Future of the AMT shortage

Chuck Schalk

Veteran
Nov 17, 2006
Lack of trained workers forces Oscoda company to fill jobs overseas

Posted by Helen Lounsbury | The Bay City Times February 29, 2008 08:06AM
Now northern employers, educators are joining to prepare residents for available work

OSCODA - It's bad enough when state unemployment rates report Northeast Lower Michigan as the most jobless region in a state already plagued by high unemployment.
But when local employers say that they've exhausted the skilled, local labor pool and must hire outside the area, even outside the country, it's time for stakeholders to get talking.

More than talk, Iosco County area educators, labor force developers and employers are forging a partnership they say will replenish the region's skilled worker reserve.

That supply is most urgent for Kalitta Air, not only the largest but the fastest-growing employer in a six-county region with 735 full-time workers. Kalitta, an aircraft maintenance company in Oscoda, is mid-way through hiring some 250 people to staff a new $8.75 million hangar.

The build-up, meanwhile, forced the company to recruit high-level aviation technicians from Peru. And it will need to do it again soon, this time from the Philippines. The reason, managers say, is that the company has depleted local skilled labor.
"The partnership is new but it's absolutely benefiting us," said Teri Ruby of STS Services Inc., which recruits skilled workers for Kalitta and other aviation employers nationwide. "Every time I put a jobs ad in the local paper, I get 700-1,400 resumes, just from the region. Almost none have aviation experience.

"The partnership is willing to work for us and narrow that flood down to the most qualified people," Ruby continued. "From there, we hire and build them into aviation mechanics."

The partnership's Michigan Works! and Iosco Regional Educational Service Agency screen Kalitta applications, then test the best candidates for general and technical aptitudes. The most qualified, they send back to Kalitta for interviewing and, if appropriate, for hiring.

Kalitta, in turn, trains the new hires on-the-job or, in time, can send candidates back for partnership-paid training via IRESA or Mid-Michigan Community College's M-Tec Center, also a partner.

M-Tec is assembling online training courses in electronics, hydraulics, pneumatics and composites for partnership referrals. IRESA plans eventually to add aviation mechanics to its Tawas City curriculum, directors say.

In its first month, the partnership has screened 120 people.

"This whole thing is starting as a training intervention for adults, to help employers who need qualified people now," said IRESA Superintendent Thomas Caldwell. "But the vision is to create a sustained training program for employers - a continuum that extends down to our K-12 students."

Other companies signing on to the partnership are TIMCO Aviation Services, a jet engine repair shop with 51 full-time employees, and Phoenix Composite Solutions, with 150 workers.

All three companies are located in Oscoda's former Wurtsmith Air Force Base. Partnership coordinators say they expect several more area employers to join the workforce development partnership as it grows.

Northeast Michigan's jobless rate average for 2007 was 10.8 percent.

"The type of person they're looking for - homegrown, with mechanical inclination and generally good with their hands - we have those people up here," said Lisa Bolen, Michigan Works! workforce development director for the region. "Employers want to build on those skills and get specialized training.

"We think this approach has the potential to really produce that, and to go beyond avionics, to serve other manufacturers who need training for their people."

Helen Lounsbury can be reached at (989) 450-9994 or at [email protected].

This arfticle deflates the theory of gaining an edge for negotiations due to an AMT shortage. Supply and demand theory goes out the window.

This arfticle deflates the theory of gaining an edge for negotiations due to an AMT shortage. Supply and demand theory goes out the window.

Chuck, I hate to admit it, but the future of the AMT is not very bright. The airlines will petition the government, namely the FAA, to change the rules allowing non-licensed people to work the line stations under the auspices of the certified repair station. They will dangle a monetary carrot in front of current mechanics by offering a nice pay increase to accelerate the transition..

We are becoming dinosaurs..

Chuck, I hate to admit it, but the future of the AMT is not very bright. The airlines will petition the government, namely the FAA, to change the rules allowing non-licensed people to work the line stations under the auspices of the certified repair station. They will dangle a monetary carrot in front of current mechanics by offering a nice pay increase to accelerate the transition..

We are becoming dinosaurs..
Yep, the youngins nowadays don't wanna spend 18 mnths (two days a week) in tech and a grand on books for an A&P.
At one point I would have encouraged my boys get their A&P.
The way the industry is run by greedy CEO's and Unions bending over..you really think I want my kids workin in a dead end job too? :angry:

Yep, the youngins nowadays don't wanna spend 18 mnths (two days a week) in tech and a grand on books for an A&P.
At one point I would have encouraged my boys get their A&P.
The way the industry is run by greedy CEO's and Unions bending over..you really think I want my kids workin in a dead end job too? :angry:

No one in their right mind would let their kids go into aviation at this point! The aviation industry is going no where fast and probablly won't ever again. They will find ways to get around the labor issue and be backed by the government.

Not directly related to American Airlines. This thread is moved to General Aviation forum.

Does anyone know their pay and benefits package.
I'm betting it isn't enough to attract akilled people.
I am also betting that is why they claim a shortage, it is not for lack of skilled people but lack of skilled people willing to uproot their families to work for peanuts. :down:

JMHO,
B) xUT

Does anyone know their pay and benefits package.
I'm betting it isn't enough to attract akilled people.
I am also betting that is why they claim a shortage, it is not for lack of skilled people but lack of skilled people willing to uproot their families to work for peanuts. :down:

JMHO,
B) xUT

That's what I'm guessing as well. Also, Kallita has had a rough time lately. Four years ago they had that 747 that chucked an engine into Lake Michigan. And within a two month time frame they lost two 747's this year. Myself I would be a bit hesitant to go work there.

On the flip side look at SWA and UPS, they have no problem attracting qualified people. Which shows if you offer a decent wage and benefits you won't have to worry about being short of people.

That's what I'm guessing as well. Also, Kallita has had a rough time lately. Four years ago they had that 747 that chucked an engine into Lake Michigan. And within a two month time frame they lost two 747's this year. Myself I would be a bit hesitant to go work there.

Lets not forget that he lost his son a few weeks back at Englishtown Raceway in NJ.

On the flip side look at SWA and UPS, they have no problem attracting qualified people. Which shows if you offer a decent wage and benefits you won't have to worry about being short of people.

Exactly. The last figure I saw was 330,000 liscenced A&Ps out there. My guess is that less than half are working as A&Ps. There is no shortage-yet, just a reluctance on the part of employers to pay and skilled workers willing to work for what they are offering.

I dont recall ever seeing ZERO unemployment in this country, and in this country we only count those who are collecting unemployment benifits as being unemployed. If you dont have a job and ran out of your 26 weeks of UI you arent counted as being unemployed anymore. There has is no need to import workers. Anytime you read an article or hear someone say they cant get workers ask them how much they are offering. Chances are they are offering what they claim is a "competative wage" and everyone else sees as peanuts.

I wonder how many experinced AMT's will bite?

< http://www.aviation.siu.edu/jobs/maintenance/ >

Excerpt:
The position requires an A&P license. Job involves all aspects of the maintenance process, aircraft upgrades, interior modifications, regulatory compliance, phase inspections, post flights and facilities upkeep.
The starting pay is $14 per hour with raises at 90 days and then annually. The provide 401k, medical, dental, vacation and holiday benefits. In addition, they offer a relocation package and flight benefits.
Must be able to work in the USA and relocate to Hawaii. This is a drug-free workplace and does perform pre-employment and random drug screening. Applicants must be able to pass a 10 year criminal background check.

The Aeropro Group is an aviation employment service company. Our clients hire us to find the best qualified candidate. The service is free to candidates submitting their resumes. We will never charge a candidate to submit a resume.

That is 'NUTS'! :down:

B) xUR

in this country we only count those who are collecting unemployment benifits as being unemployed. If you dont have a job and ran out of your 26 weeks of UI you arent counted as being unemployed anymore.

I have read in several articles that the actual unemployment rate is typically double what is reported in the media if you count those who ran out of UI bennies.

Excerpt:

That is 'NUTS'! :down:

B) xUR

Even with relocation assistance $14 an hour in Hawaii is basically minimum wage anywhere else in the country. Especially now with food prices as they are there. I'm curious as to what the "raise" after ninety days is, $14.10 an hour?

Actually, I don't think $14/hr in Hawaii would be anywhere near equal to minimum wage stateside. 5 years ago, a friend moved to Hawaii. She and her husband sent me an email about how lucky they were to find a place to rent for "only" $1500/mo. They included a picture of the house in the email. Beautiful view from the front porch. The place was high on a hill on the other side of the island from Honolulu and faced the ocean.

However, the house itself...? Well, I grew up in Alabama, and even there this place would have been called a shack.

Actually, I don't think $14/hr in Hawaii would be anywhere near equal to minimum wage stateside. 5 years ago, a friend moved to Hawaii. She and her husband sent me an email about how lucky they were to find a place to rent for "only" $1500/mo. They included a picture of the house in the email. Beautiful view from the front porch. The place was high on a hill on the other side of the island from Honolulu and faced the ocean.

However, the house itself...? Well, I grew up in Alabama, and even there this place would have been called a shack.

I'm apt to agree with you. I saw a report recently on CNN about the cost of food in Hawaii.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/19/news/econo...sion=2008061913

They must be hoping some young kid out of A&P school who does not know any better will jump at the chance to live in paradise.