Glad to see our Gov. cracking down on foreign repair stations

SWAMECH

Veteran
Apr 26, 2005
Nice to see our House committing to these safety concerns in our industry. Just one more step in the right direction on the foreign repair stations doing maint work on A/C...

Nice to see our House committing to these safety concerns in our industry. Just one more step in the right direction on the foreign repair stations doing maint work on A/C...

And it was spearheaded by the TWU and IAM.

SCAMFA didn’t lift a finger to help in its passage.

Reactions: JimmyBop
I hope it does pass. If the domestic overhaul shops are able to meet the requirements, most of the overseas shops probably will have no trouble doing so.

And.... it will take away yet another talking point that doesn't really have any basis other than xenophobic howling on the part of the unions for shock value.

I hope it does pass. If the domestic overhaul shops are able to meet the requirements, most of the overseas shops probably will have no trouble doing so.

And.... it will take away yet another talking point that doesn't really have any basis other than xenophobic howling on the part of the unions for shock value.

You know I might be the most pro union poster left on these boards and yet I can be honest and state when they have an agenda that doesn’t quite hit the mark. But you really do seem to have a hatred for them even when you know for an absolute fact that they have a point.

Maybe you’re xenophobic? The more Aircraft Maintenance work that’s able to be shipped down to El Salvador the more an American Citizen (Maybe a MAGA supporter) can’t find a job in the field he’s gone to school for. The prime example of that is all the work that AMFA can’t capture at SWA.

You ever think that maybe you’re so anti union because you never belonged to one yourself? What is your personal beef based on?

AMFA had ZERO involvement in this Legislation. ZERO!!!!!!

AD9C1724-DF91-4470-A8A7-FEC005C94CE3.jpeg

Funny thing is I know you’re a MAGA guy so you’re one of those people who doesn’t like them flooding across our border but I guess when it comes to Unions you’d make an exception to send USA AMT work down to El Salvador?

Indeed E, I agree. I too hope it passes as well.

Going to be fun watching Justin Madden, formerly of SCAMFA, fighting to stop this in his new role at Airlines4America!
Not that SCAMFA wasn't in bed with the airlines while he was there already.

Reactions: WeAAsles
You ever think that maybe you’re so anti union because you never belonged to one yourself? What is your personal beef based on?
Nah, you're wrong. I worked in a closed shop craft trade before coming to work at AA in the 1980's.

You can make your little MAGA slams if it makes you feel better, but for the record I'm libertarian.

Unions shouldn't need to be asking the the government to tip the scales in their favor.

And yet they do it all the time, whether it's keeping the closed shop provisions of the Railway Labor Act, minimum crew & crew rest regulations, or things like this which are clearly protectionist. Instead of trying to be competitive on workrules, wages, and benefits, unions seem to resort to running to the government to force decisions in their favor.

You seem to think that only mechanics employed by an airline & based in the US are worthwhile of respect.

I don't share that view.

Sure, I'd prefer to see more work here in the US. I'm all-in with Buy American as a policy where tax dollars are concerned... But we're not talking about tax dollars. We're talking about private industry. If work can be done accurately and safely by competent people at a fair price, where it takes place shouldn't be a limiting factor. How much it costs and how long it takes (which is a cost) should be the only differentiator.

And companies lobby and spend more on politicians all the time to pass laws etc in favor of their bottom line and not in favor of workers

Nah, you're wrong. I worked in a closed shop craft trade before coming to work at AA in the 1980's.

You can make your little MAGA slams if it makes you feel better, but for the record I'm libertarian.

Unions shouldn't need to be asking the the government to tip the scales in their favor.

And yet they do it all the time, whether it's keeping the closed shop provisions of the Railway Labor Act, minimum crew & crew rest regulations, or things like this which are clearly protectionist. Instead of trying to be competitive on workrules, wages, and benefits, unions seem to resort to running to the government to force decisions in their favor.

You seem to think that only mechanics employed by an airline & based in the US are worthwhile of respect.

I don't share that view.

Sure, I'd prefer to see more work here in the US. I'm all-in with Buy American as a policy where tax dollars are concerned... But we're not talking about tax dollars. We're talking about private industry. If work can be done accurately and safely by competent people at a fair price, where it takes place shouldn't be a limiting factor. How much it costs and how long it takes (which is a cost) should be the only differentiator.

Airlines shouldn’t need to be asking the Government to tip the scales in their favor, but they do it all the time. The Railway Labor Act that essentially outlaws the right to strike making Airline Negotiations last years. AMFA was locked in Negotiations for 7 whole years.

OMG you really don’t agree with the right of a Human being to get minimum rest? Wow.

Oh, I'm sure that airlines would willingly part with the RLA. It's the unions that won't step on that third rail.

Here's a challenge for you: Give one example where A4A or ATA has ever pushed a position that directly affected wages, benefits, or where work could be done. Just one. And don't try something that an individual airline has done. I'd think it should be easy with your Masters of Google Searching degree.....

It's painfully obvious from your posts today you have no clue what A4A really does. The majority of what they do is to create standards used across carriers e.g. safety standards, data exchange standards, passenger and cargo handling procedures/standards.

Sure, A4A and individual airlines lobby Congress, but it's almost always in response to things like a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking being issued by FAA/DOT or legislation that tries to re-regulate a deregulated industry under the guise of consumer protection.

Furthermore.... A4A will only lobby on a particular issue if every member airline agrees on a position. Getting every airline to agree on something is a rare occurrence historically.

Reactions: SWAMECH
Oh, I'm sure that airlines would willingly part with the RLA. It's the unions that won't step on that third rail.

Here's a challenge for you: Give one example where A4A or ATA has ever pushed a position that directly affected wages, benefits, or where work could be done. Just one. And don't try something that an individual airline has done. I'd think it should be easy with your Masters of Google Searching degree.....

It's painfully obvious from your posts today you have no clue what A4A really does. The majority of what they do is to create standards used across carriers e.g. safety standards, data exchange standards, passenger and cargo handling procedures/standards.

Sure, A4A and individual airlines lobby Congress, but it's almost always in response to things like a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking being issued by FAA/DOT or legislation that tries to re-regulate a deregulated industry under the guise of consumer protection.

Furthermore.... A4A will only lobby on a particular issue if every member airline agrees on a position. Getting every airline to agree on something is a rare occurrence historically.

Why should I argue with you. You’ve never had a malleable mind anyway when it comes to your overall philosophy. I just pointed out to you that Airlines themselves have a Union and just like you accuse me of doing you defend the nature of the Union for the service of the Company. At least unlike you I see and understand the value of any group including the Company belonging to a Union. I’m glad the Company has a lobbying arm just like I do.

So...... I guess that means you can't find an example to try and back up your false equivalency on company lobbying vs. union lobbying?

Why should I argue with you.

I agree. Because you failed once you resorted to hyperbole & making it about me vs. the topic.