Glenn Tilton's Eye-on-ua Message

ZMAN777

Advanced
Aug 23, 2002
www.usaviation.com
I'm posting this for the benefit of both our UAL employees and those that follow UAL. This is Glen Tilton's "Eye-On-UA" message of 29 August. I think everyone will admit that this guy is focused and has brought a renewed sense of enthusiasm and excitement back to UAL. Call it esprit de corps or whatever you choose, bottom line this airline is operating extremely well and those of us who work the line or elsewhere know that it will even get better. Enjoy.

Cheers,

Z B)

EYE-ON-UA
August 29, 2003

Hi this is Glenn, and it's Friday, August 29. I’m calling you from Tokyo where we just completed a very successful visit to Asia, including a well-attended press conference to introduce our new marketing alliance with Air China, followed by a celebratory banquet.

Today I met with our counterpart at ANA, President Ohashi, and briefed the press on our progress since my last visit to Tokyo nearly eight months ago.
And then I'm going to have the opportunity to spend some time with our Tokyo employees.

Before heading back to the U.S., I wanted to give you a sense of what’s been going on out here as well as a feeling for some of the important changes that I’ve witnessed during my travels in Asia this week.

There was a great appreciation for United's commitment to the region, particularly after the devastating effects of the SARS epidemic and the severe, prolonged downturn in the local economies throughout Asia.

On Tuesday, I was in Hong Kong, meeting with business leaders and helping to launch a new, month-long promotion -- and a very exciting one -- to drive traffic to Hong Kong in cooperation with the Hong Kong Tourism Board. I know that many of you have already read about our declaration of October as Hong Kong Month in NewsReal.

We've had a tremendous response to our announcement, with more than 50 members of the press in attendance, and great press coverage in Hong Kong and, indeed, all over the world. But certainly much more important than the number of reporters that were there, was the extent to which so many in Hong Kong, Beijing and Tokyo are now embracing the United story and our work to transform the company and return to the United that they all remember.

We’re going to be doing a lot more of this in the months ahead -- that is, reintroducing our company into specific marketplaces in creative ways and in very exciting ways -- and certainly in ways that make the most sense locally.

We’re going to continue to surprise people. And while we'll be mindful of our financial circumstances and the issues related to our Chapter 11 case, we're not going to be defensive. We're going to behave like an airline that has moved past some significant financial hurdles, move beyond limitations that we had to put on ourselves – and we're going to behave like a company that is in this for the long haul and is ready to compete.

Our code-share announcement in Beijing yesterday -- during a press conference that was attended by about 60 global news organizations -– provided another opportunity to reinforce what sets United apart -– in this case, the global route network that is our greatest asset. One of the main reasons that Air China chose to partner with us is because of our incomparable global route network -- something that has been an enormous attraction to the Star Alliance partners as well.

This really is a validation of our strategy -- to maintain the crown jewels of our operation while working aggressively to set a cost platform that gives us the right to optimize them. To a significant extent, the strong reception that we have received in Asia this week is due to the hard work of all the people on the ground here, particularly Sidney Kwok, our country manager in China, and Henry Ma, our country manager in Hong Kong.

As a result, we are today well positioned to capitalize on the recovery that is now well under way in Asia. Throughout this trip, I’ve seen full flights, busy airports, crowded hotels and a new sense of energy and enthusiasm. People are out there doing business again. Our fall bookings to the region are improving and, as we bring capacity back, our local reservations agents are getting busier. So, while we have made great progress, there is still a lot of hard work to do.

What we’ve done is important and is significant, but it's really only getting us back in the game. Now, we need to keep our energy high, we need to keep our enthusiasm regenerated, stay focused and show that we are in this game to win. Keep up the great work and I'll look forward to speaking with you again soon when I return to the United States.

This guy definitely has his act together. All I can say is that when this thousnad pound gorilla fully awakens (ie: emerges from CH11), all of our critics will be silenced. Those that are planning on our demise or fragmentation or expext us to be a shadow of our former selves, better have a plan "B" for their own good!

UNITED WILL STAND!

It does appear that there is big difference between Glen Tilton and the CEO at some other airlines. That difference being that he frequently puts out very positive and cautious words to the employees. Yes, the employees have taken a number of hits
and there is a ways to go; but, without the support of the employees, no CEO can make it work. Human nature wants to hear those words of support. It appears to me that Glen Tilton is spending a lot more time on employee support than a
number of other CEOs. I think that is very good.

What's best about the new forum protocol is not having to answer so many questions, which provides more time for in-tune analyticity.

Meanwhile, Saturday's Denver Post column titled "Tilton's report card mixed - CEO at United still faces long road," the newspaper echoed comments I previously made about the company's management team being stuck in a quagmire of mud.

How can it be that a couple of months after I broke this news at USaviation.com, some airline consultants are now making the same type of statements I previously made? Did I have ESP or could have received information from "inside sources"? How can that be?

Regardless, the Post's comments below are interesting and provide a comparison between US Airways and United. Specifically, Denver Post Business Writer Greg Griffin wrote:

"He's been there for a year. Where's the plan? Where's the vision? Where's the fire?" asked Mike Boyd, an Evergreen-based aviation-industry consultant. "He needs to articulate a strategic vision for what United is going to be in the airline industry. Time is wasting."

Boyd said US Airways under CEO David Siegel quickly put a reorganization plan together that laid out specifics and a clear direction for the carrier. United, by contrast, has achieved only a few milestones during nearly nine months in bankruptcy, Boyd and others said.

"After a year, you knew what Siegel could accomplish at US Airways," said Robert Mann, president of airline consulting firm R.W. Mann & Co. "There are still huge issues at United. The albatross is still circling."

One Wall Street analyst called Tilton the Rodney Dangerfield of the airline business because he can't seem to earn respect among the industry's insiders.

Also noteworthy, I believe in September US Airways will take custody of some of United's gates in San Francisco and Seattle and there is additional reason to believe that unless Pittsburgh government officials meet US Airways' demands, the Arlington-based carrier could move its assets westward.

Respectfully,

Chip

In response to Chips report that Us Air is taking Uniteds gates in Sea.This is not true.I work In Seattle for United and the fact of the matter is United operates out of the north Satelite as does Alaska Airlines.United used to hold a lease on the entire north satelite. In 2001 the lease expired.The Port of Seattle has decided that in the future it will not lease out an entire satelite.they will lease out gates with the provision that a gate is yours to keep if you can guarantee 900 passangers per day per gate....Chip yes UsAir is also moving to the terminal sometime soon but only because it will make it easier for connecting passengers ...Please get your facts Staight....

While it is true that CEO Tilton was referred to as the "Rodney Dangerfield" of the airline industry, it wasn't because he couldn't get any respect. It was because at the Hong Kong Tourism Board dinner someone accidentally broke wind. This prompted Mr. Tilton to respond with, "Hey, what's the matter. Did somebody step on a duck." :lol:

I don't say much around here. Don't really give a rats ass about United or USAir though I am "invested" (work for) United. But this Chip guy is really ill. I mean to see someone so ate up with this stuff is scarey...and supposedly he flies now and then! Do you have family or friends? Maybe you are "in the know" and all your statements will come to be. Will that somehow make you feel better? I mean really..who cares? The aviation industry is NOT the center of the world. If this is your "reason to live", I am sorry for you.

737nCH11 Posted on Sep 1 2003, 08:02 PM
While it is true that CEO Tilton was referred to as the "Rodney Dangerfield" of the airline industry, it wasn't because he couldn't get any respect. It was because at the Hong Kong Tourism Board dinner someone accidentally broke wind. This prompted Mr. Tilton to respond with, "Hey, what's the matter. Did somebody step on a duck."

LOL, thanks for the giggle

ACrazy8,

That's just my feeble attempt at humor. I honestly wish nothing but the best for you guys. Keep your chin up. :up: