Flight Attendents

gabby

Senior
Jul 24, 2006
Got on a long flight and was i not impressed.
Why don't you (Flight Attendents) retire or quit if you hate your job so much?
You had the snarl on your face the second passengers started to arrive. All but 1 or 2 were friendly.
Your job is a joke, all you have to do is smile, be nice and serve me a meal. I asked you for a glass of water, not the statue of liberty. Why the attitude? You are going to put X airlines out of business because of it. Remember you work for the customers, you are there for their safety and service. I can't believe that only 45 min goes by you need to take a break. (For 2 hours). And why does it take 35 min for you to answer the f/a call button? Then another 15 to get the cup of coffee, then another 15 for the cream? Are you so bad at your job that you can't remember to bring cream with a cup of coffee? I heard complaints from many customers about the rude service. I was embarresed to be sitting in the same airplane. The lady next to me rang her bell and after she got tired of waiting she decided to go to the back to get a glass of water and was told by a F/A that she was too busy. All while 2 f/a's were sleeping in front. Those are the ones that we saw. Could have been more. I don't care who you are dealing with but you will get a lot less complaints if you were just NICE and Smile. Every person young and old should be answered with a sir or mam. Young or old. It's called for respect for the people paying your salary. Bottom line is that it is time to retire. You have milked the job long enough, just because you show up for work doesn't mean that you don't have to actually work when you get there. This isn't the DMV. Please quit and let some younger, fun, nice, energetic people do the job. Do it for the future of the airline.

Rant over....

Got on a long flight and was i not impressed.
Personally, I blame management, the unions, the economy, Obama, the Sandcastle, Scheduling, Sabre, the station managers, the FAA, TSA, and local media.

Take heart, I don't think the FA's really hated you: if they did you'd have been given a US Airways job application with your in-flight beverage.

But seriously, I can't stand miserable co-workers who wear all their chips on their shoulders, regardless of why they are miserable. Either one is a professional or one is not. I'm sorry you had a poor experience with US.

I also looked at your non-existent post history. I'm always suspicious of one post wonders.

Date of flight.
Flight number
Description of unpleasant F/As and what side, if a side of the a/c they worked on.

Send it to usairways.com.

That's what you do when you have an unpleasant experience. If any of it is true, we don't like working with it either.

I wish that people would realize that complaining to the front line does nothing. Complain to the people that cause the problems. They generally sit in an office where they excape the effects of their decisions. In US' case, it's six years of lousy pay, working conditions and deplorable morale. Having said that, those FAs decided to stay, so their customer service skills should be acceptable.

You have your bad apples out there. Not all are the way you experienced. The majority are professional and do a great job. That being said , We as f/a have gone through a lot of BS these past years form cuts in our pay to demoralizing work conditions but yet we still hang on .Why because no matter what it still is an easy and good job. Sorry you had a bad experience . Take care.

A lot of times, customers have unreasonable expectations...usually from watching TV. "Coffee, TEA or me?" We are now in the days of "you get what you pay for." I know from a customer service school that I attended (automotive), the number one cause of customer complaints is, unreasonable customer expectations.

A lot of times, customers have unreasonable expectations...usually from watching TV. "Coffee, TEA or me?" We are now in the days of "you get what you pay for." I know from a customer service school that I attended (automotive), the number one cause of customer complaints is, unreasonable customer expectations.
Yeah, he seems like a very "unreasonable customer" what was he thinking, expecting a smile and a cup of java (with cream no less) THE NERVE.

Face it, there are a lot of snarky/snarly unhappy folks clomping up and down the aisles of U. And hey, some of them arn't young (or thin) you would think they would understand a smile makes up for a lot of short comings! :blink:

I have flown on many other airlines and this experience was the worst. I just can't believe in this job climate the F/A's are annoyed at having to do their job. I know that the job isn't what it used to be and customer quality has gone down but they are still the ones paying the salaries. When you only do 3 or 4 trips per month and you hate doing it, do us all a favor and quit. Try find another job right now. I agree the problem is with the supervisors that allow such negativity to exist. A 10 hr atlantic trip is really not that hard. If it is and you can't be nice and polite doing your job then you should just quit. The airline needs some youth. Male and Female.

Bottom line here is ..Happy employees means happy customers. Treat your employees right and they will be happy to do what is expected of them and do it with a happy smile on thier faces. You do not have to look far for an example....... SOUTHWEST.

That being said , We as f/a have gone through a lot of BS these past years form cuts in our pay to demoralizing work conditions but yet we still hang on .

Really? I know it's not the same as it was before, but the fact is that it is an unskilled profession, as listed by the department of labor. I did that gig myself, about a decade ago at company even more poorly run. And even that is something that blows my current productivity/wages away by comparison. Granted I do better now in absolute terms, I suppose, but I have never worked so little for so much as when I was an FA.

Perhaps this guy's claims are exaggerated, perhaps not, but I see something we're all missing here. It doesn't matter what WE think about the experience. It only matters what paying customers think. How this simple concept is so easily lost among the bloated ranks of underutilized airline service professionals is something I will never reconcile with. Okay now my rant's over. Take Care.

Three thoughts:
1.I have found that the FA's are generally the BEST aspect of US service, (although there ain't much service nowadays on US or any other domestic airline).
2. I have found that people (including FA's) generally treat me the way I treat them. A little bit of compassion goes a long way.
3. Having said that, I have found that I have gotten the worst service from US FA's on transatlantic flights, especially in F. The burn-out factor there is readily apparent....

I have flown on many other airlines and this experience was the worst. I just can't believe in this job climate the F/A's are annoyed at having to do their job. I know that the job isn't what it used to be and customer quality has gone down but they are still the ones paying the salaries. When you only do 3 or 4 trips per month and you hate doing it, do us all a favor and quit. Try find another job right now. I agree the problem is with the supervisors that allow such negativity to exist. A 10 hr atlantic trip is really not that hard. If it is and you can't be nice and polite doing your job then you should just quit. The airline needs some youth. Male and Female.

Well you try making 20K a year and be happy about it.. not hardly, take your blabber elsewhere. You have Zero clue about what you are talking about.

Well you try making 20K a year and be happy about it.. not hardly, take your blabber elsewhere. You have Zero clue about what you are talking about.

I think that's the OP's point.....if you're going to take the 20K a year to do the job, do it and don't be a bit$% about it. Nobody is forcing you to stay. If you don't like it, don't stay and make it miserable for your customers and coworkers who really want to do a good job.......go be miserable somewhere else that's not in a service industry.

2. I have found that people (including FA's) generally treat me the way I treat them.

So true, yet, so lost, on so many.

I do regret that this poster had a bad experience. I regret even more that it is a common occurance, and that there is little excuse for this behavior.

2. I have found that people (including FA's) generally treat me the way I treat them. A little bit of compassion goes a long way.

I agree 100%. From what i saw there were customers saying the please and thank you's but never from the employees. When i got my lunch sandwich i was asked if i wanted something to drink. Sure i will have a glass of water please. She was out of water. Got a another bottle from another f/a. Then asked me if i wanted anything else. I said "No thanks". Then she proceeded to serve the customers behind me. I asked her for my glass of water. She said that i already said i didn't want anything else.
Yes, nothing else but the water. Then she mumbled sarcastic under her breath but i could hear it.."Oh i'm wrong your right". The lady beside me just laughed. We couldn't believe that she was acting like she was 10. You asked me for water, i said yes. Now we have this attitude because you can't remember 10 seconds ago. Please i will ask again. Quit. When you are in a customer service industry you shouldn't hate people. Never once did i hear the f/a's the whole flight say sir, madam, please, thankyou. Only from the customers.
I doubt that these older f/a's are making $20k. There is no excuse for the rude behavior expecially when they are most likely makeing $40k plus.