Fyi - Dave Recorded His Weekly Msg Today

BoeingBoy said:
A frustrated US Airways chief executive David Siegel lashed out at US Airways' unions yesterday, telling employees that a discussion of his anticipated recovery plan is "on hold" because of continued resistance from labor leaders.
They havent done anything else by the book why start now? IF they have actually come up with a new plan, why not just present it for all to see? Why all the games and blame by management? Just put it out there with what changes they want and let the membership take it from there if there is something worthwhile and doable. If they dont have a plan, which I personally dont think they do, this just gives them the incentive to keep whining about how no one will listen to them. I say call their bluff and at least ask to be presented their plan. No one says you have to do what they suggest, but at least CCY cant say they didnt at least have a chance.
As a matter of fact, I think I'm going to write to my union and DEMAND that they publicly ask for a presentation of the plan by CCY so we can put this to rest once and for all. I think everyone else should do the same.

Here's my take on the weekly message & PPG article:

1 - The "plan" should have been developed as a part of the bankruptcy process. Because it wasn't, we are approaching a year of little or no progress on the structural changes needed to have any possibility of saving this sinking ship.

2 - Dave seems to want to play "pay per view" - give concessions to see the plan. If the plan is going to work, the employees need to be behind it since it won't work without their efforts. To get behind it, we need to see if it is workable.

3 - Finally some analysts are starting to realize the hole we are in. I was continually amused by the various remarks about another trip through bankruptcy and various corporate transactions when the airline's liquidation was such a real possibility. Obviously, many of the vaunted analysts hadn't even bothered to look at the ATSB loan documents or other warning signs.

4 - It is time for we employees to do some soulsearching. Each of us needs to decide what, if anything, we are willing to sacrifice in an attempt to save this airline (assuming that it can be saved at this point).

Jim

ByTheBay said:
DCFlyer, thanks for the reply. I appreciate the timme you put into it. I don't know if you have this information or a comparison but how do the nubers (employee per revenue seat) comare to ASM. I know LUV manages to fly its aircraft 13 hours aday and B6 even more. I'm guessing that skews the employee per ASM in LUV's favor because they are moving the seats more hours/flts per day. What is the magic in their contracts that allow for that kind of productivity and don't at US Airways. What's the secret?

At LUV don't F/A's clean planes in between flightd and Pilots figure their own W/B with calculators I believe they contract out things like major maintence and cleaning of planes over night. I think they utilize part time employees more and employees can perform multiple jobs like ramp/gate/push planes back. Would these changes be acceptable to US Airways employees. I know a lot of posters seem to hold this management up to LUV's and their standard of profitability. Is it possible to just adopt their pay and work rules? Would US Airways employyes even go for that?
will you give up the company mantra already?i see you are trying to get your message out to the masses as the unions are tired of your diatribe.we see through the veil....mr newbie i only post when theres a controversial topic......funny up to our yangs in "newbies" once again...my my...[/color ]

ByTheBay said:
I am just wondering what harm could be done by the Union leaderships hearing the plan and discussining it with their rank and file. I am sure the rank and file have the final say in changes per vote, right? Before I get flamed I am just a passenger who has always enjoyed the quality and serivice and typically flies where U has frequent service. I am just trying to make heads or tails of what is going on. Whatever happens, I hope U makes it. First for all the employees and their families and also because it is my preferred flying choice.
yeah,right.........

Given ALPAs recent call for Daves removal, you would think that this "shot across the bow" remark by Dave of ALPA/AFA/IAM not wanting to get the plan out would call for the union leaders to DEMAND that Dave present the plan publicly if he has one. He basically is saying its labors fault AGAIN that we cant implement our plan because they wont listen. CALL HIS BLUFF.

SHOW ME THE PLAN

and we'll take it from there... :ph34r:

PineyBob and Tadjr,

Spot on!

If the plan is so wonderful, dave, go over the leaderships heads and show it to us troops. We're gonna have to vote on it anyway, right?

Conversely, union BOD members, get off your asses and demand to see the plan, and get the information out!

I AM NOT TAKING RESPONSIBILTY FOR A PLAN I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!!!! :angry:

And dave, we figure the deck is stacked. LAY DOWN THE CARDS!!!

His message is a focused example of his leadership. Imagine an NFL, MLB, or NCAA football coach blaming his team for his failure. The buck stops at the top. He has failed miserably to rebuild this company. And he needs to be out of here so we can get on board with new and credible management who understand just who makes an airline profitable. Imagine Kelleher blaming his employees for LUV's problems. Or Bethune. Or Neeleman. This guy is clueless folks. The problem resides in Crystal City. Not PHL or PIT.

mr

I think DAVE is scared to show up out on the line. He would at the least good booed and most likely cursed out. I bet the line would form around the building to take turns.

PHL is an armpit of a station. In all my years of flying both as a crew member and now a passenger I always found the attitude of most employees at the station pretty lame. I remember a whole month of trying to get the a/c cleaned between flights to no avail........utility was down in the breakroom lifting weights or playing cards ( I was brave enough to go down there one day). They usually showed up few minutes prior to departure with a plastic bag, walked through the cabin and away they went.
Catering? Wow.....the bags of ice usually contained 3 or 4 giant chunks per bag; meals were always cold, dripping messes.
The only bright spot when flying to PHL was the old cafeteria.
This spring my checked bags disappeared on a flight to CDG; I finally got them two weeks after I returned from France. Neeedless to say I got no help/info from any agent or supervisor, and actually had to call France myself on my own dime to get a "tracking number" since the "computer we use in the states was not compatible with the baggage office computer in CDG".
Nobody in baggage services made any effort at all to help me whatsoever. I called Consumer Affairs only to find out "we don't handle baggage related complaints".
Scary to think that U will have some meaningful competition in PHL for sure. My advice to Southwest.....hire prospective employees from the midwest or Texas or something and transfer them to PHL offering a generous relocation package.

Pitbull - Can you site some examples of ideas that mangement has that would be unbearable for anyone to even vote on?

Or is it just the fact that they are asking for changes at all? It sounds like the CRJ 705 issues the pilots had. Maybe they were justified in being mad, but in the end the flying went somewhere else.

ByTheBay said:
DCFlyer, thanks for the reply. I appreciate the timme you put into it. I don't know if you have this information or a comparison but how do the nubers (employee per revenue seat) comare to ASM. I know LUV manages to fly its aircraft 13 hours aday and B6 even more. I'm guessing that skews the employee per ASM in LUV's favor because they are moving the seats more hours/flts per day. What is the magic in their contracts that allow for that kind of productivity and don't at US Airways. What's the secret?

At LUV don't F/A's clean planes in between flightd and Pilots figure their own W/B with calculators I believe they contract out things like major maintence and cleaning of planes over night. I think they utilize part time employees more and employees can perform multiple jobs like ramp/gate/push planes back. Would these changes be acceptable to US Airways employees. I know a lot of posters seem to hold this management up to LUV's and their standard of profitability. Is it possible to just adopt their pay and work rules? Would US Airways employyes even go for that?
By the bay,

Unless I'm mistaken, ASM is controlled entirely by management. The A in ASM is available, and management can increase availability thereby spreading out the fixed costs within the system and bringing in more income. Just as there is nothing stopping management from rolling PHL, there is nothing stopping them from increasing air time. The only thing stopping them from reducing staging lenghts is that we have a hub and spoke system (and an inefficient one at that). When you have 90 flights coming into a facility one hour, relatively few coming in and going out the second hour, and 90 going back out the third hour, there are built-in inefficiencies. Instead of having, for example, 25 gates, you have to lease 90. Your customers have to walk from the end of one concourse to the end of another to catch their connecting flights. You have fuel burn in the air and fuel burn on the tarmac because the employees that were doing nothing an hour ago are now having to work so many flights and runways are overtaxed. Of course there are union workrule issues, and many silly ones, I will give you that. But there is no doubt in my mind that we need to be getting an average of 13-14 revenue hours a day out of each and every one of our aircraft, and it is management's responsibility to figure out how to do that. Having the relavely short average flight we currently have is wrought with problems. Again, it is management's responsibility to fix these things and they have either ( a ) failed to address them or ( b ) failed to convey to employees how they intend to fix them.

I am reminded of a time when I was a teenager when my parents purchased a piece of commercial property out of foreclosure. It was a restaurant on a busy intersection at the entrance to an business park. The prior owner was unable to make a go of things and unfortunately lost the property. My parents had no restaurant management experience, but the value of the land and improvements was high and the deal they got was good. What did they do? They figured out how to get the maximum benefit from the property. (My college business classes called this "highest and best use"). First, they hired someone experienced in restaurant management to reopen the restaurant. Instead of just serving dinner, as the prior owner had done, they opened for lunch as well and came up with an menu the chef could quickly and cheaply prepare which drew folks from the adjacent business park in droves. Many costs were fixed... the mortgage, insurance, taxes. They couldn't change these things. But by opening for lunch and promoting a "budget" menu to local workers, the money they made was "gravy." After that happened, they came up with a happy hour promotion... inexpensive drinks and appetizers. You know what? More "gravy". Then they came up with another menu for a couple of the typical slower restaurant nights to get more people in. After a couple of years of very good business, they sold the restaurant business (but not the land and building) at a very good profit, assuring a very nice lease rate for several more years because they had figured out how to make the numbers work very well using the factors they could not change. Then, a couple of years later they sold the real estate, again at a very good price because the high lease rate brought up the value of the land. THAT'S MANAGEMENT! THAT'S HOW YOU DO THINGS. YOU TAKE LEMONS AND MAKE LEMONADE. YOU DON'T BLAME OTHER PEOPLE FOR JUST TRYING TO MAKE A LIVING. YOU DON'T BLAME YOUR EMPLOYEES FOR YOUR MISTAKES... YOU MAKE YOUR EMPLOYEES YOUR PARTNERS. THAT IS SOMETHING THIS MANAGEMENT HAS FAILED MISERABLY TO DO.

If U added an extra couple of hours of flying time to each aircraft, it would be "gravy". We already have our aircraft lease payments to make and our gate space to pay for. Adding flights and flying hours would add revenue, but much of the cost of doing so would already be fixed into the current debt load. Adding longer flights would reduce the debt load by allowing us to get rid of expensive gates and landing fees and decrease fuel burn associated with takeoffs, landings, and idling.

Here's an example of how Management can change things at U. We hold, I believe, five gates at SFO. (I know this will change when we move to the other terminal, but it's an example). From those five gates, we operate nine flights a day, all to our hub cities. So in most instances, the average passenger will connect to another city thereby invalidating any revenue potential from the hub city and making the hub operation a cost center rather than a profit center. Now let's say U did something they seem to have not done in a long time... thought things through. They could give up two or three gates at that station and figure out where else people WANT to fly directly... for example BOS (a U focus city). They could probably come close to filling a 321 or 757 with business fares, get folks into our focus city, and feed some of them into SJ's from there. Now imagine they did the same thing from SFO to MIA, or to SJU, or to EWR. And imagine they had simalar sations in LAX and SAN and PDX, running flight to our hubs and to other popluar cities. Just one example but hardly rocket science.

As for your questions on multi-tasking at LUV. Yes, LUV F/A's do clean planes, but that's a topic for an entirely different string. Long story short, they don't serve food. Would you go into a restaurant and order a meal when if you knew the server had just cleaned the bathroom? Aside from that, flight attendants are not paid for that time. There are FAA regulated duties which flight attendants must perform during non-paid time, but non-regulated duties should be paid. I can't speak for the other work groups regarding their work rules, but it is my understanding that LUV rampers do multiple duties.

I believe it is managememt's intention to add the 60 A/C because they realize they made a huge mistake cutting as much as they did. They are just trying to maximize the benefit by holding it over Labor's head and rewrighting work rules.

Bay, I don't think many folks here really object to redefining job descriptions and multi-tasking. But we want it without further job losses and with a creditble, intelligent plan to guide us prosperously into the future. U employees are tired of paying for the mistakes of past mismansgement. We want a plan that involves new, innovative sources of revenue. We want a plan that involves beating the LCC's at their own game. If we could see these things from management, it would be a good thing and I think employees would be receptive to making changes if they involved growing the airline and becoming profitable. Current management has had plenty of time to address these issues and have failed to legitimately do so.

Good grief Dave, what's the problem?

You're free to:
Add and subract stations.
Add and subract routes.
Add and subract managment
Add and subtract hubs.
Add and subtract Destinations.
Add and subtract departments.
Add and subtract services.
Hedge or not hedge fuel,
And a plethora of other options most of us don't even know about.

What you can't have, is that the under paid, under benefited, contract labor will not give up any more wages, benefits, OR SCOPE.

What we do, is what we do. We have a contract with you for what we do. We extended our contracts five years while surrendering wages, raises and benefits. We gave you these concessions because we care about our company and our fellow workers. ( And you bullied us into it ).

There are lots of things you can, and should, do to make this Airline profitable. But when it comes to contract labor:

PineyBob

I don't normally agree with most of what you say.....Given that..Your right on about David and his leadership skills. He should be like a politician who takes his causes to the masses. Get on the wooden crate on talk and tell people about what your trying to do. Talk until you you can't talk no more.

I guess it's easier to stay in the Crystal Palace, and be kept away from us front line folks. I wonder how much David really knows about his airline and how badly things are.....Probably kept uninformed by his VP's.............

BoeingBoy said:
Here's my take on the weekly message & PPG article:

1 - The "plan" should have been developed as a part of the bankruptcy process. Because it wasn't, we are approaching a year of little or no progress on the structural changes needed to have any possibility of saving this sinking ship.
Give that man a cigar.