flight engineers

dash8dr

Dec 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
My lastest job in the aviation world as a flight mech on a B737-800 has wetted my appetite and i am curious about becoming a flight engineer when this job is over. Can anyone provide any information as to weather they think this may be a viable option for my career. The other thing is where is a good place to look for training? Are PFE's becoming a thing of the past or are companies more inclined to employ a PFE rather than a pilot looking for an upgrade to the right seat as soon as he can get it. Anyones perspective would be appreciated.

My lastest job in the aviation world as a flight mech on a B737-800 has wetted my appetite and i am curious about becoming a flight engineer when this job is over. Can anyone provide any information as to weather they think this may be a viable option for my career. The other thing is where is a good place to look for training? Are PFE's becoming a thing of the past or are companies more inclined to employ a PFE rather than a pilot looking for an upgrade to the right seat as soon as he can get it. Anyones perspective would be appreciated.

It's a dead career field. I would recommend you avoid it. The airplanes with engineers are rapidly declining and the old junk that remains is being flown by the scum-bag 36th street freighter outfits like Centurion, Arrow, Tradewinds, Kalitta, etc.

Atlas is ridding itself of it's 747 Classics which will throw a bunch of highly qualified engineers on the street.

It is possible, however it is a shrinking field with only a few operators still using pfe's and not a whole lot of opportunities. I did it myself and still fly for the same place as an fo. We do use flight mechanics and are currently hiring as far as I know; there is a chance of becoming an fe, but no guarantees. There is not a lot of movement in the fe ranks because as previously stated there is nowhere to go. The ride on mechanics basically live on the airplane for 20 days a month maybe see a hotel every few days for a shower. It varies with the schedule for the airplane. Good Luck.

Latest posts