For Chip Re: Psa Airlines

skyguy25

Advanced
Nov 30, 2003
Chip-
Very interested in your thoughts with regard to PSA Airlines their business, role to Mainline, future routes, bases, ect., and their interaction with the soon to be merged Alleghney and Piedmont. Rumors circulate that as mainline continues to shrink, PSA will move into some of the mainline markets, including Florida, and may start point to point routes out of places like CAK to compete with FL and WN. Thanks in advance

Not Chip, but would like to reply.
I think that using PSA to bypass some of the hubs would be a great move. I know that there are more and more RJS (and big jets) coming into TPA bypassing hubs (and in many markets we used to serve) that would be a great competitive advantage I feel.
DL Connection is using RJS to DCA/IND/CMH
FL JetConnect is using them to TLH/MIA
NW has just added big jet service to Michigan (FNT/LAN?)

Also to go back into some of the markets we've almost abandoned in the past few years.
DAY/CLE/BWI/ORF and to add a little heat to some other carriers. I'm not saying that we need hourly flights to these cities, but to offer an alternative with one or two nonstops a day to select cities (Florida/LGA/BOS/DCA) would add back to the brand loyalty that I'm sure we've lost in many cities since we've stopped flying to a lot of places.

I know of several people who dont use US as their carrier of choice now since we dropped most intra Florida flying. They cant get there on us, so when they have to fly elsewhere, where we do fly, we arent necessarily their first choice. I'm sure the same is true in Upstate NY and Ohio, etc where we've dropped loads of flights.

I have no doubt that is their plan. Why not fly a 70 seater out of DAY direct to MCO, FLL, TPA. We could do the same out of a lot of markets. PSA will be recruiting flight attendants in February in the following markets: LAX, SFO, SAN, YOW, DEN just to name a few.

Poor Prop Driver-

Is PSA really having open houses in those cities or are you joking? Why would they try to recruit FAs in Canada, dont they have to be US citizens? And who in thier right mind would commute/move from the West Coast to work on an RJ based out of Dayton OH? I always thought it was amusing when mainline would have open houses in places like SEA and SAN, I'd be really shocked if PSA did. Particularly with that name- in California they remember what PSA really was and what USAir did to it.