versions up the flagpole, which meant actually making sure the changes were worded correctly, didn't contradict, etc...

When the manuals went online, a lot of the built-in governance and change notification process went away. There was no simple way to keep abreast of changes (how hard would it have been to send out a broadcast message to managers?...). And increasingly, it looks like stuff was being changed by insignificant people without any real review process, or concern about the ramifications.

I'm not opposed to digital manuals, but you can't toss out the notification processes that went along with the paper versions.

NBCDFW -AA Flight Attendant Expects to Be Fired Over Parody Videos
A longtime American Airlines flight attendant said the company threatened to fire him on Friday over parody videos poking fun at company executives that he posted to YouTube.

"You know what? It gave everybody at American a laugh that we so needed," said Gailen David, of Miami, who has worked for American for 24 years.

<snip>

In a written statement, company spokesman Bruce Hicks said David's videos crossed a line.

"We expect our employees to treat one another with respect," he said. "While we recognize our employees' right to express their viewpoints, we have a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to attacking or harassing other employees."