For this aviator, the sky has been her only limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Veteran
Nov 15, 2005
Stephanie Wallach made Alaska Airlines history Wednesday when she hung up her captain's hat following her final flight. The Medina resident became the first female Alaska pilot to reach the Federal Aviation Administration-mandated retirement age. She turns 60 today.

It was one of many firsts that have highlighted Wallach's flying career. She was one of the first 10 female commercial pilots, the first woman to pilot a Boeing 727 passenger jet and a founding member of the International Society of Women Airline Pilots.

What she wanted after studying French and philosophy at Wells College in New York was a job that didn't involve typing.

She became an assistant film editor. She was developing a career and saving a bit of money when she started thinking about taking a trip. Instead, she took her first flying lesson.

"I fell in love with flying," Wallach said. "I was obsessed. "

She plowed through lessons and studies, earning advanced ratings. Film editing was left in the prop wash as she became a flight instructor and ferried planes for people. On a whim, she drove cross-country with a friend to Los Angeles. She stayed. "There was an airport every five minutes and I could fly all year around, which I couldn't do in New York," she said.

Seattle Times

Stephanie Wallach made Alaska Airlines history Wednesday when she hung up her captain's hat following her final flight. The Medina resident became the first female Alaska pilot to reach the Federal Aviation Administration-mandated retirement age. She turns 60 today.

It was one of many firsts that have highlighted Wallach's flying career. She was one of the first 10 female commercial pilots, the first woman to pilot a Boeing 727 passenger jet and a founding member of the International Society of Women Airline Pilots.

What she wanted after studying French and philosophy at Wells College in New York was a job that didn't involve typing.

She became an assistant film editor. She was developing a career and saving a bit of money when she started thinking about taking a trip. Instead, she took her first flying lesson.

"I fell in love with flying," Wallach said. "I was obsessed. "

She plowed through lessons and studies, earning advanced ratings. Film editing was left in the prop wash as she became a flight instructor and ferried planes for people. On a whim, she drove cross-country with a friend to Los Angeles. She stayed. "There was an airport every five minutes and I could fly all year around, which I couldn't do in New York," she said.

Seattle Times
:D :D :D What a nice tribute, she sounds like a wondeful asset to AS and im sure she will be very missed. Best of luck to her in her retirement, although doesnt sound like she'll be stopping anytime soon!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.