Giving Up The Seniority Fight!

Twicebaked

Veteran
May 22, 2003
Moderator, please do not merge this with another thread.

I am going to try to end this once and for all. AWA flight attendants, if you are reading this LISTEN UP and listen closesly. Tell all you AWA friends to read this and get informed.

First, Nobody is out to steal your job or seniority. US is only trying to SAVE what they have earned accured and deserve. If you have 5 years before the merger, you WILL have 5 years after...not 10 or another number that you DID NOT EARN, ACCRUE OR DESERVE. DOH is the only thing that will protect all of the AFA flight attendants.

Second, a furloughed US flight attendant is NOT going to bump you out of your base. IF (that is a big if) a furloughed US flight attendant accepts a postion at AWA, they are accepting as a NEW HIRE with NEW HIRE SENIORITY. Once we merger, they STILL have that NEW HIRE seniority.

Third, once their US seniority can now hold a spot (remeber not all will accept) I WOULD ASSUME (again my assumption) they would have to return to the EAST coast with their US seniority number OR stay further WEST with their new US (old AWA) seniority. Again, this is my assumption, but I am sure I am not off base.

Fourth, if date of hire is taken out (which it won't) why do you assume that things will be favorable to an AWA flight attendant? Things could get worse for you and the ENTIRE INDUSTRY. We are not done with the consolidating. There is a big possibility that we may merge or even acquire or be acquired by another airline. Taking DOH out is playing Russian Rullet. Are you willing to take that risk? Let's say AA buys us....we all know how that ended for TWA now don't we?Do you want that to happen to you? They claimed fairness, ask a former TWA flight attendant if that was fair.

Fifth,...a 20+ year fence???????? What on earth are you thinking?There is no way on this green earth that the "new" US management will allow that. How can you run an airline with that division? We fly many trips from other bases due to shortages, irregular ops etc... I can just see it now. "I am sorry, you are PHX based you cannot do this Rome trip even though you are right here and we need you. You are on the other side of the fence." I am sure you will have a fit then. Not everyone has 30 years at US and not everyone wants to come to PHX either. Plus, there has to be an OPENING for anyone to switch to ANY base. YOU CANNOT AND WILL NOT GET BUMPED OUT. Can you potentially lose that block that you are used to??,.....yes. When you have an airline with multiple bases, that happens. Ask the people in PHL how they have a block, then lose it, then have it, then lose it. That is how a BIG airline works. Get used to it, as you are about to be bigger than you ever thought possible. And lets say something happens in your life (you meet that special someone..I am being corny now) and you need to change bases, US has 6 for you to chose from...you have what???? One base! Why is that everyone assumes that everybody wants to come to PHX? I am quite sure you have many many flight attendants that want to come to the East coast. Again, you have one base PHX. We have LGA, DCA, BOS, PIT, PHL, and CLT. Maybe they don't appeal to you, but I am sure they do to many others. Don't fence yourselves out. A fence for a few years is suffice.

Lastly, what is going on now is ALREADY causing disstress amongst the 2 groups and if this continues, it will get worse. Considering the above statements, there is NO NEED for this now or in the future.

I think what might ease some minds is to find out how many PSA people are still commuting from the West coast. Does anybody know an exact figure or a rough ball park?

We (US) are not out to get you! We need you, like you need us. Let's make this work. We all pay $39 a month for union dues. The AFA BOD will make it's decision in October. Pending the outcome, we can DISCUSS it later and how to move FORWARD with the decision. You may not like the decision or maybe I won't. We will not be able to change it. Learn to ACCEPT the things you cannot change.

The attitudes on these boards is shameful at best. Yes, I even get mad and say things at times. We used to post on here and discuss aviaiton issues. Now with a few "newbies", all we do is fight and argue. We need to stop as we will be ONE in a matter of weeks.

Nice post twicedbaked! Your position is very understandable. I have to agree with you on the attitudes being displayed. Like Doug has said, both airline employees are professionals, but some on this post aren't acting like it. With such difficult decisions ahead (none of which most of us will have a say in) it's best to keep demeaning, destructive, derogatory emotions out of a post. We need to start building "The Premier LCC" in America by having constructive and thoughtful contributions. Some folks will always have an outlook of the "glass is half empty", so no matter what you say or do they are negative and they are pretty easy to pick out in these boards. We will need as many the "glass is half full" kinda people in the new US Airways. Let's all "Get On Board" and start making it happen!

Well, I got an answer to my own question. There are about 600 flight attendants from Western states. The states are CA,CO,NV,WA,UT,AZ. These numbers were as of August. It doesn't include those that took the VFLRI or II nor does it account for the almost 400 f/a retirements by DEC 2005. So, it is what it is. These numbers should ease some nerves.

Twicebaked said:
Well, I got an answer to my own question. There are about 600 flight attendants from Western states. The states are CA,CO,NV,WA,UT,AZ. These numbers were as of August. It doesn't include those that took the VFLRI or II nor does it account for the almost 400 f/a retirements by DEC 2005. So, it is what it is. These numbers should ease some nerves.
[post="298558"][/post]​

Everything is correct but one little part., When the fence comes down our seniority goes up in PHX base -

mdarules said:
Everything is correct but one little part., When the fence comes down our seniority goes up in PHX base -
[post="298563"][/post]​

Meaning if you go to work at AWA you go in at the bottom until the fence is brought down, then you are slotted at your seniority - look at it this way- If there are 200 f/as that go to AWA and are at the bottom and then they kick them out after the fence they will be in dire need of people b/c through that time there will be what is called attrition. If they Displaced those folks back to the east coast they would have to fill their vacancies and it will have to be done through the furlough list. Simply put you will stay in PHX and then get your old USAir seniority because no one will resign and give up their seniority to go to AWA. If they try that then we will just say NO... They can't hire off the streets because we will be one company and we have too many furloughed people. We will negotiate and get what we deserve... Longevity and our USAir seniority...

Twicebaked, I am glad you posted this. I only more would read it and understand it, and not give in to fear. It is a very small number of AWA flight attendants that are making the noise about proportional integration, the rest KNOW that date of hire is what is in our AFA Constitution and ByLaws, and accept it.
Regardless, IT IS WHAT IT IS. Date of hire is fair and will prevail.
Also, I whole-heartily agree with your statement regarding another merger. Our pilots got an email update regarding this issue: the consolidation is NOT over, and we, the "new" US Air will probably be involved in another merger. Soon.
Peace....

hulagirl said:
Twicebaked, I am glad you posted this. I only more would read it and understand it, and not give in to fear. It is a very small number of AWA flight attendants that are making the noise about proportional integration, the rest KNOW that date of hire is what is in our AFA Constitution and ByLaws, and accept it.
[post="298599"][/post]​

Small, like 85%?

hp_fa said:
Small, like 85%?
[post="298610"][/post]​

Yeah. Like 8.5%. You must have forgotten that little "dot" between the 8 and 5.
We all got our flightlogs today--did you read yours? Read page 11 re: this issue.
Let it go--it is a dead issue.

Fourth, if date of hire is taken out (which it won't) why do you assume that things will be favorable to an AWA flight attendant? Things could get worse for you and the ENTIRE INDUSTRY. We are not done with the consolidating. There is a big possibility that we may merge or even acquire or be acquired by another airline. Taking DOH out is playing Russian Rullet. Are you willing to take that risk? Let's say AA buys us....we all know how that ended for TWA now don't we?Do you want that to happen to you? They claimed fairness, ask a former TWA flight attendant if that was fair.

Great post!!! I agree on all accounts except one. I believe to change AFA bylaws at this point would be totally unfair and extremely unlikely. However, it could happen. Let's not convince ourselves one way or the other until we know. And then we need to pull ourselves together and act like professionals no matter what.

Twicebaked said:
Moderator, please do not merge this with another thread.

I am going to try to end this once and for all. AWA flight attendants, if you are reading this LISTEN UP and listen closesly. Tell all you AWA friends to read this and get informed.

First, Nobody is out to steal your job or seniority. US is only trying to SAVE what they have earned accured and deserve. If you have 5 years before the merger, you WILL have 5 years after...not 10 or another number that you DID NOT EARN, ACCRUE OR DESERVE. DOH is the only thing that will protect all of the AFA flight attendants.

Second, a furloughed US flight attendant is NOT going to bump you out of your base. IF (that is a big if) a furloughed US flight attendant accepts a postion at AWA, they are accepting as a NEW HIRE with NEW HIRE SENIORITY. Once we merger, they STILL have that NEW HIRE seniority.

Third, once their US seniority can now hold a spot (remeber not all will accept) I WOULD ASSUME (again my assumption) they would have to return to the EAST coast with their US seniority number OR stay further WEST with their new US (old AWA) seniority. Again, this is my assumption, but I am sure I am not off base.

Fifth,...a 20+ year fence???????? What on earth are you thinking?There is no way on this green earth that the "new" US management will allow that. How can you run an airline with that division? We fly many trips from other bases due to shortages, irregular ops etc... I can just see it now. "I am sorry, you are PHX based you cannot do this Rome trip even though you are right here and we need you. You are on the other side of the fence." I am sure you will have a fit then. Not everyone has 30 years at US and not everyone wants to come to PHX either. Plus, there has to be an OPENING for anyone to switch to ANY base. YOU CANNOT AND WILL NOT GET BUMPED OUT. Can you potentially lose that block that you are used to??,.....yes. When you have an airline with multiple bases, that happens. Ask the people in PHL how they have a block, then lose it, then have it, then lose it. That is how a BIG airline works. Get used to it, as you are about to be bigger than you ever thought possible. And lets say something happens in your life (you meet that special someone..I am being corny now) and you need to change bases, US has 6 for you to chose from...you have what???? One base! Why is that everyone assumes that everybody wants to come to PHX? I am quite sure you have many many flight attendants that want to come to the East coast. Again, you have one base PHX. We have LGA, DCA, BOS, PIT, PHL, and CLT. Maybe they don't appeal to you, but I am sure they do to many others. Don't fence yourselves out. A fence for a few years is suffice.

Lastly, what is going on now is ALREADY causing disstress amongst the 2 groups and if this continues, it will get worse. Considering the above statements, there is NO NEED for this now or in the future.

I think what might ease some minds is to find out how many PSA people are still commuting from the West coast. Does anybody know an exact figure or a rough ball park?

We (US) are not out to get you! We need you, like you need us. Let's make this work. We all pay $39 a month for union dues. The AFA BOD will make it's decision in October. Pending the outcome, we can DISCUSS it later and how to move FORWARD with the decision. You may not like the decision or maybe I won't. We will not be able to change it. Learn to ACCEPT the things you cannot change.

The attitudes on these boards is shameful at best. Yes, I even get mad and say things at times. We used to post on here and discuss aviaiton issues. Now with a few "newbies", all we do is fight and argue. We need to stop as we will be ONE in a matter of weeks.
[post="298549"][/post]​

A question.. If they intergrate the seniority list by DOH, how else would the do it?

If they take DOH away...then the larger percent of the company(US) will be the surviving goup..Right? Why would AWA wanna chance being totally screwed?

barbeetantrums said:
Attempting to end a fight over seniority on an internet bulletin board. Yeah, that should work. Imagine if Gandhi had tried to liberate India by setting up a blog. :lol:
[post="298979"][/post]​

Attempting to end the fight ON THIS FORUM of a few "newbies" who are running scared and are OBVIOUSLY misinformed, probably by the likes of people like you. "The sky is falling, the sky is falling". Let is rest and you and everyone else will be fine.

Latest posts