Gag Order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart

Jan 29, 2003
US Airways issues demanding guidelines ordering employees and employee spouses to do it our way or hit the highway. Here are just two that really caught my mind:

1. Employees cannot identify themselves as employees online even on their personal computers. They are unable to post “I am expressing my own ideas and not necessarily those of the companyâ€￾.

2. Employees must have written consent from management to hold a second job. Outside employment that might embarrass or reflect discredit upon or conflict with the best interest of the company for employees, THEIR SPOUSES, domestic partners or members of immediate families is not allowed.

WOW, Seigel you must really be concerned about being asked to resign. As an employee I challenge these rules. The Unions need to stop conceding to your demands and order you to either close down or hit the highway yourself Seigel.

CEOs continue to inflate their paychecks while laying off workers; unions are notably weaker. Part of the dilemma for unions is the lack of powerful political voices that share their viewpoints or concerns. The result, with a labor movement that has been in varying degrees of decline for decades, is that labor leaders have become so ineffective that neither their members nor political policymakers pay much attention to their views.

If government is to be in the business of helping people, the last people it should be helping are the ones laying off thousands and putting the proceeds in their own pockets. Such policies aren't simple selfishness; they're an attempt to improve our country by pulling the pendulum back from the class warfare and extreme corporatism now dominating every facet of our economic and political policy.

People need to understand that labor struggles benefit everyone that the inconvenience of strikes and public actions is tolerated or supported as part of the price of a better society. We need to make that case here -- and then hit the streets with the message united we stand, divided we fall.

BRAVEHEART

You'll find these rules at more companies than just US Airways. When I spent a couple years at AOL - we had the same rules. Of course when the average joe has access to somewhat sensitive information (such as home phone number, CC info, etc) on people of importance. Of course AOL was also the type that if anyone sneezed the word union, they were "seeking employment opportunities outside of the company."

Status
Not open for further replies.