LavMan

Veteran
Feb 12, 2003
Via Facsimile & U. S. Mail
Mr. David N. Siegel
President & C.E.O
US Airways, Inc.

Dear Mr. Siegel:

There have been recent reports that Senior Executives of US Airways have been traveling the country, advising our members of US Airways’ position concerning the maintenance of the Airbus aircraft.

This letter is to confirm the IAM’s official position on subcontracting heavy maintenance of the Airbus aircraft. Any attempt to subcontract this work, which falls under the jurisdiction of the IAM-US Airways Agreement, shall be considered a major dispute under the Railway Labor Act. The IAM will take whatever measures are necessary to protect any and all work that should be performed by IAM-represented mechanics at US Airways. As a major dispute, this will include, but is not limited to, seeking a Temporary Restraining Order, injunctive relief, withdrawing our services as provided by law, and/or whatever other legal action may be necessary.

I strongly recommend that, in order to avoid demoralization of our members and your employees, your management personnel cease and desist from any further discussions related to the farm-out of work that clearly falls under the jurisdiction of the IAM.

I must reiterate to you that any attempt to usurp the boundaries of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, as envisioned by the negotiators, will be met with an opposite and equal legal reaction.

Sincerely,

Robert Roach, Jr.
GENERAL VICE PRESIDENT

From the career opportunity bulletin:

US AIRWAYS CAREER OPPORTUNITY BULLETIN
07/30/03

Posting Number: 203218

Classification: TECHNICAL REP PIT

Department: AIRCRAFT LEASING & SALES

Salary: GRADE 79 $3,000 MONTHLY MINIMUM

Minimum Qualifications:
High School diploma or equivalent. Previous experience
working with US Airways related aircraft records,
engineering documentation, leased and / or sold
aircraft delivery or returns, and direct working
experience with both US Airways and third party
maintenance facilities. Knowledgeable in Maxi-Merlin,
Microsoft Office, and Lotus Notes. Willing to travel
internationally (passport required) with little
notification and for extended periods of time.

Preferred Qualifications:
Minimum three years experience with all of the above
to include direct communications with FAA and foreign
aviation authorities as required to obtain proper
documentation permitting ferry flights and export
certificates of airworthiness. Actual experience
working as a company representative at a remote
maintenance facility. Thorough understanding of US
Airways maintenance programs and the how they relate
to FAA airworthiness directives and other government
and OEM mandated activity. Possess the ability to
assemble a complete aircraft records return package.
Must have excellent attendance record and the ability
to work with little supervision.

Duties:
Perform aircraft sales and lease technical and record
related audits on US Airways owned aircraft, as well
as, facilitate lessor requested aircraft record and
aircraft visual inspections. Perform remote technical
representation as required to facilitate all material,
documentation (work release packages, Eos, etc.), and
general support of the aircraft in work. Maintain
departmental records and logs as required.

8/4/2003
Dear Sisters and Brothers:

Their were pictures of Airbus aircraft taken in Florida and Arizona being sent around the property by someone alleging that C checks were being accomplished on them. The facts are that during bankruptcy the company tried to negotiate lower lease rates for all their aircraft. There were a few lesser that would not lower their rates so the company returned those aircraft.
The Airbus tail numbers that were returned were A320 A/C 101, A319 A/C 706. 707, 726, 728, and 729. We have the strongest scope language in the industry and we have already won grievances when the company sent aircraft to the desert , removed them from their operating certificate and had work done on them then brought them back into service.
Even though we have the strongest scope language in the industry and have been doing heavy maintenance on every aircraft we ever operated for Fifty years. We are now working for the biggest group of thieves I have seen in 35 years, and if they try to steal our work we may not be able to put them in jail, but I can assure you we will put them beside us in the unemployment line.

Sincerely and fraternally:
William Freiberger
General Chairman
District141-M IAMAW

Well, it's about time Freiberger

I am beside you all the way with this issue. Rest assured.

I think the only hope for this airline is for Dave to start ridding himself of some of the VPs and managers who give him information, that is actually blatantly killing our airline.

A company cannot continue down this road of violating all contracts and thus, violating its employees.

If you leaflet the public or picket; we will be out there with you.

Let us know.

Any job action would have to be legal.

I think picketing and leafleting, if done by all groups on the same daY, would be effective.

However, if it is considered a "major dispute", by the courts, then a strike job action is legal.

----------------
On 8/4/2003 3:36:04 PM LavMan wrote:

. As a major dispute, this will include, but is not limited to, ... withdrawing our services as provided by law, ...

I'm sure the company would be salivating for that to happen at this point in time. Would kind of defeat the whole purpose of disputing things wouldnt it?

If the mechanic and related strike due to the company violating our contract, I believe you would see the other groups strike as well and bye bye Dave.

Funny how everyone was ready to throw IAM out on their ear, now they are standing behind them? What a joke. Everyone must have been confused before, but now they understand that the IAM really is "good" for them - or something like that.

I find it a bit odd that before everytime we returned and aircraft to the lessor the Usairways marking were removed from the exterior of the A/C. I saw the pics of the A/C's at the Timco facility in AZ and the Usairways logo was clearly visible. Doors open, cowls open and I would say work was being performed. I have a feeling these A/C will be returning to the fleet in the near future fresh out of check. Really don't see the IAM doing anything but talk as usual! I do think Dave & Co are licking their lips at the thought of the IAM walking out. Temp replacement workers are on order,Co
11.gif
problem solved!!

Oh yea, there are tons of airlines wanting to hire bad executives.

The problem with this GYR Airbus conspiracy theory is that aircraft 700 and 701 are the first two due for checks. The other one that is close is 101, the only one of the original birds up for check.

The only ones on the unemployment lines will be us. Dave and all his boys will get jobs within days. So no point will be proven and the IAM will have even less dues coming in with all of us on the street.
Lets see who balks on this one.

Your response shows how the perception of an average blue collar worker differs from the corporate world.
What you see as a bad executive, the corporate world sees as an executive who took a sinking airline, put it through and expeditious bankruptcy (including getting new RSA from all groups) and pulling out of BK only to start posting profits even if it is with the help of Gov't monies.

So you just stick to cleaning a/c and stocking shelves and don't worry about Dave and his boys. No one like you will be interviewing them for jobs anytime soon and the corporations that will hire him will neither look on this board or call you for a reference.

628, do not tell me what to do and I was just responding to pitmtc, if you would have read his post you would have understood why I posted what I did.

Lav,

Quit it with the "when we're all out of work comments". The quicker you worry about what you can control, and forget about making comments like "I wonder which mainline station will be history next to free up that airplane", or "We'll burn this place to the ground before that happens", the happier you will be.

Latest posts