Flight Attendant's Authorize Strike!

SKY HIGH

Veteran
May 22, 2004
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041213/dcm044_1.html

US Airways Flight Attendants Authorize Strike
Monday December 13, 6:07 pm ET
CHAOS(tm) Threatened if Contract is Abrogated

WASHINGTON, Dec. 13 /PRNewswire/ -- Flight attendants at US Airways overwhelmingly authorized their union to engage in CHAOS(tm) strike-related activities should a federal bankruptcy court permit management to abrogate its collective bargaining agreement with its employees.

"Our sisters and brothers have given voice to a clear and unmistakable message: 'Enough is enough,'" said Pat Friend, international president of the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA. "We will not stand by while our employers destroy our careers in a desperate attempt to cover for their own mistakes."

Friend noted that by seeking to scrap its legally binding contract, terminate its pension plan, cut retiree health benefits and impose intolerable wage cuts and work rule changes, US Airways is forcing its employees to mobilize for CHAOS (Create Havoc Around Our System), AFA's trademarked tactic of surprise, intermittent strikes on flights, dates and locations chosen solely at the union's discretion.

Tomorrow, flight attendants will join with hundreds of fellow workers and supporters from throughout the labor movement for an AFA-sponsored rally in Washington's Lafayette Park, in front of the White House, to protest corporate America's assault on their livelihoods, and to promote an economic agenda to save America's middle class. Similar rallies will be held at locations across the country.

Well now we know how USAirways plans to rid itself of the 1000 flight attendants it plans to "furlough." The AFA will whittle away their own ranks through CHAOS. Or, in other words, out-of-seniority furlough (without benefit of unemployment compensation or other furlough protections) at the hands of the union.

Should get very interesting when the first bunch of 30+ year int'l F/A's are told to play CHAOS on Flight 3 (FCO-PHL) for a few hours. What will happen when they finally get ready to work the flight and the company says their jobs have been eliminated and they will be recalled in seniority order when needed?

CHAOS will last a week or two until the word gets out that: CHAOS = furlough-without-unemployment payments.

This time around, it's all or nothing, gals and guys. Good luck.

Actually it will never happen. Theres no surprise that a vote was a yes vot, however notice the numbers voting and the margin it worn by, havent been listed. Just checked afa site, nothing yet. This will not happen folks. Plain and simple.... Mark my words, it will never happen or be effective. You heard it here!

usfliboi said:
Actually it will never happen. Theres no surprise that a vote was a yes vot, however notice the numbers voting and the margin it worn by, havent been listed. Just checked afa site, nothing yet. This will not happen folks. Plain and simple.... Mark my words, it will never happen or be effective. You heard it here!
[post="228680"][/post]​

Not surprised at the vote? Backtracking already, fliboi?

Wasn't it you who said "I think Pitbull will get a big surprise when the only people voting for a strike will be her fellow pitsburghites" and "I highly doubt there will be a vote to strike"?

Something else sounds familiar, too. Could it be the "hinting" that the vote count is suspicious? Sorta like what you said about the CWA strike vote - "Very interesting that they didnt say how many people voted...... Hmmm i wonder why?"

Jim

way to go f/as. my only question is this: is this like the only way mgmt will come to agreements that are similar to the cwa pax service? if it is then why cant the iam do anything like that?

backtracking?? not at all stand by what i said, a strike will not happen plain and simple. she will be surprised and so will pat friend, no one will support this strike. The very people who voted for the strike auth, are the people losing their jobs, not the people who have a career here and not in danger of being let go. so nope same ole here buddy, and yes the numbers will be interesting to see.... its one thing to vote to strike and another to see it thru. BTW Did CWA strike???????????? NOPE Why CWA knows its worthless ! So does afa it will not happen

After the ALPA MEC roll called by a 4-8 margin to not send out the company's September 6 proposal, the company sent another proposal on September 10 that included out of seniority furloughs.

Nycbusdriver's scenario is possible.

Separately, I agree with Usfliboi. The AFA CHAOS vote is a public relations statement with no real teeth. In fact, the vote could actually back fire and increase the odds Judge Mitchell will rule in favor of the company, who could then use the "self help" threat to seek even deeper cuts.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

usfliboi said:
backtracking?? not at all stand by what i said, a strike will not happen plain and simple. she will be surprised and so will pat friend, no one will support this strike. The very people who voted for the strike auth, are the people losing their jobs, not the people who have a career here and not in danger of being let go. so nope same ole here buddy, and yes the numbers will be interesting to see.... its one thing to vote to strike and another to see it thru. BTW Did CWA strike???????????? NOPE Why CWA knows its worthless ! So does afa it will not happen
[post="228690"][/post]​

usfliboi,

You and your math are WAY off base. According to local news sources at 6 PM tonight , the Strike Authorization if abrogation takes place ? was passed by an 80% to 20% margin. :p

Surely 80% cannot be under the vail threat of losing their jobs and still hope to remain an airline based on your logic. 20% will leave you nothing but a hollow shell of an airline...and the L-Word looms even heavier. :(

The 20% are those in near term range of retiring..and want to go out with whatever they can obtain by remaining. I'm sure you will see little different in the thinking of the other works groups either. :lol:

Thank God the AFA has the intestonal fortitude to stand up for themselves in these trying times. I applaud their efforts in the true spirit of the meaning. way to Go AFA !!! :up:

USA320Pilot said:
Separately, I agree with Usfliboi.
[post="228692"][/post]​
Now THERE'S a surprise.

You two make quite a team.

Add in PineyBob, and you could have a threesome.

Usfliboi, Do you actually WORK as a f/a? Just curious.....your post's seem to indicate differently. If you can't handle the HEAT (AFA) get out of the fire!!! We don't NEED YOU to vote... The rest of US have spoken. Take this back to CCY with you (it's the only place you can be in your glass house), WE WILL NOT STAND BY, WHEN EXECUTIVES PROSPER AT "OUR" EXPENSE!!!! GOOD DAY! :down:

i for one hope that this strike does not happen . because it will put many out of work. but if it does and that is big IF i will stand by my brothers and sisters and strike. even though i voted against it. either way, our employees livelyhoods will be hurt. lets hope we can figure something out soon and not let it come to this. :unsure:

How does this threat of random strikes do anything to help U? As a business traveller, I would now avoid U like the plague. As a leisure traveller, same thing. What does the threat of random strikes do other than drive paying customers away to your competitors?

Hey Biz Trav, BRONNER made that quite clear when HE SAID he would have to liquidate...That was before negotiations started... DON'T blame labor for managements short-sightedness. This is not a labor issue, this is about business decisions that were made long before NOW!!! This is a situation where management is trying to blow their own horn in the media...and they are taking the bait....STOP THE INSANITY!!!

Latest posts