Flight Attendants!

EMBFA

Veteran
Mar 1, 2006
We love our airline and want to provide the safest. most pleasant experience possible. We can do this by carefully following the procedures laid out for us by our great union and company.

Just some ideas! :shock: :lol:

* When scheduling calls you, you have 15 minutes to respond. Use them. You have 90 minutes to get to the airport. Use them. If you get there early, have a brownie at Au Bon Pain until the 90 minutes is up. It's the shortest call out in the industry- use it to it's full advantage!

* On time departures and quick turns are not as important as checking your equiptment. Check it thouroughly, maybe at the same pace as contract negotiations.

* Same for briefings. Read the entire card. Don't hurry through, it's important. Practice monitor and challenge while the agent awaits permission to board.

* Broken galley equiptment is dangerous to crew and passengers. Do not take off with dangerous equiptment.

* A healthy crew is a safe crew. You needs three meals a day, as close to meal times as possible. 30 minute turns are immaterial compared to your personal health. Each of you should get your own food, how are you to know what your co-workers want to eat.

* Even if you are just going from PHL to DCA, you do need potable water. What if you get stuck on the taxiway? Don't leave without it.

* Same for waste. Get it dumped, it is unpleasant and unsanitary.

* Seat dupes are not your problem. SHARES needs to figure it out. Have the captain call customer service. Understaffed? Not your fault. Remember you are not allowed to step off the aircraft.

* Families that are not seated together should be resolved in the boarding area, not onboard. Call customer service.

* You do not need to call scheduling and advise them you're going to go illegal in a few hours. They should be proactive and know this, and already be looking for a replacement crew.

* OPR stands for On Premise Reserve. You don't have to fly the saucer in the crew room, hang out in the airport, A-West is really pretty, or people watch in F. They can call you if they need you, and can wait as you safely make your way back from one part of the premise to another.

* If you are a reserve, if at all possible, don't pick up ETB unless totally necessary. These are your few off days. Tend bar somewhere, get a part time job at a Hallmark store, something easy, any will pay the same or better than ETB trips. Every time you pick one up you are telling the union and the company that the present system is fine, and you are okay with being the blockholder's b*tch. How fun would it be if all reserves refused to pick up ETB for a month.

* Every time you are quick called in the middle of the night for a transatlantic trip, call your union to double check that you are legal. Doesn't have to be your LEC, call the MEC or any member of the negotiating commitee. Your $40 pays for them to be available to you. Call them each and every time. On particularly boring days, call them and have them explain the reserve system in great detail. Call again for a refresher a week later. Be sure they understand the system in and out, and can recite things back to you without looking it up- make sure they are constantly aware of the reserves and the system.

* Be sure to make all announcements in your announcement booklet, regardless of time of day, from Buy In The Sky to whatever other advertising they want you to do. Have your announcement book ready to show upset customers, as well as the email address they can complain to.

* In your arrival announcement, don't say "If you're connecting to a US Airways Express flight..." and direct customers to terminal F. This is a fallacy. Republic Airlines is US Airways Express and those planes are parked at B and C. They should know that thier Express flight could be out of anywhere. The company made it complicated, not you.

* Don't forget to put claims in even if you won't get your guarantee. Someone is being paid to process them rather than upgrade the computer sytem to automatically update itself.

* Always show the boarding video, complete with blue men banging on garbage cans, at an audible volume, regardless of time of day. Again, have email address ready.

* Be sure to do your exit row briefing, verbatim, to every exit customer individually, and demand a verbal response. Rules are rules! Be sure to explain that this is not done on every carrier, but US Airways is requiring us to.

* If you are working A on the Airbus family, be sure to face the customers while preparing thier first class meals. The partition should be more than enough to block the view.

* If you are on a closet/galley disabled aircraft, be sure to put any extra catering supplies on the jetway. Extra is defined as in space meant for customers and thier luggage such as overhead bins and under seats. If you don't have enough snacks, water, or whatnot, simply explain that the storage space is gone because the company wanted to add more seats to the cabin.

* Remind customers that US Airways is a low cost business casual airline, even full fare Envoy Class customers.

Anyone else have any other helpful reminders? :lol:

We love our airline and want to provide the safest. most plesant experience possible. We can do this by carefully following the procedures laid out for us by our great union and company.

Just some ideas! :shock: :lol: :lol:

Uhh yeah...Flight Attendants could *cough* lengthen the boarding process when dealing with special accommodation passengers ...remember...paper work is detrimental to covering your asses...so say a Deaf US2 gets onboard...identifies himself as Hearing Impaired...go and #### at the GA for not handling the paper work ;)...Should add 5-10 Minutes because the GA will argue ;) or is that just dumb?

MOD NOTE: PLEASE refrain from quoting lengthy posts ESPECIALLY if your reply immediately or shortly follows the post you are responding to.

Thank you for reminding me. Specials such as disabled, hearing/vision impaired, UMs require INDIVIDUAL and detailed briefings. accomplish these before allowing anyone else to board- after all, with minimum staffing, if you are with a UM, who is at your required duty station for boarding?

embfa. that was the best !! i am printing it out and keeping it to shw to other f/a's !!

First and foremost....KNOW you contract....

Don't allow scheduling to make you do things that are NOT contractual. Don't violate what we have worked so hard to get....

i.e., When scheduling demands that you call them back from a landline phone when calling sick or personal...tell them NO!!!!! This is NOT contractual.......

Remember Scheduling IS NOT...I repeat.... NOT your supervisor nor your manager. They are hourly employees just like you and me. DO NOT allow them to belittle you or disrespect you. We are all grown adults and have to stand up for ourselves and demand that we are not treated like children.....by HOURLY EMPLOYEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make sure you take names and times and go on the AFA website and turn schedulers in that are mistreating you. They will turn you in in a heartbeat.........

EMBFA and Twicebaked thank you for the reminders. The most important is to KNOW YOUR CONTRACT!!!! We should always carry our contract just in case. No matter what scheduling does or is trying to do; be polite and informed when speaking with them. You can always contact the union after. There is no reason any of our F/A's should get into trouble for their tone with the company. Also keep in mind we all work for the same company. We all make mistakes from time to time. Starting a trip in a negative manner most likely will last the entire trip. Our primary duty is safety of the pax, plane and other crew members. There is no need to be rushed. Our equipment is our primary tools that we need for our job; everything else is fluff. I do get upset when I dont have the basic supplies. But I would rather leave a station without ice than any piece of emergency equipment ( which we never do). This creature that we all joined is changing for either good or bad, but our primary duty has never changed. Fly safe and have fun doing it!!!! :lol:

I’m printing it and showing it to the ON TIME PLOICE at my station as well as forwarding it to the agents union CWA

EMBFA,

A most interesting post, but what will it accomplish. It won't bring the company back to the table-it is apparent they just don't care about you. It won't force any action, because they don't care about the customers either.

All it will do is drive more customers away.

I wonder if there isn't another way to make your point that won't make it worse for customers .. and other work groups than it already is.

Your goal is admirable, and right on target--I just fear your tactics will only make things worse. There is already a wedge driven between the two pilot groups. Do you need one between the F/A's and the gate agents?

Art.

Let me explain this to you, working by the book is the ONLY way to force the company to the table and make them negotiate.

Having been through five CBAs at US, the only time the company got serious is when we worked by the book.

The only way they learn is when it effects their bottom line.

Don't allow scheduling to make you do things that are NOT contractual. Don't violate what we have worked so hard to get....

i.e., When scheduling demands that you call them back from a landline phone when calling sick or personal...tell them NO!!!!! This is NOT contractual.......

Remember Scheduling IS NOT...I repeat.... NOT your supervisor nor your manager. They are hourly employees just like you and me. DO NOT allow them to belittle you or disrespect you. We are all grown adults and have to stand up for ourselves and demand that we are not treated like children.....by HOURLY EMPLOYEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make sure you take names and times and go on the AFA website and turn schedulers in that are mistreating you. They will turn you in in a heartbeat.........
Also ..do not belittle and disrespect the schedulers. Yes, I know that schedulers can often be rude for no reason ..but we also know that crew members are often rude to schedulers for no reason as well. Knowing your contract is also important for not giving schedulers crap when they assign something to you that IS legal. Crewmembers dont have the "big picture" as to what is going on in the operation at a given time. Most of the times, there is a valid reason for why something was done to a crew member's schedule. Could there have been a better solution? Possibly, but during irregular ops there isn't tme to look for multiple solutions. and yes, I know that sometimes schedulers just do things "just to do them" . .but that is NOT done the majority of the time (of course I have no idea what the practices are back east)

In addition, some areas of the contract can be interpreted in different ways by different people. IN these cases, the interpretation is given to schedulers BY managment--keep that in mind as well when you disagree with an interpretatioin and think something WAS done illegally.

Have they done this? OMG!

EMBFA,

A most interesting post, but what will it accomplish. It won't bring the company back to the table-it is apparent they just don't care about you. It won't force any action, because they don't care about the customers either.
I think that the East flight attendants and pilots will work safely together by following every single rule published by the company and union. We will support each other through this merger by being as concientious and professional as possible.

These are great suggestions and cannot be disputed as they follow all of the Company's ludicrous Policies and Procedures! IF I decide to return to US Airways from vacation I will make sure to implement these guidelines.

Since I always work Lead position, I will always carry out a VERY detailed initial crew briefing pointing out these items to my crew. If a RV replaces any of the crewmembers in the middle of a trip...well, just going to have to do it all over again! ;)

Thanks EMBFA!

We love our airline and want to provide the safest. most pleasant experience possible. We can do this by carefully following the procedures laid out for us by our great union and company.

Just some ideas! :shock: :lol:

* When scheduling calls you, you have 15 minutes to respond. Use them. You have 90 minutes to get to the airport. Use them. If you get there early, have a brownie at Au Bon Pain until the 90 minutes is up. It's the shortest call out in the industry- use it to it's full advantage!

* On time departures and quick turns are not as important as checking your equiptment. Check it thouroughly, maybe at the same pace as contract negotiations.

* Same for briefings. Read the entire card. Don't hurry through, it's important. Practice monitor and challenge while the agent awaits permission to board.

* Broken galley equiptment is dangerous to crew and passengers. Do not take off with dangerous equiptment.

* A healthy crew is a safe crew. You needs three meals a day, as close to meal times as possible. 30 minute turns are immaterial compared to your personal health. Each of you should get your own food, how are you to know what your co-workers want to eat.

* Even if you are just going from PHL to DCA, you do need potable water. What if you get stuck on the taxiway? Don't leave without it.

* Same for waste. Get it dumped, it is unpleasant and unsanitary.

* Seat dupes are not your problem. SHARES needs to figure it out. Have the captain call customer service. Understaffed? Not your fault. Remember you are not allowed to step off the aircraft.

* Families that are not seated together should be resolved in the boarding area, not onboard. Call customer service.

* You do not need to call scheduling and advise them you're going to go illegal in a few hours. They should be proactive and know this, and already be looking for a replacement crew.

* OPR stands for On Premise Reserve. You don't have to fly the saucer in the crew room, hang out in the airport, A-West is really pretty, or people watch in F. They can call you if they need you, and can wait as you safely make your way back from one part of the premise to another.

* If you are a reserve, if at all possible, don't pick up ETB unless totally necessary. These are your few off days. Tend bar somewhere, get a part time job at a Hallmark store, something easy, any will pay the same or better than ETB trips. Every time you pick one up you are telling the union and the company that the present system is fine, and you are okay with being the blockholder's b*tch. How fun would it be if all reserves refused to pick up ETB for a month.

* Every time you are quick called in the middle of the night for a transatlantic trip, call your union to double check that you are legal. Doesn't have to be your LEC, call the MEC or any member of the negotiating commitee. Your $40 pays for them to be available to you. Call them each and every time. On particularly boring days, call them and have them explain the reserve system in great detail. Call again for a refresher a week later. Be sure they understand the system in and out, and can recite things back to you without looking it up- make sure they are constantly aware of the reserves and the system.

* Be sure to make all announcements in your announcement booklet, regardless of time of day, from Buy In The Sky to whatever other advertising they want you to do. Have your announcement book ready to show upset customers, as well as the email address they can complain to.

* In your arrival announcement, don't say "If you're connecting to a US Airways Express flight..." and direct customers to terminal F. This is a fallacy. Republic Airlines is US Airways Express and those planes are parked at B and C. They should know that thier Express flight could be out of anywhere. The company made it complicated, not you.

* Don't forget to put claims in even if you won't get your guarantee. Someone is being paid to process them rather than upgrade the computer sytem to automatically update itself.

* Always show the boarding video, complete with blue men banging on garbage cans, at an audible volume, regardless of time of day. Again, have email address ready.

* Be sure to do your exit row briefing, verbatim, to every exit customer individually, and demand a verbal response. Rules are rules! Be sure to explain that this is not done on every carrier, but US Airways is requiring us to.

* If you are working A on the Airbus family, be sure to face the customers while preparing thier first class meals. The partition should be more than enough to block the view.

* If you are on a closet/galley disabled aircraft, be sure to put any extra catering supplies on the jetway. Extra is defined as in space meant for customers and thier luggage such as overhead bins and under seats. If you don't have enough snacks, water, or whatnot, simply explain that the storage space is gone because the company wanted to add more seats to the cabin.

* Remind customers that US Airways is a low cost business casual airline, even full fare Envoy Class customers.

Anyone else have any other helpful reminders? :lol:

I can't stand flying with idiots like you. Just leave the industry please. You do have a choice. You union folks are complete idiots, once again.

Working by the rules does not make anyone an idiot, we see your maturity level by using insults.

Those are the company's rules and you can be disciplined for not following them and the company and the union BOTH agreed to the CBA, so there is nothing wrong with an employee going by what it states.