Get Ready

Now you are misinterpreting, Bear. FLSA defines breaks--rest or coffee breaks as being a respite from work of 20 minutes or less. And, it says that those breaks because they are to the benefit of both the employer and the employee must be compensed. It goes on to say that a meal break which the regs say should be at least 30 minutes long to be so considered are not compensable if the employee is not required to do any work during the period and is not required to take said break while sitting at the work station. The section quoted is simply drawing a distinction between "coffee" breaks and meal breaks and the conditions under which an employer could choose not to compense that time.
I am not sure how what you quoted from me "misinterprets" anything. But that is not the point. The main point is that federal law does not require employers to give breaks. Do you agree with that much?

THE FLSA has been around a long time. I dealt with it frequently when I worked for the Texas Employment Commission.
Good for you. And I don't want to get too specific but lets just say that in my post-F/A life, dealing with labor and employment law issues is about all I do now.

Latest posts