Get Ready For Another 5% ZAP

Gone4Now

Sep 1, 2002
Looks like the company will be able to trigger their next kick in the teeth to the employees very soon. I wish all the current working US employees well. Hang in there....but keep your options open....there are other better ways to go ....aviation may get into your blood....but its not the end all in life.
Good Luck!

Can anyone shed some light on how the 5% deal works. What I am after is the duration of the cut. I know the contracts list it as 18 months, but is this a given if the war lasts 3 weeks, or just the maximum timeframe?

----------------
On 3/17/2003 7:12:06 AM wings396 wrote:

Can anyone shed some light on how the 5% deal works. What I am after is the duration of the cut. I know the contracts list it as 18 months, but is this a given if the war lasts 3 weeks, or just the maximum timeframe?
----------------

The 5% deferral (pay cut) goes in effect for war event or terrorist act that has a direct impact on our airline and industry. Who determines that effect? Yup, mangement.
Even if the war lasts one week. Having a significant amount of ground troops in Iraq zone will trigger this event. (contract language) Right about now...I bet management is just "smacking their chops" on getting this cash (interest free, in essence, 36 month loan).

How it works:

5% is to be taken in monthly installments over next 18 month period, and be returned starting the 19 month in montly installments over the next 18 months. IF, however, there is a reported profit in any quarter while this is occuring, U will return the 5% commencing the following month of this report in monthly installments (not all at once, cause its a freeby loan from the employees) until all money is returned; however long that takes. What Einstein H-A-V-A-D genius thought of this "screw"?

This 5% deferral is for ALL employees of U.

Some have thought that the company could take this deferral multiple times; meaning, after the commencement of the 5% being returned during the give back months, that if there was another event...they could take it out again.

WRONG! This message is for management: NO SUCH LANGUAGE EXISTS FOR A REVOLVING 5%.

In addition, and just because they can, will raise medical contributions starting May 1 AGAIN for ALL employees. They snatched another opportunity at that while all "guns were loaded at our heads" over the Christmas winter concessions. Guess they weren't happy with the "gouging upward spiral" of our medical contributions from the summer concessions. In addition to that, they took the Long Term Disability from our pregnant flight attendant group, (we are 82% female in this profession still). We had a 45 day benefit after birth; GONE... for normal preganancy, you get 1-2 days...a $90-$180 check. However, you go early...you get a big fat "0"!

When all this commences, we will probably see a surge of our employees filing for "personal" BK.

I just love these guys....

-------------------------------------------
In addition, and just because they can, will raise medical contributions starting May 1 AGAIN for ALL employees.

Just wondering what your contribution % is now and what it was proir to your concessions.

----------------
On 3/17/2003 8:54:26 AM justanadd wrote:

In addition, and just because they can, will raise medical contributions starting May 1 AGAIN for ALL employees.

Just wondering what your contribution % is now and what it was proir to your concessions.
----------------

Went from approx. 3% to 20% not including deductible increases, co-pays and scripts. And keeps on trucking upwards in the forwarding years.

Much higher for the Mechanics in the IAM, Dispatchers, and pilots... 26%.

Here's the real kicker, finding out that not ALL diagnosis' are covered. We got caps and limits on this so called new PPO coverage negotiated by the company and Blue Cross. Can't wait to veiw the "Summary Description". This will be a HELL RAISER for me, just wait.

These are ALL W-2 hits...wages, pension, medical, they "smack" your disposable income silly.

We are all just so lucky to have been "charmed" by our "labor friendly" CEO. Just think how bad it could have been if he did not have our best interests at heart!!!!!

W/G deserve the money. Where would we be now if it weren't for them?

PITbull, you sound very dissatisfied working for U, the way you've been treated (and perhaps rightfully so), but if that's the case, why do you still work there? Sorry, but talk is cheap.

----------------
On 3/18/2003 1:19:15 AM motnot wrote:

PITbull, you sound very dissatisfied working for U, the way you've been treated (and perhaps rightfully so), but if that's the case, why do you still work there? Sorry, but talk is cheap.
----------------

Mr. NOT,

Here's a penny for your thought:

Cheap shot, and a cop out statement...

Yep! Just what mangement would say...They'd just l-o-v-e to see me exist...well, thanks for your concern with my happiness, but after 22 years here, I think who should leave are the boys who just came!
Naah, think I'll hang here for awhile and "rant".

And your right...my 2 cents is cheap...should charge more!

---------------------------
Mr. NOT,

Yep! Just what mangement would say...They'd just l-o-v-e to see me exist...well, thanks for your concern with my happiness, but after 22 years here, I think who should leave are the boys who just came!
And your right...my 2 cents is cheap...should charge more!

PITbull
---------------------------

Hey, that was a serious question. Look, I have no affiliation with U or its employees or management. I'm not suggesting you leave, I'm simply wondering why you badmouth your company so much and seemingly dislike your job so much and don't do anything about it.

I know what it's like to work for a crappy company that makes 8 hours of your day miserable. I quit a job a few months ago because of that reason. It just wasn't worth it any more.

So, please, I'd like to know.

------------------------------------------
Mr. NOT,

Right on PITBULL