Former Crew Scheduler....

hula-flyguy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2005
Joe started on the ramp in PIT in the early 80's. He moved to Flight Attendant Scheduling in the late 80's. After a brief stint as a System Crew Scheduler, Joe returned to F/A sched. as a supervisor. He left the company to pursue his life long dream of being a police officer. He will be greatly missed by those whos life he had touched.

Joe and Tammi have left behind 3 children ages 16 and under.

Officer commits suicide
By: Bill Vidonic, Times Staff
02/14/2007

AMBRIDGE - An Ambridge police officer who authorities say was still despondent over the suicide of his wife in November apparently took his own life Tuesday evening.
Advertisement

Joseph P. Maykuth, 44, of Conway was found with a single gunshot wound to the chest around 9 p.m. Tuesday. Beaver County Deputy Coroner Bill Pasquale said an autopsy had not been completed as of Wednesday afternoon, but he believes Maykuth committed suicide.

Maykuth was found by police inside his car, its engine running and headlights on, in Walter Panek Park in the borough. Pasquale said Maykuth was not on duty at the time of his death.

Police Chief Mark J. Romutis said officers are struggling to deal with Maykuth's death.

"We're missing him down here a lot," Romutis said. "We're all having a tough time with it."

The chief said Maykuth left a note, but would not disclose the contents.

Tammi Maykuth, 46, was found by her husband in a van outside their Conway home on Nov. 27. The coroner's office ruled that she committed suicide by shooting herself in the chest.

Joseph Maykuth was hired as a full-time Ambridge police officer in July 2003 and had worked there part time for four years before that. Romutis said that after his wife's death, "he was not the same Joe that we'd known."

Yet in recent days, Romutis said, there was no indication of what was about to happen.

Romutis said that he had planned on sending Maykuth to instructor development school in April and that Maykuth "seemed enthusiastic about it.

"He was talking about the future," Romutis said. "We can't figure it out. We're all stunned about it."

Joseph Paul Maykuth
02/15/2007
Email to a friendPrinter-friendly
CONWAY Joseph Paul Maykuth, 44, of Conway, died Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2007.

Born April 11, 1962, in Sewickley, a son of Joseph and Lucetta Wilyot Maykuth, of Center Township, he was a seven year veteran of the Ambridge Police Department. He was a member of Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church, Conway; Free & Accepted Masons, Ambridge Lodge 701; Fraternal Order of Police, Beaver Valley Lodge 4, and the Beaver County Emergency Services Unit. He was a firearms instructor and armorer for the Ambridge Police Department.

He was preceded in death by his wife, Tami L. Maykuth, on Nov. 27, 2006; paternal grandparents, Joseph and Julia Maykuth, and his maternal grandparents, John and Carmella Wilyot.

Surviving are two sons, Zachary and Jacob Maykuth; a daughter, Samantha Maykuth; a sister, Danna Maykuth, Center Township; a niece, Morgan Renay Swetoha, and a nephew, Jon Gregory Swetoha, both of Center Township; aunts and uncles, Paulette and Chuck Kostelic, and Joanne Peduzzi, all of Center Township, and Joan and Bob Maykuth, Hopewell Township; cousins, Carla and her husband Dave Forney, Craig Kostelic, Tara and her husband Dave Runco, Marissa and her husband Brian McDole, and Amanda Peduzzi, and several other cousins and relatives both near and far.

There will be no viewing. A private family service will be held at a later date.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Maykuth Children's Fund at 2676 Brodhead Road, Aliquippa, Pa. 15001.

The BOHN-MATICH FUNERAL HOME INC., 1099 Maplewood Ave., Ambridge, is in charge of arrangements

This is heart breaking news. Joe was such a great guy and this entire this is just so sad. Joe really loved his family and the death of his wife was too much to handle. My prayers are with his children and his family. Joe and I used to laugh so much on the phone when we talked and he was always so funny. Rest in Peace Joe. You will be missed.

I've just gone into shock.

This just can't be...

He was the very best crew scheduler I've ever had the pleasure to deal with. Handsome as all get-out. He had been a part and a member of the greatest c/s team in USAirways history; the most compassionate and friendly group ...Rob Fuhr, John Petronzi, Steve Holiday, Dave baffallini, Donna Formosa...I am so sorry.

My prayers are with his family and his very closest friends in U crew scheduling.

I've just gone into shock.

This just can't be...

He was the very best crew scheduler I've ever had the pleasure to deal with. Handsome as all get-out. He had been a part and a member of the greatest c/s team in USAirways history; the most compassionate and friendly group ...Rob Fuhr, John Petronzi, Steve Holiday, Dave baffallini, Donna Formosa...I am so sorry.

My prayers are with his family and his very closest friends in U crew scheduling.
I know PITBUL. I have been in shock since I found out about this yesterday. You are right that crew sched team was so good to the f/a's and Joe was the tops. He always treated the f/s's with respect and always went the extra mile for them.

IF it's true, it's very sad. Joe was a good guy who deserved all that life had to offer.

IF it's true, it's very sad. Joe was a good guy who deserved all that life had to offer.
I am trying to remember if I knew him. I was hired in '96.... would I know him? Was he a sup or a daily/ future scheduler? Anyway, this is awful, and I hope someone wonderful watches over those poor children; they will need a lot of support....

(I read things like this, it puts all of my "problems" in perspective......)

I am trying to remember if I knew him. I was hired in '96.... would I know him? Was he a sup or a daily/ future scheduler? Anyway, this is awful, and I hope someone wonderful watches over those poor children; they will need a lot of support....

(I read things like this, it puts all of my "problems" in perspective......)
Joe left in 2003 I believe so you should have known him. The f/a scheduling supervisors worked both daily and future.

What a horrible story. I feel simply awful. He was truly one of the best and funny. When I hear stories like this about "real people" it just blows my mind. It's almost unbelievable.

may he rest in peace with his beloved wife. May God Take Care of them and Their entire familoy and friends during this difficult time. My sympathies go out to them all

Joe was indeed a special kind of person. Those who worked with him closely are in shock. Joe was a solid, strong, Marine type of guy, who took his job seriously, but still had compassion for f/a's and the schedulers. He absolutely adored his wife and children.

Please, if you can, make a donation to the fund listed in the articled. These orphaned children will need all the help they can get.

Thank you,
Hula

Can anybody tell me what I can do to get the word out to all f/a's about Joe?

Thank you

I never knew Joe but my thoughts & prayers are with his family very sad. I know nothing more about this than what I just read but I can tell you suicide rate for police is very high. According to the website www.tearsofacop.com
"Every 24 hours an officer dies of suicide". I have no reason to doubt this.

...10+ years later, I am the daughter of Joseph Maykuth and it is truly heartwarming to see all of the positive and kind words about my father. I stumbled across this today and felt the need to reach out. All of the prayers and thoughts helped our family get through this. Thank you