Florida Facilities

ISP

Senior
Apr 3, 2003
I really don't understand what US is doing with their terminals in two cities where they currently, or are going to be in the near future, operate 40+ flights per day. Upon further review:

MCO:

At the ticket counter, you can't even be helped by a real agent anymore... it is literally impossible. The damn kiosks are in front of every position, and most of the time they don't work for me in MCO.

Moving up to the gate area, it still looks as if the hurricanes blew through there last week. Every ceiling tile is still missing in the US corridor. I decided to take a walk through the NW/UA/DH gate areas, and although there are still some tiles missing there, it isn't nearly as bad. I don't know if it is on the airport authority to fix things, but US should reallly put some pressure on. US color scheme also has not been removed from the gates they gave up to DH.

Spoke with several gate agents inquiring when the Club would reopen. They looked at me like I was nuts. They all said that nobody from US has been inside since the damage occured and they all believed that the club would never be reopening. I decided to call the club 800 # to get an update. They told me "in fact we got some news today!" When I asked what it was, they said "we've been told we are getting an answer in mid-February" What kind of news is this???

FLL:

This company is opening a focus city in 3 weeks, and the terminal doesn't have a restaurant! (don't tell me that the pizza place and that take-out bar thing are viable).

Can someone please explain this?

ISP,

We should hook you up with Bruce Ashby, the new senior VP that took Baldanza's place.

You have valid concerns, and you deserve an answer.

This place is not the place to get that answer.

ISP said:
I really don't understand what US is doing with their terminals in two cities where they currently, or are going to be in the near future, operate 40+ flights per day.  Upon further review:

MCO:

At the ticket counter, you can't even be helped by a real agent anymore... it is literally impossible.  The damn kiosks are in front of every position, and most of the time they don't work for me in MCO.

Moving up to the gate area, it still looks as if the hurricanes blew through there last week.  Every ceiling tile is still missing in the US corridor...

FLL:

This company is opening a focus city in 3 weeks, and the terminal doesn't have a restaurant!  (don't tell me that the pizza place and that take-out bar thing are viable). 

Can someone please explain this?
[post="242462"][/post]​

Hey, speaking of MCO, someone told me that the former Usairways res office in orlando is still owned by U. They said it was completely run down and grass and weeds had taken over. And there is a 4-sale sign in front. Does anyone know why, two years after it has closed it hasn't been sold? Seems like with the dire straits the company is in they would sell that building? Justs wondering

4merresrat said:
Does anyone know why, two years after it has closed it hasn't been sold? Seems like with the dire straits the company is in they would sell that building? Justs wondering
[post="242465"][/post]​

Could it be simply that there are no takers? ;)

ISP said:
I decided to call the club 800 # to get an update. They told me "in fact we got some news today!" When I asked what it was, they said "we've been told we are getting an answer in mid-February" What kind of news is this???

[post="242462"][/post]​

It sounds like the news we get from Air Traffic Control when we are issued flight delays. "We should be able to give you an estimate of your delay in about 90 minutes."

Maybe the FAA ATC is going to fix the MCO club! :lol:

ISP -

The repair of facilities in MCO are the responsibility of the Airport Authority. While we can try to put pressure on the Airport to do repairs, we can not make them fix it any faster. Our terminal did sustain more damage then most.

I can't speak about the reopening/closure of the club in MCO with any real knowledge, but it may be an issue of cost. While the airport may be responsible for the repair of the facility, there is a cost to replace the furnishings and other items damaged by the storm. Perhaps the costs out weight the benefits of the facility.

As for FLL, we have no control over the concession areas that are on the concourse. Just because you announce a "hub/focus city" in FLL doesn't mean that the concessions will just pop up over night. If the Hub/Focus city prove to be viable, then those type of concession areaas will open. The major focus for US is to ease the Customs / Immigration clearence process and improve the ability to connect expeditiously.

As for the MCO Res facilities......if there is a 4 sale sign in front of the property, then we are trying to sell it. The hard part is getting a buyer.

jimcfs said:
Could it be simply that there are no takers? ;)
[post="242468"][/post]​

No, I doubt that is it, I think it is a pretty high-rent area. They are building like crazy in that office park. And it was a nice facility. Besides, you would think they would sell it even at a lower price, then just let it sit there and get run down.

Why sell it at a loss? Just because they are building new facilities in that area, doesn't mean that office space is at a premium. Perhaps it is cheaper for a company to build their own facility to their specific needs and specs, versus remodeling an exsisting facility. Perhaps there is some tax benefit in holding on to the property and not selling it at a loss.

700UW said:
Did they not dipose of the building in the last bankruptcy?
[post="242585"][/post]​
Not sure if they disposed of it in BK, 700 But...if they did not, the reason they would have kept it would be for tax purposes only. Even though a company is in BK, property that they may own, could still be used as a significant tax write-off.....Thats when all the accountants get to "cook the books", so to speak!! GOOD DAY!!!

Thanks for the insight above, all.

Speaking of the fact that the company still owns the MCO RES building, I was looking through the dockets at other things the company still owns (few things!). I noticed that they own a cargo building at ISP! Can anyone explain that?

ISP said:
I noticed that they own a cargo building at ISP! Can anyone explain that?
[post="242631"][/post]​

Maybe they are planning on turning it into a private terminal to compete with WN. The maintenance hangar turned terminal in DC was a nice building. Maybe there's hope for you guys in ISP yet! Hey Art, how does that sound? :shock: ;)

I do know that we are finally releasing 2 of our 7 gates and associated space in TPA sometime soon. This makes sense finally since we only have 27 flights skd for our busy season coming up and dont really need more than the 5 gates even if they add flights and space them accordingly. Only problem is the agent break room and supervisor office is located in the space to be vacated so we will be moving (again!).