Flight Attendants Elect New Leader

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Union's Charlotte employees vote to remove president

TED REED
Staff Writer
US Airways' Charlotte-based flight attendants voted out their local union president, apparently a sign of the frustration many feel as they face another round of concession demands from the airline.

But Mike Flores, a flight attendant for 22 years, may have as little room to maneuver as predecessor Steve Hearn, a six-year incumbent. In voting that ended Friday, Flores defeated Hearn 328-202.

"I decided to quit complaining and move into a position that I thought would help the flight attendants maintain their quality of life and help the company survive," said Flores, 47, who began flying for USAir in 1982.

Hearn said Friday he wasn't surprised by his loss. "People are angry," he said. "When you're angry, you can't make changes in upper management -- even though we'd like to -- so why not just change the management of the union?"

When he takes office July 1 as president of the Charlotte chapter of the Association of Flight Attendants, Flores will step into the same situation that confronts all of US Airways' union leaders.

The airline, which has already wrangled $1 billion in concessions from employees, says it needs more or it can't survive. Talks with the unions are expected to begin by May.

"We've done everything they wanted," Flores said. "But it's time to tell this company, `This is what our people think.' If the company doesn't acquiesce, we will have to keep negotiating."

Flores said he wants to represent members by bringing their ideas to management. For instance, he said, flight attendants don't like inefficient scheduling practices that often create three-hour waits in airports between flights. The problem might be solved, he said, if flight attendants agreed to fly on more than one type of aircraft -- a change he would be willing to consider.

Flores graduated from the University of Florida in 1980 and spent two years trying to make a living in pro golf before becoming a flight attendant. He is married to a US Airways flight attendant.

Two other candidates split 71 votes in the election, in which about 38 percent of 1,568 eligible voters participated. Results of the vote for Pittsburgh's local president will be announced Monday.

Twelve-year-old Lexi Flores says her dad used to come home from work each day, saying how bad things were. "But now, he's like, `I can think of ways to fix it,' " the sixth-grader said Friday.

Not really, she has an opponent, but I think she the President is a shoe in for re-election.

Attendants to choose new union leaders

By Thomas Olson
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, April 17, 2004

Flight attendants for US Airways will elect new officers for their Pittsburgh union local on Monday, days after their discontented counterparts at the Charlotte hub voted out their president on Friday.
"This did not come as a surprise to me. There's an angry group of members that wanted a change," said Steve Hearn, outgoing president of the Association of Flight Attendants Local 89, Charlotte. After two terms, he was defeated by Charlotte flight attendant Mike Flores.

"You can shoot the messenger, but the message is going to be the same from the company," said Hearn, a 23-year US Airways veteran.

US Airways has 1,568 flight attendants stationed in Charlotte, versus 1,150 in Pittsburgh. They and roughly 2,900 other flight attendants at US Airways are unhappy with the airline's message of more cost cuts.

"When I came into office (three) years ago, it was a landslide," said Teddy Xidas, president of AFA Local 40, Oakdale. "We are in more precarious times now."

The carrier has slashed local flight attendant ranks roughly in half since Sept. 11. Union members have taken two rounds of pay and benefit cuts since then.

"And now they want to get us to the table for round three," she said. "But right now, we are just trying to hold onto what we have."

Xidas, also a 23-year US Airways veteran, is being challenged in her re-election bid by Pittsburgh flight attendant Gineen Ferrara, former acting secretary/treasurer of Local 40.

Local Vice President Mark Gentile is opposed in his re-election bid by Pittsburgh flight attendants Randy Dickerson and Dan Ealing.
Thomas Olson can be reached at [email protected] or (412) 320-7854.

I, and many others, think the interview she gave to the Charlotte Observer is reprehensible. The apology for insulting the Charlotte flight attendants was pathetic at the very least. I hope she has apologized to Dr. Bronner for her lack of manners and couth. It is no wonder that her ex-husband is embarrassed by her. I bet she talked to him that way too.

Hula Girl said:
I, and many others, think the interview she gave to the Charlotte Observer is reprehensible. The apology for insulting the Charlotte flight attendants was pathetic at the very least. I hope she has apologized to Dr. Bronner for her lack of manners and couth. It is no wonder that her ex-husband is embarrassed by her. I bet she talked to him that way too.
LOL... I guess this is how you occupy your time... have fun!

BTW, for your FYI, she gave absolutely no apology to DELETED(there was no need to). In fact, he owes all of labor an apology for keeping this management still on the property with increase in compensation packages.....

and her ex husband and her are BEST FRIENDS.

They even go with their children on vacation together...eat your heart out missy. ;)

But I would venture to wager that you listen eagerly when men speak and never question authority.

Well gee then, I guess she lied about her ex being embarrassed by her. Speaking of occupying time, you have hit the 3000 post mark. (And so quick to answer my post.) Congratulations. What an accomplishment.

Thank you. See you haven't left the boards yet. I'll wait for you...

PS: Did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, Ted Reed was looking for a juicy story and just edited and cut sentences to make a story...uhh, nah....Thinking is just not your "strong suit". B)

DELETED BY MODERATOR

Flight attendants do have a job of it with this management more so than I ever thought until I met a few F/A's and see what kind of life they have working for this new management and their tyrannical rules.

I can understand their frustrations and agree with Steve Hearn about them being pissed and why he was the easy target.

Anyway, good luck to the F/A's and all of us working for less than honest people.

Now back to the thread and enough of the catfight, women.