Free the Hangers

Free the Hangers
By Justin Wolfers, New York Times
January 5, 2009

I typed this from 10,000 feet, while on my way to the annual econ gabfest known as the ASSA meetings. I was lucky enough to score an upgrade to first class, and as I settled into my seat I was informed about the most astonishing cost-cutting measure: U.S. Airways has taken the coat hangers out of its planes.

Arriving uncrumpled used to be one of the few perks for those at the front of the plane, but now the racks behind seat 4B sit unemployed. It can’t be that these hangers had much value on the secondary market, and the number of flight attendants hasn’t changed, so I can only guess that the cost reductions come from the fuel savings that come from carrying a few less ounces. (How big could these be?)

Linkage to the rest

The problem is that even if there ARE hangers present, there is no room to hang coats behind the last row of seats without them being SMASHED by the reclining of seats in row 3 or 4(depending on the aircraft). Hanging more than one coat on each side restricts the recline of the last row of first class....making rows 3 or 4 very upset!

....oh how I miss the closets we had on East aircraft......

Has anyone told Tempe that fuel has gotten really cheap and that the savings derived by "lightening the load" as much as humanly possible isn't saving all that much money and may actually be driving revenue away??? Just wondering.........

We need the cloests back! When I wrote a letter I was told it was the industry standard and all sorts of bullcrap when made me even angrier! Argh!!! I know several f/as who sent scathing letters to the company but of course they don't think we need closets. Stupid!

As far as the hangers, we still have hangers. Sometimes they are lost in Never NeverLand or hidden somewhere by f/as because a.) they don't want empty hangers flying all over the cabin and b.) you can't hang peoples coats up there since there isn't enough room and it's not fair to the pax sitting in row 3. It's a no win situation for all! :down:

What is really sad is that if there are hangers on the racks before you even get a chance to offer to hang coats many business men in f/c know the drill and they will hang their own coats. I was on one flight and I couldn't find any hangers and a gentleman wanted me to hang his coat but luckily he was nice about it but was wondering where all the hangers go because they always seem to be MIA.

Has anyone told Tempe that fuel has gotten really cheap and that the savings derived by "lightening the load" as much as humanly possible isn't saving all that much money and may actually be driving revenue away??? Just wondering.........

Whoa now, hold on my friend, this isn't how things work at the new US. If you take away a complimentary service, offer it again only if you can charge for it and call it a victory for the customer under the guise of a la carte service:

Plastic Flexi-Hangers(tm) are perfect for today's passenger on-the-go ($2.00) while our Wire-Tuff(tm) premium steel wire hangers ($3.50) provide our customers with an added option for hanging stability and security. Other airlines force passengers into accepting sub-par hangers; US Airways again leads the industry by committing to offer the flying public a choice of quality hangers at affordable prices.

It's all about the spin, baby.

Everytime you write a letter to the SANDCASTLE, you are told what "industry standard" is. In real-speak that is the absolute minimum US can do to match the other "worst" carrier in a specific category.

Let's face it...Tempe is STRIVING for mediocrity and is falling way short of that.....

(or so I've heard)

I agree with everything that has been said so far, but I have to say the writer either does not travel a lot or just wants to rip on US Airways.

The author was very one sided but since it's a blog he doesn't have to be objective, I guess.

United got rid of closets years ago, even before US. So did other airlines.

So, yes, we can feel embarrassed, but let's keep things in perspective.

Oooohhh, I love the closet debate. How quickly we all forget.

This is a simple "if/then" equation:

If there is rarely the need for a suit or a warm jacket in laid-back, casual-dressing, warm-weather Phoenix...
Then the rest of the nation can't possibly have the need to use such an item.
Therefore, the need to hang something up doesn't exist!

It's really simple. I can see the know-it-alls in Tempe mocking this fellow's status as an economist right now because he doesn't understand that simple theorem.

United got rid of closets years ago, even before US. So did other airlines.

So, yes, we can feel embarrassed, but let's keep things in perspective.

That's odd - UA still shows closets on a number of their fleet types. Likewise with the other legacies. Maybe instead of the "if any other airline doesn't have it, then it's industry standard" perspective, we could examine things from a factual "what does our competition offer" perspective.

Jim

That's odd - UA still shows closets on a number of their fleet types. Likewise with the other legacies. Maybe instead of the "if any other airline doesn't have it, then it's industry standard" perspective, we could examine things from a factual "what does our competition offer" perspective.

Jim
Excellent point Boeing Boy. I recently flew on UA domestic first class on a 757 and they hung my coat for me in a closet. I know they removed closets on some of the A319's and A320's on the former TED aircraft, but on those aircraft they also offer Economy Plus seating.....

Let's compare apples to apples........

Excellent point Boeing Boy. I recently flew on UA domestic first class on a 757 and they hung my coat for me in a closet. I know they removed closets on some of the A319's and A320's on the former TED aircraft, but on those aircraft they also offer Economy Plus seating.....

Let's compare apples to apples........
Flew AirTran Airways as an Nonrev and occassionaly get upgraded, they hung my jacket in the closet...and they are a Low Fare Low Cost Carrier ;)

Oooohhh, I love the closet debate. How quickly we all forget.

This is a simple "if/then" equation:

If there is rarely the need for a suit or a warm jacket in laid-back, casual-dressing, warm-weather Phoenix...
Then the rest of the nation can't possibly have the need to use such an item.
Therefore, the need to hang something up doesn't exist!

It's really simple. I can see the know-it-alls in Tempe mocking this fellow's status as an economist right now because he doesn't understand that simple theorem.

In the "Business Casual" mentality, what's a jacket... and why does it need hanging?

And if you take this logic a step further... why do FAs and pilots need jackets as part of their uniform?

I won't bother posting pictures here but if you go to airliners.net or jetphotos.net you can clearly see UA's cabin of their airbus a/c. While UA may offer the same method of coat hanging they certainly appear to offer MUCH more room to achieve the task. They have the bulkhead positioned a lot further away from the last first class seat than ANY of US's. The proof is in the pictures. :rolleyes:

FWIW, all AA a/c have closets in F/C. The S-80s where they removed the closet at the back of F/C still have the large closet in the FWD Entry, or if former TW 80s the small closet at the front of F/C between the front row of seats and the Lav remains. The 75s have a large closet in the FWD entry and a small closet at the back of F/C. All a/c also have a hangar rack(s) mounted on the bulkhead at the back of F/C. (Having hangars though, can be problematic at times. :lol:)

Or could it be that Tempe was actually thinking THIS LOGIC...

Get rid of the closets, because we will soon devalue first class to the point where nobody who wears a jacket will fly on our airline anyway...

Maybe they're smarter than you think :)

I recently flew BMI's Airbus 320 service and their 1L closet could easily accomodate 3 huge strollers. It's as big as 2 US domestic First Class seats if not bigger. I though that was really neat of them to do this. (They also have 4 FA's on the 320 but that's another discussion.) I think closets are pretty important.

Each coach seat also has mini hanger from the tray table switch. Sure it's no closet, but it beats having to fold it up and toss it in an overhead locker. I'm not saying US has to have these, but it's need to compare and contrast with our partners from time to time. Then again, vastly inferior 3 by 3 seating in BD Business vs greatly superior US F seating is a topic for a different thread.

Ironic. On the A330's too much space? (Well I guess there can never be too much but you get the point.), while nothing on the narrowbodies. Should balance it out a bit, no? LOL

-Kinglobjaw