Frontier will start charging for snacks

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
http://blogs.denverpost.com/travel/2008/04...rging-for-food/

There will soon be no free lunch - not even free chips - on Frontier Airlines. On May 1, Frontier will start charging $3 each for snack items and will discontinue virtually all of its free food offerings......

This does seem to be the way things are going. But the F9 snacks described in the story seem to be a bit less elaborate than the "snack boxes" sold on the legacies...although the latter cost USD 5.00.

It's been a while since I flown F9 but I remember the pretzels they used to serve, the real baked kind - not the salt covered salt sitcks in bag that some call "pretzels".

But the F9 snacks described in the story seem to be a bit less elaborate than the "snack boxes" sold on the legacies...although the latter cost USD 5.00.
On my two recent AA flights, the flight attendants were offering for sale potato chips, cookies and trail mix for $3 an item. There were no complimentary snacks, such as peanuts or pretzels, served with the drinks. I wonder how long before they start charging for soda.

IIRC AA had tested the idea of charging for all drinks. Anybody have the dates and facts? I want to say it was started as a 'test' on AE in a few select markets.