Giving Away Our Product...

deltawatch

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Giving away our product...
By Chris Fox, President CWA Local 13302

We have a surprisingly large number of people entitled to free space positive (generally first class), personal and vacation travel on our airline. The current number of people in this exclusive club is 721, including a whole gaggle of current and retired executives, executives of other airlines, members and former members of the Board of Directors, and "director level" US Airways management...and their children and family members! Many of these 721 people work for other corporations or airlines, yet they remain members of the US Airways "Old Boys Club", entitled to free premium seats for their personal travel - seats that could otherwise be sold and generating revenue.

How much does it cost us? – try $86,600 in one 6-day period...

It is not uncommon for paying customers to be denied boarding while these 721 occupy premium seats for personal travel. A recent example occurred when the free-riding president of another airline bumped two first class passengers from an oversold flight to Florida, or a similar situation involving three seats to Rome (Italy - not NY). In one recent 6-day period this group of 721 people grabbed $85,600 worth of free, space positive, personal travel for themselves – an amount equal to the annual salaries of 2 agents. How much longer can we afford to give away our product when others are willing to pay for it?

And are these people grateful for their free travel privileges? Here are some comments I’ve heard from employees who actually deal with these folks:

Mr. ________ is constantly rude and demanding with our agents over seat assignments.

Mr. ________ calls from the ___ tkt counter and asks our agent if they can tell the tkt counter agent how do their job.

Mr. _______ was disputing the fact that he should be paying taxes on a free international ticket.

Retired executive – currently employed by ________ corporation. Most likely uses space positive benefit to fly on business. Spouse is also still working. We must be the laughing stock of this successful family.

Mr. __________ - executive of ___________ airline. This person is, "Not to be removed in an oversale situation." We would much rather give out DBC's than inconvenience this important man.

Mr. _________ - executive of ____________ airline. Recent flight was overbooked – we were forced to seat his party of 2 in first class and deny boarding to revenue passengers because he wouldn't budge.

Here’s our proposal...

We should never give away seats, particularly premium seats, when customers are willing to pay. These 721 select individuals should not be flying free positive space for personal leisure travel, period. If they are entitled to personal travel privileges on US Airways (which is dubious for many of these people), then it should be on space available basis, just like the US Airways employees.

Goldman Sachs got it right...

Employees from all US Airways labor groups have suggested numerous revenue-generating and cost-cutting ideas to management. But, somehow, the only cost-cutting management seems to focus on is employee pay and benefit cost-cutting.

We agree with the Goldman Sachs analysts who say, "US Airways Management insists that every aspect of the company's operations is under review, but the non-labor cost problem is more complex and amorphous, and we have heard no clear strategy for limiting the non-labor gap."

I have been saying this for years, before we ever promise to give another dime, this needs to be stopped......I couldn't count how many times we have taken denied boardings for these folks. Could someone answer why now VP's and such show they are on a full F8 ticket.....if you look at the form of payment it's some kind of travel credit card....

Add another 4.5 mil that we gave away yesterday.........Oh, sorry Dave you were under contract and deserved the money, and USAir honors their contracts!!!!! :down:

I totally agree! Which person in management decides who gets this privilege?

Let's not forget those who are authorized to travel NRSP (non-revenue space positive) and then leave their manners at home. I've heard nastiness from them like you wouldn't believe. Or they forget the dress code...there IS one for space positive...and demand gate agents or ticket counter agents' names if they are even challenged.
Who are these arrogant free-loaders?
Somebody do something please.

At least if "they", whomever they are, fly for free, why does it have to be space positive? Why not space available just like employees have to. Not to mention bumping paying pax out of their seats. What happens if you ge into it with an agent? I heard of travel privs being suspended, employees even fired, because of incidents that happend while traveling space available. Who reports this and what if the agent fabricates some of that stuff just to get the person's privs suspended?
I know I should have received a seat several times before another individual was given their seat, but I never said anything...unless of course that person got the last seat...luckily that never happened.
Why do those on furlough or leave not get to travel on id-90's? Just curious.

Amen, Light Years.

Good post Deltawatch...I had no idea there were that many people in the system taking up those seats. I mean, space available is one thing because it is an open seat that didn't get sold.

I wonder what other stuff you have uncovered Deltawatch. Anything else you can divulge? :unsure:

night_ice said:
Why do those on furlough or leave not get to travel on id-90's? Just curious.
Good point, night_ice, I wonder that myself.

I also think that it is a bit unfair that everyone currently on furlough, whether it is voluntary or not, is put on the standby list under the active people. If someone was good enough to go on vol. furlough to save another's job, should they have to be put on the standby list under the active employees, (even if the active employee works at a wholly owned and has only been employed less than a week?) Not trying to sound mean here, but that just doesn't seem right to me.

They should not be penalized when non-reving for taking the leave. They earned their seniority, and they should be allowed to use it when they fly.

The positive space officers do not have to pay a pet charge to send their pet underneath as checked baggage. Regular employees have to pay $50.00 one way charge (which is 1/2 off). Also their pets inside the cabin can not be bumped if the cabin has reached it's max on carry-on pets.

deltawatch said:
Employees from all US Airways labor groups have suggested numerous revenue-generating and cost-cutting ideas to management.
But, somehow, the only cost-cutting management seems to focus on is employee pay and benefit cost-cutting.
this is true. why would they listen to any thing sensable. probably the people flying on all these free seats is the management! thats what i think

Bumping paying customers for anyone is a foolish business practice. I cannot think of a single situation where an individuals want/need to get somewhere would outweigh the loss of goodwill involved, not to mention the ethics of intentionally screwing a paying customer.

Of all the people, these people can afford an airline ticket more than anyone, yet they take. This is another fine example of corporate greed run amock.

maybe somebody from management will read this and do something.
this would save a little money I think.

Clue's right. This is beyond absurd. Not only should NRSP be eliminated for all cases that do not directly contribute to US's bottom line, but under no circumstances should any NR sit in FC until all DM customers entitled to upgrades have been satisfied. If that means that some VP at another airline sits in a center seat in the back of coach, then so be it. In fact, all the better for it.

This is all about revenue.

atlantis said:
maybe somebody from management will read this and do something.
this would save a little money I think.
never mind i just reliazed what I said. management problaby won't do a thing. silly me!

Latest posts