Ghosts Of Christmas Past

Nov 27, 2003
The following letter dated 1/27/97 addressed to Ed Koziatek International V.P. TWU is from a line mechanic at JFK .. Read and draw your own conclusions of how a veteran AMT with 30+ years seniority felt concerning contract 1995...

Dear brother Koziatek,

Recently I had the pleasure ( misfortune ?) of reading a copy of the 29D grievance on the Shop Repair Person issue .. Quite frankly, brother Koziatek I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Your slick and very brief cover letter indicating that the union prevailed almost tempted me to skip to the award portion of the case and not read the entire case which included an interesting recap of the 1995 contract negotiations. Now that I have read it I have come to some conclusions in my mind about the events that lead to the signing of the 1995 contract, they are as follows;

1. When the TWU went into negotiations, they did so with the intention of negotiating away our jobs and wages.

2. The TWU's negotiating skills appear to be inadequate in todays so called '' Difficult Years''

3. The TWU was unaware of the impact the weak contractual language would have on our daily operations. This is the reason for the 29D grievance.

4. The TWU agreed to the SRP before the actual end of the prior agreement. According to the report it was agreed to in principal on 1-11-95. You gave in without a fight on what should have been a strikeable issues.

On page 3 of the arbitration case report it states that the company had proposed approximately 10 shops to contract out. We ultimately gave the right to convert 25 percent of the shops in Tulsa and AFW to SRP shops. Could you please explain to me the chain of events that led up to us giving up more work to the company than they had originally asked for? By my calculations at 4500 employees at Tulsa and AFW, the company could convert 1125 jobs to SRP positions. Its increadible to me that you could bargain away so many A and P jobs considering that the company only requested the conversion of 10 shops in the first place. Nice going!

I also noticed at various times in the report it appears that the negotiating team admits that they were confused or unclear on what exactly it was they were agreeing to. For example, on pg. 10 paragrah 2, it states '' asked why the unions language on mutual agreement had not been refected in the contract itself'' Marion Finley replied, ''Why it was worded that way I do not know''. It appears in your haste to settle our contract, the time to review and understand the contract and its impact on our membership was not taken.

I'm also astounded at the various times in the case where the TWU admits that it went into negotiations with the intention of LOWERING wages for its members. Take for example page 1 paragrah 2, where the TWU agreed with the company that ''Accomodations would have to be made to reduce costs''. How about page 3 paragraph 2, where the company's negotiator states the company and the union began '' Brainstorming meetings'' in order to arrive at a means of obtaining LOWER PAY RATES! In my 30 plus years with the airline and as a dues paying member of the TWU I was always under the impression that a union was supposed to improve wages not lower them. I was shocked, appalled and disgusted at what I was reading. As a matter of fact maybe you should reread the TWU constitution, article ll item (B) which states, the object of our organization shall be to ''Establish through collective bargaining adequate wage standards and retirement benifits, shorter working hours and the IMPROVEMENTS in the conditions of employment for the workers in the industry''. I demand an explanation as to the reasons behind my union going into negotiations with a company that is making record profits trying to negotiate lower pay rates for my union brothers and sisters. I was always under the impression that when negotiating you start off high and bargain to a middle ground. Any of you guys ever heard of that philosophy?

Brother Finley also states that '' Had the agreement reflected the company's version, he would not have taken it back to the membership for ratification'' Well Brother Koziatek this whole contract was an illusion created by the TWU right from the start and in my opinion I believe its time that we admit to ourselves that we can no longer bargain effectively on our own. Even you , by your own admission throughout this report concur with this fact. It is painfully obvious that you and your nogotiating team lacked the skills necessary to negotiate a proper contract that would insure the objectives of the TWU constitution would be carried out. It takes a big man to admit he is wrong and its time to make this admission for the good of the team.

So, at this time , I am requesting several things from you Brother Koziatek;

1. The resignation of you and the entire negotiating committee involved in the 1995 contract.

2. An assurance from the International that in the future ALL NEGOTIATIONS will be carried out by a team of experienced lawyers and not by groups of large egoed fleet service clerks and former mechanics.

3. Formally apologize, in letter form to all TWU represented members for the concessionary contract we hastily gave the company with a promise to institute changes in future negotiations.

4. Not to insult my intelligence by a reply stating that you feel your negotiating skills are more than adequate, as you have admitted in this report, they are not.

Thank you Brother Koziatek for your many years of loyal service but for the good of our beloved union I believe that it is time for you to admit to yourself what is obvious to a great many of your union brothers. It is time to stand down.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,

As you can see boys and girls history does indeed repeat itself while a select few at the top enjoy themselves we work each day wondering why nothing changes and it seems to be getting worse... Have you had enough yet??? or can we lower the bar some more for AMTs.. You decide.....

Jim-

Well Jim, you could just throw away the bar with amfa, they have proven their abilities to allow AMT's to retrain into other livlihoods, like HVAC.

TeamTWU said:
Well Jim, you could just throw away the bar with amfa, they have proven their abilities to allow AMT's to retrain into other livlihoods, like HVAC.
t t
is this the best you can do?
Do we not have people on the outside retraining also.

TEAM TWU completely disregards the fact that 700+ are RIF's from Tulsa, and Jim Little allowed removal of job security protections for over 3500 TWU Members "without further ratification".

At least the AMFA members are awaiting an arbitrator decision, TWU is not only not awaiting arbitration, they are also promoting lean manufacturing activities to insure members are never recalled as retirements are taken. :shock:

One lean manufacturing instructor got honest with the TWU members and diclosed the huge number of jobs reduced at manufacturing plants where he previously implemented and trained lean manufacturing techniques. TEAM TWU scrambled for a week and a half trying to cover that one up. But to this day, they still promote the management program like good little bed-wetters.

GO AMFA

TeamTWU said:
Funny you should mention that. We had a Crew Chief here at JFK who decided to take the street in the layoff rather than bump down. We have been told that he has since resigned from the company to do HVAC work!

Thanks to the TWU mechanics are being driven out of the industry permanently!!

Jim;
The letter from 95 was good. Just goes to show that the recent debacle is not an anomaly, its regular business for the TWU. The only union that sets out to lower wages when the company is making money, or not.

When I first got voted in, I requested the pay charts all the way back to 1980 from the International.

They claimed they couldnt find them, didnt have time etc. They said I would have to come down and look for them myself if I wanted. I said fine and went down to the ATD office in TX.

When I got there Koziatek had them already copied on his desk.

He brought me down there to feel me out.

We had a legnthy discussion. He went on to make excuses for all the concessionary contracts of the past. ED:"If we had not have given those concessions you would not have a job here at AA". Me:
"So, I'd have a job with someone else and we would all be making more money. having one of the major players agreeing to concessions puts pressure on all the others to do the same. In the end we all lose". Ed; "Things were pretty bad, we had to get through those tough times." Me; "So did everyone else, but everyone else did not give everything that you guiys did." Ed; "We had no choice, what could we have done? Me; "What unions have always done, Say no and threaten to strike." Ed; "STRIKE, let me tell you something, you might get the guys in NY to strike but there is no way that Tulsa would ever strike, no matter what they were taking away. Those guys have farms and live like kings. Its a completely different mindset up there. You will never see a strike at AA". Me: Well if thats the case, and the company knows it there is no hope for this union and that is your fault". Ed; "My fault? The guys voted it iN! Thats not my fault." Me" I dont buy it. Have you ever told them to vote no? Isnt that what you are supposed to do as a leader, try to get them the best deal possible? If you dont believe that you could ever lead a strike, even the threat of a strike how could you call this a union?" Ed; "Hold on there, I've havent had lunch yet. Are you hungry? Excuse me, hey Jim, you want to go out for some lunch?

I had a similar feel out from Art Luby at the 2000 Cope Convention where Art paid for my hotel room.

This union is not a union. They are a broker thats in a comfortable relationship with the company. In 95 the company was already making record profits, they made a profit in 94. So the TWU sent out a leading survey and used the results of that survey to justify giving the company a 6 year concessionary contract. They mislead the members by saying "dont worry fellas, we got a me too clause with the pilots and you know they are not going to go 6 years with only 6%. BUT WE DID!

So now they have a new excuse-bankruptcy. And again we are stuck with a long term concessionary contract. The Industry leading contract that they claim to have gotten us in 2001 was only for three years and they couldnt even keep it in place. Their excuse is "they were going to filke bankruptcy". Yea, but another 6 year contract? They put in 6 year concessionary deals when times are bad but then cant even keep a short term deal thats decent in place, instead they open it up mis term and put in another 6 year concessionary deal. Didnt they learn anything from 95? Of course they did, they learned that by giving the company those concessions it helped AA become the largest carrier out there. Now they are the largest carrier out there with the lowest labor costs. As AA cashes in so will the TWU in the form of more dues payers.

As for us, "Well you voted it in. its not the Unions fault".

It sure as hell is when they chose to only give us half the story, when they hired the same firm that the company hired, when they did all the companys work for them using our money to sell us the worst deal ever in the history of the labor movement.

Its time to throw these bums out. 1100 more cards is all that is needed to get 60%.
Only 130 and Title 1 will be at 60%.

Title II is the one that needs work, only 23% have signed cards, they need 879 more cards to get to 60%.

Title IV and the Sim Techs are small, even though only 10% have signed cards they only need 70 and 53 to hit the 60% mark.

As usual the line stations is where the drive is strongest, 86% have signed cards. MCO, SNA and STL are dragging down the average which would be over 90% if they were not included in the count.

For all the complaining that we hear from TWA guys it sems that they are the TWUs biggest fans. Tulsa has more AMFA cards percentage and number wise than MCI and that has historically been the TWUs stronghold. In fact there are more cards from Tulsa than there are mechanics in MCI. The TWA strongholds are among the lowest in the card count with MCI the lowest at 29%, making it the lowest of all three bases. MCO, another TWA stronghold is the lowest of the line stations at 47%. the next lowest is STL at 77%. IF the three TWA stations are removed Title 1 is at 61%.

When we picked up the EAL guys we got a lot of militant union men, they were IAM, its amazing what a difference there is between these two groups from the same union.

The card count at MCI will remain in the favor of the TWU until according to some on this board, the seniority issue is resolved. The projected strength of TWU Local 530 has created a new individualistic local, such Local 514 in TUL. Even as we watched the news reports concerning the Vision 2025 project the TWU hierarchy spoke of TUL and Local 514 without regard for the rest of the system

TEAM TWU completely disregards the fact that 700+ are RIF's from Tulsa, and Jim Little allowed removal of job security protections for over 3500 TWU Members "without further ratification".

Jim Little allowed? Did Jim Little vote? TWU had a task of finding a way to get the concessionary $$$ package that AA required. The furloughs at TUL were part of that package, they were given a $$$ value. The TWU I suppose could have retained all mechanics and related and taken other benefit packages as $$$ assessments but they did not. You would have also complained of that move, we understand, no one likes concessions.

And haven't I read here that AMFA mechanics furloughed are proud of that fact? They yell from the unemployment lines "Just say no to concessions boys!" I suppose 40% furlough would be worth a no concession package for 60% of our members, but don't ask for volunteers.

Have a great New Year!

TeamTWU said:

Jim Little allowed? Did Jim Little vote? TWU had a task of finding a way to get the concessionary $$$ package that AA required. The furloughs at TUL were part of that package, they were given a $$$ value. The TWU I suppose could have retained all mechanics and related and taken other benefit packages as $$$ assessments but they did not. You would have also complained of that move, we understand, no one likes concessions.

And haven't I read here that AMFA mechanics furloughed are proud of that fact? They yell from the unemployment lines "Just say no to concessions boys!" I suppose 40% furlough would be worth a no concession package for 60% of our members, but don't ask for volunteers.

Have a great New Year!
"Did Jim Little vote."

Yes, he was the ONLY vote. Jim Little signed into effect a contract that he claimed was significantly different than the one ratified by the membership. Ratified with misleading and withheld information.

"TWU had a task of finding a way to get the concessionary $$$ package that AA required. "

"They had a task", "that AA required". So you admit that this is a company union. That the company dictates to the union what we get. Their job is to simply "Sell it to the members."

The only ones that should assign "tasks" to the union is the members, not the company.

"The furloughs at TUL were part of that package, they were given a $$$ value.

And who determined the dollar value? The company right?

"The TWU I suppose could have retained all mechanics and related and taken other benefit packages as $$$ assessments but they did not. You would have also complained of that move, we understand, no one likes concessions."

So we got both, concessions and layoffs. I thought that the reason why we took the most massive concessions in the industry is because we did not want anyones families to suffer. Well what determined the cut off point where only a couple of thousand families were expendable? We know that point, it had nothing to do with members and jobs, it had to do with the amount of productivuty the company wanted to maintain. The fact is that those guys were gone no matter what we offered to give back.

"And haven't I read here that AMFA mechanics furloughed are proud of that fact? They yell from the unemployment lines "Just say no to concessions boys!" "

I'm suprised that you would cite the fact that most of those laid off still wish that we had not agreed to concessions. Kind of undercuts your arguement that everyone feels that we are better off to permanently work for less instead of facing temporary lay offs.

I suppose 40% furlough would be worth a no concession package for 60% of our members, but don't ask for volunteers.

The fact is that with our OSMs even prior to the concessions it would not have been cost effective to close our bases. UAL and USAIR have already consumed capacity from the MROs. That was the only way they could get close to the TWU provided lower labor costs that AA enjoyed. If AA entered the market by closing Tulsa, Alliance and MCI it would create a shortage of capacity and drive up the price even more. In addition to costing more Aircraft Maintenance would have to scheduled around availability of the provider and AA would have lost the quality control that results in operational savings.

Have a great New Year!

Hopefully it will be a great year for all airline workers as we discard our company unions in favor of AMFA and the AGW!

Jim,
This time I must praise you publicly. Way to Go Man!! :up: Your competition is Bumbstruck... I'l bet there's a lot more where that came from...
SHOW NO MERCY, FIRE FOR EFFECT!!!!!!!!

Bob, there are times that your I wonder if you are really that dumb or if perhaps McDonald's fed you some tainted Wally burgers.

Yes, he was the ONLY vote. Jim Little signed into effect a contract that he claimed was significantly different than the one ratified by the membership. Ratified with misleading and withheld information.
Mr. Little did in fact sign our voted on concessionary package into affect, please show me proof of his vote.

"They had a task", "that AA required". So you admit that this is a company union. That the company dictates to the union what we get. Their job is to simply "Sell it to the members."
Did I mention the word require with the words.."to divert a BK?" No Bob, try them without mustard and pickles next time, I did not state that the TWU is a company union, you did. Is a proper rapport necessary with management, of course, you state otherwise will definately show your limited knowledge, though your posts do a good job of that also. The TWU had a tough job in facing the membership with the options at hand, they did so knowing AMFA puppets as yourself would get on the band wagon and stir the membership with your twists, but they did so , that took guts.

So we got both, concessions and layoffs. I thought that the reason why we took the most massive concessions in the industry is because we did not want anyones families to suffer. Well what determined the cut off point where only a couple of thousand families were expendable? We know that point, it had nothing to do with members and jobs, it had to do with the amount of productivuty the company wanted to maintain. The fact is that those guys were gone no matter what we offered to give back.
Bob, was there something in the previous post not obvious to you, try more salad and less carbs Bob. Yes we knew there would be furloughs, please reread that line so you don't ask again. Did we know of the concessions also, we did Bob, if it was a surprise to you perhaps you should spend more time listening instead of typing and eating. Everyone's family suffer, some more than others but that is the way of the unions, seniority issues have always been part of unions. You stated these guys were gone no matter what, please show where you obtained this insight and produce your proof under 5000 words please.

And wasn't it you who stated that the O/H bases were driving your line wage down? That you are in favor of a seperation? Do you have personal agendas hidden in your typings Bob?

Hopefully the new year wil bring solidarity to our membership, you will never see that with AMFA, unless you speak of solidarity on the street.

Have a great Burger Day Bob!

TEAM TWU simple question:

Why did the TWU hire the same financial analysis firm that AA was using?

ECLAT was hired by AA to give a presentation to the TWU leadership. Jim Little hired the same firm to review the company books and present those findings to the Negotiators.

Was this independent review in your mind?

Are you suggesting that ECLAT did something that was illegal? Or that this was a union/company conspiracy put together by clandestines repelling from black helicopters. Do you realy think Mr. Little did not do his homework on this issue? Not sure of your insinuation here but I rest fine knowing Mr. Little did what was best for his members.

Was this independent review in your mind?
Just what were you meaning here, not sure of your intent. If you meant was this an independant review I would say yes. I do not believe any one company would open themselves up for a lawsuit by doing anything other than what was asked, nor do I believe our union, the TWU, would combine with the company to mislead the workforce, both union and non-union, into a concessionary stance.

Is it easy to suggest these undertakings to members after the fact? Evidently so, or you would not have asked. I believe the TWU did one of the roughest things it has had to do at AA, ask for concessions they knew would furlough fellow members and reduce the benefits package of all, knowing that the TWU would face disgruntled members after the fact.

I wish I could have looked into the future, as do we all, and see what would have occurred had the package been denied by the membership. Would we have been like NWA, having AMFA reps persuading the masses to vote no, and then finding base closures and 40% furlough to face, hard to say and not really fair to insinuate that event would have ccurred. We'll never know. The membership voted as they saw fit, the union presented the package they felt would affect the masses the least and still keep the company out of BK.

Is this a perfect world we live in? Negative.

Have a safe New Year and let's hope this one will find us in better work enviroment.

I do not believe any one company would open themselves up for a lawsuit by doing anything other than what was asked, nor do I believe our union, the TWU, would combine with the company to mislead the workforce, both union and non-union, into a concessionary stance.

Boy does this guy need help or what?

Bob,

Have you ever seen such a company union in your life?

The guy actually thinks it was an independent review by hiring the exact same firm the company had hired.

Independent Review would only happen if we hired a different firm.

I think it is safe to say that TWU advocates answers and thinking regarding this single issue is enough to sign cards and remove them from the property.

Why bother to hire ECLAT? You already knew the outcome. Does one actually believe there was ANY chance that the review by ECLAT would glean anything other than duplicate results?

I think we should have the TWU books audited and confirm they really ever paid ECLAT a dime.

Not only are they sheep, they are the dumbest sheep on earth.

As stated by CIO in previous post;

Nor do I believe our union, the TWU, would combine with the company to mislead the workforce, both union and non-union, into a concessionary stance.
Is it easy to suggest these undertakings to members after the fact?. I believe the TWU did one of the roughest things it has had to do at AA, ask for concessions they knew would furlough fellow members and reduce the benefits package of all, knowing that the TWU would face disgruntled members after the fact.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Surely you jest or are you purposely trying to insult our intelligence? In fact I can give you more than one instance when twu went behind members back to make secret deals with company, have you ever heard of the 700+ LOA? did we get to vote on any of this? One such underhanded deal by twu which involved me personally came when several men including myself bid temporary inspection jobs at Tul. One person failed the test because he was unable to fit in the fuel tank ( a requirement for the position at that time, but later struck down as unfair because some full time inspectors weigh over 400 pounds) <-- not a typo.

The person denied said bid filed a grievance which went to second step and was decided during a meeting with company and union to award this individual full back pay and I have no problem with that... Then the twu asked for and received a permanent full time inspection position for this person.. * NEWSFLASH* This is a direct violation of contract, Ref Temporary bids '' upon completion of temporary assignment employee will be returned to original position or eqivalent'' Temporary bids do not become permanent because a couple of good ol boys closet themselves in a room and decide this..

By making this seperate side deal the twu shafted every member including myself that could have bid this position if it had been posted per the contract... When we confronted twu about this their first response was to deny, then they sent an E-board member to try and back us down... When I first told the twu president he sided with us but later avoided us completly to the point of hiding in his office hoping we would disappear.. The most senior temporary inspector got on it and made the twu and the company remove this fraudulantly won decision but it was a fight...

The absolute pinnacle of twu achievement came when I was riffed from a permanent inspection bid Aug 2002.. When we got the RIF paperwork I made a choice to relocate to STL to keep my position, this was on the bump sheet along with several others in no particular order... I'll admit I was unfamiliar with the procedure so I contacted the V.P. of twu 514 looking for help and answers.. He called the twu international and confered with them briefly then assured me STL would be where I would go if that was my first chioce, and followed this up by saying we could confirm this by visiting the company representative and head of HR D. Stewart.. Both men assured me STL was in the bag, so I went there met the folks and even looked at a senority list TWA, yep I got senority on at least a third of these boys.... Back in Tulsa a week later I got a call from twu V.P. saying company had made mistake and STL was now '' Not an Option'' and if I wanted to keep my inspection position I'd be going to LAX.. I wanted more time to decide on a course of action and filed a grievance for the company's so called ''Mistake'' along with a wasted vacation day... This grievance died after second step because nobody at twu would help me pursue it.. Technically no contract violation had occured so that makes it ok to #### on a member.. Lowest system seniority is where a person goes to bump the low man, but as I admitted in the beginning I looked for help from my union and got bogus information from all sides until it was too late... What am I paying dues for if the twu does not even understand the contract we had ????

AN INJUSTICE TO ONE IS AN INJUSTICE TO ALL