Fly, US Airways

Gee, Jason, tell us what you really think.

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Fly, US Airways

Friday, September 1, 2006

Here's hoping that those local government officials responsible for responding to US Airways' invitation to compete for a flight operations center tell the airline to take a flying leap ("Pittsburgh among three choices for flight center," Aug. 29 and PghTrib.com).

In the past, Pittsburgh has done a poor job at providing incentives for businesses to move into the area, or even stay in town, while other metropolises -- like Austin, Charlotte, Columbus and Phoenix -- have grown steadily.

However, making an offer to US Airways is no way to turn the tide and start bringing jobs back to town. After US Airways bungled its way into bankruptcy, it used Pittsburgh as the scapegoat for its losses.

Now the airline is attempting to siphon one last drop of blood from the city by inviting it to submit a bid that it will very likely use as a bargaining chip for extracting concessions from the civic leaders in preferred locations -- either Charlotte or Tempe.

Pittsburgh needs to focus on promoting its homegrown start-ups and attracting investment from quality companies from outside the area, not at playing the pawn for a mismanaged airline that already once took the good things that the region had to offer and frittered them away.

Jason Marcheck
West View

I agree with this guy 100%. PIT was royaly screwed by U in BK and continues to see a pulldown of flying. Southwest has moved in to fill the void. Apparently, once again, LUV can make money in markets U cannot.

I'd tell U no thanks. In fact, since you made us the offer here's one for you guys. If you want to continue flying in and out of PIT we're going to charge you a USAirways only landing fee of 500 bucks per flight to make up for what you cost us with your dishonest tactics during BK. Don't want to pay it? Take your jets and fly them somewhere else. Southwest will fill the void.

pilot

I agree with this guy 100%. PIT was royaly screwed by U in BK and continues to see a pulldown of flying. Southwest has moved in to fill the void. Apparently, once again, LUV can make money in markets U cannot.

I'd tell U no thanks. In fact, since you made us the offer here's one for you guys. If you want to continue flying in and out of PIT we're going to charge you a USAirways only landing fee of 500 bucks per flight to make up for what you cost us with your dishonest tactics during BK. Don't want to pay it? Take your jets and fly them somewhere else. Southwest will fill the void.

pilot

I was going to say something along these lines but will simply say: AMEN

Yea, Pittsburgh will show 'em just like they always do. Don't work with 'em at all! Make US Airways move out! Shut down maintenance, close the hangars, close OCC, kick out all of the flights, close the terminal, close the crew base, furlough any remaining employees...

"Thats the way we've always done it."

Great idea, we can use the time in Charlotte.

Many will say that Pittsburgh never really supported Usairways and did nothing but bash them in the news and the paper. Well did Usairways EVER do any good for the city and surrounding area? Uh, I think that would be a HUGE NO. They did nothing but supress the market, charge EXTREMELY high fares and force some to other airports for lower fares. They monopolized the place. So, they thought the city would just shut down without US. Well every airline there including the legacies have added service and people are really not suffering. Well if they are forced to PHL to connect I'd call that suffering. Everyone has moved on. The only suffering I see is all of us that were displaced from 2003 and on. Us did nothing but a dirty handed screwjob in BK. Seems the airport can't even accomodate passengers with enough parking. They are constantly adding parking and created a new security screening overflow in the old express terminal. YEP USairways you really showed the city. :rolleyes:

IMO its all about jobs and taxes. If the City of Pittsburgh can increase both I don't see any reason why they wouldn't pursue the opportunity regardless of the past.

IMO its all about jobs and taxes. If the City of Pittsburgh can increase both I don't see any reason why they wouldn't pursue the opportunity regardless of the past.

It's not the city. They'd be looking out in the burbs, probably Moon or Robinson.

Neither one of those places is having any trouble on the developing jobs score.

Well if they are forced to PHL to connect I'd call that suffering. Everyone has moved on. The only suffering I see is all of us that were displaced from 2003 and on. :rolleyes:
This is very true....and my refusal to connect through PHL is why UA gets so much of my business. It is very sad all of the jobs lost, that's the worst part of what US did to PIT. The customers got over it, and as you said, many have. It's the employees that I feel got the raw deal. Of course the county (and us taxpayers) got screwed too with the BK deal.

This is very true....and my refusal to connect through PHL is why UA gets so much of my business. It is very sad all of the jobs lost, that's the worst part of what US did to PIT. The customers got over it, and as you said, many have. It's the employees that I feel got the raw deal. Of course the county (and us taxpayers) got screwed too with the BK deal.

Most cities will do anything to get an airline hub, just as they would to get an NFL franchise. Pittsburgh had it made with USAir operating over 300 flts a day to most of the country's business and vacation destinations. While most airlies were leaving PIT in the 1970's and 80's..USAir was bringing new service in to the city and constantly hiring, bringing good paying jobs to Alllegheny County. But I guess that it wasn't good enough. So now Pittsburgh has a modern terminal that's only handling 50% of the psgr traffic it was designed for. How soon will it be before one of the concourses is walled off, like what happened in Dayton? Despite the presence of WN and other service additions..it will NEVER be the same in PIT. USAirways has shown they can prosper without it..

" Southwest has moved in to fill the void. Apparently, once again, LUV can make money in markets U cannot".

Slightly off topic, but I recently read in another venue that WN has said neither PIT nor PHL has been profitable yet.

Just an FYI.

Most cities will do anything to get an airline hub, just as they would to get an NFL franchise. Pittsburgh had it made with USAir operating over 300 flts a day to most of the country's business and vacation destinations. While most airlies were leaving PIT in the 1970's and 80's..USAir was bringing new service in to the city and constantly hiring, bringing good paying jobs to Alllegheny County. But I guess that it wasn't good enough. So now Pittsburgh has a modern terminal that's only handling 50% of the psgr traffic it was designed for. How soon will it be before one of the concourses is walled off, like what happened in Dayton? Despite the presence of WN and other service additions..it will NEVER be the same in PIT. USAirways has shown they can prosper without it..

Well said. Except for the Steelers and Wings, Suds and Spuds, not much reason to go to PIT anyway!

Well said. Except for the Steelers and Wings, Suds and Spuds, not much reason to go to PIT anyway!
Totally agree! Never understood how or why such a large hub was EVER located in a city the size of PIT.....outside of the locals (employees and the residents) I questioned what the appeal was go there. I was based there for several years and NEVER warmed up to the dismal weather, bad roads and "regional mindedness"....restaurants were great but I certainly don't miss it!

Slightly off topic, but I recently read in another venue that WN has said neither PIT nor PHL has been profitable yet.

Just an FYI.

Which "venue" did you read this?

Southwest has stated many times (see numerous press releases and news articles on the web) that they want to double to well over 100 flights/day out of PHL. The only hold up is gates. Terminal D and E at PHL are just starting a $200M refurbishment/expansion. When completed, WN will get at least 4 new gates. They actually asked for an entire Terminal (D or E), but that was denied. The landing fees at PHL are less than at any major airport in the mid-Atlantic, except BWI - which is State owned and subsidized. If WN has not turned a profit at PHL, it surely isn't because of loads or landing fees. Weather and ATC delays - maybe, but surely not lack of passengers. I don't know about PIT, but WNs been there about 15 months and really hasn't added more than 1 or 2 new cities and gate space is surely not a problem.

Which "venue" did you read this?

Southwest has stated many times (see numerous press releases and news articles on the web) that they want to double to well over 100 flights/day out of PHL. The only hold up is gates. Terminal D and E at PHL are just starting a $200M refurbishment/expansion. When completed, WN will get at least 4 new gates. They actually asked for an entire Terminal (D or E), but that was denied. The landing fees at PHL are less than at any major airport in the mid-Atlantic, except BWI - which is State owned and subsidized. If WN has not turned a profit at PHL, it surely isn't because of loads or landing fees. Weather and ATC delays - maybe, but surely not lack of passengers. I don't know about PIT, but WNs been there about 15 months and really hasn't added more than 1 or 2 new cities and gate space is surely not a problem.
THE ONLY REASON WN WNET TO PHL AND PIT WAS TO PUT THE FINAL NAILS IN LCC'S COFFIN...DIDNT QUITE WORK OUT THAT WAY. THE ONLY THING THEY CAN DO IN PHL IS KEEP ADDING FLIGHTS TO PUT THE PRESSURE ON...AS FOR PIT WHO KNOWS??????

" Southwest has moved in to fill the void. Apparently, once again, LUV can make money in markets U cannot".

Just an FYI.

Citation?

Totally agree! Never understood how or why such a large hub was EVER located in a city the size of PIT

So why does CLT have a hub with fewer people and less O&D?

Latest posts