From The Ny Times To The Bod

cavalier

Veteran
Aug 28, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Gary Chaison, professor of industrial relations at Clark University in Worcester, Mass., said he was surprised that Mr. Lakefield moved so swiftly after Mr. Siegel's departure to re-emphasize the need to cut costs.

By doing so, he might have eliminated any chance for a honeymoon with union members.

Professor Chaison said some might have thought the airline's plan would be off the table with Mr. Siegel's departure.

That is not the case now, he said. "Participation means, 'you have to give up something,' " Professor Chaison said. "The question is, what if they don't decide to participate?"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like Dave Siegel did: I am sure the BOD members read this forum and I am here to give the BOD members an idea of what the employees are thinking.

They are thinking you do nothing to address issues that could save the company plenty, won’t even entertain ideas presented to you by labor that are solid money savers. You are only interested in keeping the status quo, the good old boy clubs and further gutting labor of money, benefits and numbers.

It’s like you don’t hear what we are saying through our leaders, ENOUGH ENOUGH. We are finished giving, plus we gave you ideas that would work but they fall on death ears.

Keep your arrogance up with the same old drum beat of give give give or else and all it will accomplish is destroy this company. You can’t go around beating people over the head again and again breaking contracts, and using punitive policies on employees, on and on and not expect backlash.

The only people left in labor that are willing to give more blood are the ones who are scared to death, BUT, the majority are as mad as hornets unwilling to give another cent.

The healing process Dave talked about on his way out will never occur with Dave Bronner’s heavy handed tactics and his attitude of you will or else, it simply won’t happen because the majority are ready for the, or else.

If you think I am wrong, then do a road show and find out what the employee's feelings are, ask them yourselves live and in person, and bring a knight’s shield made of kryptonite.

Cav When will your prayers be anserwd and a light come on for you to understand this isnt about "FEELING"!!! This is about reality... It doesnt matter if you or I want to take more cuts. You and the Union leaders dont get it.... Your not gonna be asked if it comes down to it. Your gonna take cuts to make this company survive. So am I..... As far as you "scared to death" theory, your dead wrong. I and others arent scared.. We are rational. How many ceos how many anaylists does it take for you to go thru before one realizes "maybe we are wrong!" You can continue to bark all you want my friend, it doesnt matter. Myself and thousands others, like before, will do what we have to do. Im sure you said these same things in the last go arounds too, but reality keeps hitting you in the face. !

Fatherknowsbest said:
I don't believe they have the "guts" to do a road show.
They would have to bring Al Crellin along.

What a joke!
Bring Bad Boy AL along?? oh joy that is all we need to hear more whining and crying from him and the others! You know what may be if they LISTENED to the Employees, this airline would not be so much in trouble!

usfliboi said:
Cav When will your prayers be anserwd and a light come on for you to understand this isnt about "FEELING"!!! This is about reality... It doesnt matter if you or I want to take more cuts. You and the Union leaders dont get it.... Your not gonna be asked if it comes down to it. Your gonna take cuts to make this company survive. So am I..... As far as you "scared to death" theory, your dead wrong. I and others arent scared.. We are rational. How many ceos how many anaylists does it take for you to go thru before one realizes "maybe we are wrong!" You can continue to bark all you want my friend, it doesnt matter. Myself and thousands others, like before, will do what we have to do. Im sure you said these same things in the last go arounds too, but reality keeps hitting you in the face. !
Now you are Miss Cleo?

You cannot speak for any union you cant say for any certainty that concessions will be taken.

Maybe one day you will learn to speak for yourself and not other labor groups.

And most important you dont get it.

Why would you negotiate any new concessions when the very same management cannot honor the language all ready agreed upon?

If you want to sign your paycheck over to US go ahead and do so, but dont tell any of us what to do.

fliboi, you will join us on the unemployment line if this thing dont work. Like someone else stated, you just don't get it. Why do you stand up & bend over for these people. They do not care about you me or any other employee. It's all about them & the big bucks they can make.

Let me play devil's advocate for a moment. Now that the leadership has changed, and there's a new sheriff in town, what if.........

What if the company decided to talk about the cost savings proposed by the unions which they claim are being ignored?

What if the company decided to implement operational cost savings (ie. increased utilization, rolling hub), which would require a change in certain work rules to increase productivity?

What if they actually came up with a rational fare schedule in order to attract more business travelers?

What if all these things were on the table and they decided they needed to talk to the unions about productivity improvements now?

I am curious about what you all would think? Would you talk or would you keep the stand closed and burn the place down?

I mean no disrespect, but as a concerned customer I am curious to see what you fine people think...do we have a chance of saving this place?

If everyone is going to maintain a hard line, even with the new CEO, then I fear the worst is about to happen.....

I support the fine employees of US Airways without question and wish you all the very best..........

PS I am doing my part--my rear is on board 2 or more of your flights every single week :) I wish I could do more....

Art, they need to adhere to the current contracts and stop violating them, settle the hundreds of outstanding grievances then the unions would listen to them.

Do you see no chance of that happening?

There are obviously parts to this story I don't understand--for example, if there is a legally binding contract, what was their reasoning for farming out the Airbus maintenance?

I am definitely pulling for you all, but it appears there has to be a good faith gesture made on BOTH sides...

Thanks for your response and best of luck.

Because they are arrogant and think they can do anything and get away with anything, they don't want to have employees and if the Airbus work was done in-house theywould have to recall employees.

And Art thanks for the support, looks pretty much like a slam dunk, good thing the IAM keeps all the records of everything between the company and the union.

Art:

The problem is that there is not a new sheriff in town. Lakefield was part of the BOD which approved all of Seigel's major moves.

The new CEO, Lakefield, is akin Dick Cheney becoming president after George W. Bush being removed from office due to a sudden heart attack (I am not wishing this on W). I would hardly characterize this as a "new sheriff" who is looking to do things differently.

Pretty much the same thing with Seigel/Lakefield. Seigel is suddenly gone, and one of his bosses replaces him. After only one day on the job, he preaches the same old mantra. There is very little to suggest that Lakefield is a "new sheriff."

I work with them EVERYDAY of my life Bob. We as labor LIVE, WORK and BREATH this stuff. Unlike you and your group who pay us a visit once in a while and that somehow makes you feel you can tell us how to think, feel, react and even live.

I DO speak for the majority because it seems my posts find their way into the hangers where everyone applauds them. I see these people EVERYDAY, and talk to them. I am NOT far removed and believe I am an oracle like you seem to believe you are with all your self derived wisdom pulled out of thin air. Your 40 followers are not what will make or break this company, WE will, LABOR. Hard to accept huh Bob, especially since you just loathe unions. TOUGH Bob, you just don’t count.

mweiss said:
That's telling him, cav! Who needs customers?
Actually mwiess,

Maintenance does not need a passenger to make an airline profitable. Delta Airlines made millions in profits last year by offering third party maintenance to other airlines.

700UW said:
Art, they need to adhere to the current contracts and stop violating them, settle the hundreds of outstanding grievances then the unions would listen to them.
Yours and my contract dont matter anymore. The company is near bk once again, do you feel your contract should matter anymore? I for one think our contratcs or our unions at this junction have any relevance. Time will tell, but if all you can think about is your worthless piece of papered contract, maybe you should be a lawyer. Face reality, its not about you or I Its about the needs of the many not the one or the few. If this airline falls almost 30,000 jobs will be lost in addition to the over 10,000 already lost at this company. What about that can you possibly argue with?

Latest posts