Garton back at American Eagle as Pres and CEO

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
AMR Corporation Announces Daniel Garton President and Chief Executive Officer of American Eagle

FORT WORTH, Texas, June 10, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ --In a move that positions its regional airline for continued growth and success, AMR Corporation (NYSE: AMR), parent company of American Airlines and American Eagle, today named Daniel P. Garton President and Chief Executive Officer of American Eagle, one of the world's largest regional airlines. AMR also reiterated its intent to evaluate the possible divestiture of American Eagle.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=117098&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1436940

About 10 years too late to the "sell the regional party" IMO. Nobody's gonna pay big bucks to buy an airline flying a couple hundred 50 seats and smaller baby regional jets.

This move really makes me wonder what's going on on the sixth floor. Bowler retires without warning, and without an immediate successor named. Now, Dan is taking a lateral/downgrade into a position he used to have before Don O'Hare retired in the 90's?....

AMR used to be pretty good at having succession planning ready to go on a moment's notice. These last two moves are pretty uncharacteristic of the way AMR's worked in the past. Either they're really struggling to find people to take the job, or maybe they're looking at outside candidates because the board has decided what used to be a deep bench is no longer a deep bench....

When I hear both you guys talk in unison about the decision making process not being what it used to be on Amon Carter Blvd, it justs reaffirms my opinion that Arpey has to go and no longer has the confidence of managers or rank and file employees.

When I hear both you guys talk in unison about the decision making process not being what it used to be on Amon Carter Blvd, it justs reaffirms my opinion that Arpey has to go and no longer has the confidence of managers or rank and file employees.

Agreed. Arpey has to go before he finishes us off.

Agreed. Arpey has to go before he finishes us off.
You people need to learn a bit about business.

A CEO and his handpicked minions are no more than mouthpieces for the Board of Directors. These executives, as much as we like to hate them, are doing no more than the bidding of the BOD and being paid rather well for their obvious stupidity but also their unwavering loyalty.

Arpey and the other players are simply prostitutes (as are we all, to some extent). While he is a total ass, he's following orders.

Please don't take this as any degree of defense for the SOB and his minions, rather, let's aim our anger at those who actually do make the decisions and hand out the tasks.

You people need to learn a bit about business.

A CEO and his handpicked minions are no more than mouthpieces for the Board of Directors. These executives, as much as we like to hate them, are doing no more than the bidding of the BOD and being paid rather well for their obvious stupidity but also their unwavering loyalty.

Arpey and the other players are simply prostitutes (as are we all, to some extent). While he is a total ass, he's following orders.

Please don't take this as any degree of defense for the SOB and his minions, rather, let's aim our anger at those who actually do make the decisions and hand out the tasks.

AA is The Peter Principle at it best.

This is a good move. Garton is useless - he can do a lot less damage running Eagle than anything involving mainline/AMR.

As for the succession, I personally suspect that that's why they brought Jim Ream in from ExpressJet. That guy is sharp - I know many people that worked with him years ago when he was at AA, in Purchasing, and they all speak incredibly highly of him. I think they stuck him in M&E temporarily because that was the position that they had open at the time - but I think he'll be running the place in the not too distant future.

Just my $0.02.

This is a good move. Garton is useless - he can do a lot less damage running Eagle than anything involving mainline/AMR.

As for the succession, I personally suspect that that's why they brought Jim Ream in from ExpressJet. That guy is sharp - I know many people that worked with him years ago when he was at AA, in Purchasing, and they all speak incredibly highly of him. I think they stuck him in M&E temporarily because that was the position that they had open at the time - but I think he'll be running the place in the not too distant future.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks for your opinion. Maybe there is hope after all.

Just my $0.02.
Being in M&E, when Ream gets rid of the friends of Romano crowd I'll be impressed. Until then, its just business as usual.

Just my $0.02.
... the rats are quickly abandoning the sinking ship ...