Furlough around the corner

damajagua

Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
Get ready for furlough.
Today AA announce a 3% reduction in capacity for the
fourth quarter. They are also retiring 11 757 next year.
I feel sorry for our employees at the bottom of the
seniority list. Here we go again.

Get ready for furlough.
Today AA announce a 3% reduction in capacity for the
fourth quarter. They are also retiring 11 757 next year.
I feel sorry for our employees at the bottom of the
seniority list. Here we go again.
Maybe this time attrition will eat up any overages. Also remember the 777-300 start to arrive in 2012.

Maybe this time attrition will eat up any overages. Also remember the 777-300 start to arrive in 2012.

How can attrition eat up overages? The company has been offering monthly leaves, they recently posted
a six months leave proffer. With the additional 3 percent capacity reduction it will create a bigger overage
which it might leads to forloughs at least in the flight attendants work group.

Maybe those that are laid off could become pilots........ :unsure:
Now that was funny! I may apply.... How many years training and what is the mandatory retirement age for pilots? It's been 9 years since I've flown.....Do they still ask for menus and separate courses? "Just bring me the Proscutto wrapped melon and Queensland Prawns, Salad Niscoise followed by the Chateaubriand extra rare with Club 21 sauce...on the side...when you get a chance...and don't forget to chill my salad fork...this time."..LOL

How can attrition eat up overages? The company has been offering monthly leaves, they recently posted
a six months leave proffer. With the additional 3 percent capacity reduction it will create a bigger overage
which it might leads to forloughs at least in the flight attendants work group.

Don't forget, before there are any furloughs the company has to off OLOAs (Overage Leaves of Absence) also. Since the current PLOA will result in the loss of two days of bidding seniority, the OLOA which won't cost any seniority may be more attractive to people. And, as a matter of fact, attrition this year is averaging over 50 f/as/month. Total attrition through 10/02 (latest posting) is 490--240 are retirements.

There is no question that there will be a f/a overage with the recent 3% capacity reduction for the
4th quarter:

I don't understand it. You guys whine about taking pay cuts and having benefits slashed and have tirelessly said they'd sooner see a headcount reduction than concessions. Fine but now when AA cuts back its not okay. Obviously no one wants to see people lose their job but there are changes that need to be made for AA to run more efficiently and profitably.

Josh

I don't understand it. You guys whine about taking pay cuts and having benefits slashed and have tirelessly said they'd sooner see a headcount reduction than concessions. Fine but now when AA cuts back its not okay. Obviously no one wants to see people lose their job but there are changes that need to be made for AA to run more efficiently and profitably.

Josh

AA has not been able to hire because the most expensive f/as are the furlough fodder. Had they been able to hire over the past 9-10 years, their employee cost would have been in line with other carriers and most likely many of the older, more "expensive" f/as would have been able to retire (instaed of fly until they are 80). Just a thought...

AA has not been able to hire because the most expensive f/as are the furlough fodder. Had they been able to hire over the past 9-10 years, their employee cost would have been in line with other carriers and most likely many of the older, more "expensive" f/as would have been able to retire (instaed of fly until they are 80). Just a thought...
I hope with all the new airplanes coming, AA will hire off the street and move on with the furlough issue. Plus give the bottom F/A a sense of seniority in their last few years. Lets keep our fingers crossed that AA does not file BK...... I would guess huge layoffs would be part of the restructuring. Cant imagine how long that furlough would be...... scary times indeed.

AA has not been able to hire because the most expensive f/as are the furlough fodder.
That has nothing to do with it. AA hasn't hired FAs because they've had to exhaust the recall list first. When they need people they will recall, when they run out of recalls they will hire people. The fact of the matter is reserves are sitting around doing nothing. There were no reserves assigned last night in LGA for flights today, the 11th. All open trips went to AVBL and MU. One lone reserve was called out at about 0530 this morning. Two of my friends in DFW sat in a hotel for six days earlier this month and didn't fly a minute, not even a STBY assignment.

The company can mitigate this by turning on some green lights so people can drop trips, and granting some PVDs. They may as well fly the reserves since they're paying them 75 hrs whether they fly or not.

There's some pent up demand out there for OVLs and I'm cautiously confident furloughs can be avoided, but we'll just have to wait and see.

MK

Of course no one wants to see anyone furloughed, but if AA decided to furlough FA's, they would have to be willing to give up their 30 Mandarin speakers first.

Of course no one wants to see anyone furloughed, but if AA decided to furlough FA's, they would have to be willing to give up their 30 Mandarin speakers first.
True but watch AA pull LAX-PVG. We've seen them pull a fast one like this before. Plus with a shortage of 777 pilots....... who knows...