Flt 31 makes emergeny landing at LAX

I wonder why the flight deck initiated this - it could not have been manuel as it involved no decompression issues.

You are absolutely correct! It could not have been Manuel. Manuel was not on the flight because he got caught and deported back to Mexico. However, if the flight deck initiated the deployment of the masks it would be manual. Did you mean to say "it could not have been automatic as it involved no decompression issues"? :lol:

You are absolutely correct! It could not have been Manuel. Manuel was not on the flight because he got caught and deported back to Mexico. However, if the flight deck initiated the deployment of the masks it would be manual. Did you mean to say "it could not have been automatic as it involved no decompression issues"? :lol:

From now on I will post and spell check earlier in the evening!! My bad!! :lol:

So can anyone shed light over why the oxygen masks were deployed? Had there been a fire somewhere that would have only made it worse. I wonder why the flight deck initiated this - it could not have been manuel as it involved no decompression issues.

There was no fire. Apparently one of the engines(LH, I believe)starting leaking oil internally into it's compressor section and filled the cabin with a nasty OIL MIST. They are still trying to get all the oil out of the A/C packs and ducting, so the aircraft can be returned to service.

So, there wasn't impending doom?

I wasn't going to join in on the monday morning quarterback questioning of the decision to evac without the Captain calling for it, but I now see why some people have questioned the FA's judgment over blowing the slides as quickly as they did...

From what's been mentioned above, it does sound like they could have waited a few minutes to get to a gate or an airstairs.

From what's been mentioned above, it does sound like they could have waited a few minutes to get to a gate or an airstairs.
It's clearly spelled out in both cockpit and FA procedures that the captain will communicate to the #1 whether an evacuation will take place and which doors should or should not be used if that info is pertinent. This was an anticipated event, not like running off the runway or something where there would be no time for such communication from the cockpit and the FA's would be left to make the decision on their own.

More info needed, folks. We can't judge anyone just yet.

MK

Turbine engine oil is toxic. So making the passengers sit there and breathe it to save a few bucks on some emergency slides, makes it sound like they had a "bonehead" for a captain. It doesn't matter whether if it's a fire or oil mist, get the people out of there!

If I was the Captain and it was Oil Mist, I'd tell the #1 Get the Passengers out of the plane as fast as you can.

Back