Global Air Travel not expected to recover until 2024

Although they did put it off another year, I am in the thoughts of a bit sooner as long as a vaccine is found soon. Global Travel I can understand, but, I am also thinking the domestic will come back sooner.

A quote from Cranky Flyer article:
The nascent recovery of US carriers stalled in late June, as demand plateaued owing to a surge of COVID-19 cases. A Goldman Sachs analysis presented by Airlines4America (A4A) in July, projects passenger volume in 2020 free-falling 56% below 2019, and it isn’t forecast to recover to 2019 levels until 2023.

Average capacity in available seat miles (ASMs) as of early July was down 70% year on year, with traffic depressed by 80% in revenue seat miles (RPMs). Network planning departments are under siege by the virus as route networks pruned dramatically. And with the dynamic daily, almost daily changes in the COVID-19 story, what is true today, often is not tomorrow.

All airlines have downsized their hubs, though few have permanently closed them outright. For example, American Airlines (AA) has kept its Los Angeles (LAX) hub intact for now. However, with Seattle (SEA) picking up some of the Asian routes and Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) becoming the airline’s major Asian hub, LAX’s international long-haul status for the airline is over. END OF CF QUOTE.

With the large Asian population in the LAX basin, I'm surprised that LAX is being "de-hubbed" as far as Asian flights are concerned. Has AA simply decided there's not enough LAX to Asia business to justify competing for it? Lord knows, I almost didn't get to go on my New Zealand cruise because the 1-flight/day LAX-AKL kept filling up and bumping non-revs off the flight. I ended up flying to AKL 5 days before the start of my cruise. (Which means that thanks to the International date line I actually left LAX 6 days before, arrived in AKL 5 days early. Upside: Auckland is a great city to visit and explore!)

The nascent recovery of US carriers stalled in late June, as demand plateaued owing to a surge of COVID-19 cases. A Goldman Sachs analysis presented by Airlines4America (A4A) in July, projects passenger volume in 2020 free-falling 56% below 2019, and it isn’t forecast to recover to 2019 levels until 2023.

Average capacity in available seat miles (ASMs) as of early July was down 70% year on year, with traffic depressed by 80% in revenue seat miles (RPMs). Network planning departments are under siege by the virus as route networks pruned dramatically. And with the dynamic daily, almost daily changes in the COVID-19 story, what is true today, often is not tomorrow.

All airlines have downsized their hubs, though few have permanently closed them outright. For example, American Airlines (AA) has kept its Los Angeles (LAX) hub intact for now. However, with Seattle (SEA) picking up some of the Asian routes and Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) becoming the airline’s major Asian hub, LAX’s international long-haul status for the airline is over. END OF CF QUOTE.

With the large Asian population in the LAX basin, I'm surprised that LAX is being "de-hubbed" as far as Asian flights are concerned. Has AA simply decided there's not enough LAX to Asia business to justify competing for it? Lord knows, I almost didn't get to go on my New Zealand cruise because the 1-flight/day LAX-AKL kept filling up and bumping non-revs off the flight. I ended up flying to AKL 5 days before the start of my cruise. (Which means that thanks to the International date line I actually left LAX 6 days before, arrived in AKL 5 days early. Upside: Auckland is a great city to visit and explore!)

"intact for now" :eek:

New Zealand is on my Bucket List!

LAX is an expensive airport to operate from, higher fees.
SEA is not plus the new code share with AS has much to do with this.
So this is about revenue improvements by lower cost

I think what you will see if the vaccine happens and shows great promise these international cities will lift many restrictions once they see how much it hurts their economies with no tourism.
The biggest hurdle is going to be to bring back business travel which I think will be the most difficult to recover for many reasons

Don't forget about Chicago O'Hare! Cook(Crook) County taxes among the highest in the United States!
Again, just another over regulated and overtaxed Democrat ran cesspool just like LA, just like NYC.

Someone has to pay for Lori Lightfoot's incompetence.

Meanwhile the impoverished blacks are killing each other at record rates in Chicago but let's not talk about that because there is no white cop involved.

Again, just another over regulated and overtaxed Democrat ran cesspool just like LA, just like NYC.

Someone has to pay for Lori Lightfoot's incompetence.

Meanwhile the impoverished blacks are killing each other at record rates in Chicago but let's not talk about that because there is no white cop involved.
i will take chicago over tulsa every day of the week and twice on sunday thank you you can have tulsa

i will take chicago over tulsa every day of the week and twice on sunday thank you you can have tulsa
You sure about that?

Have you ever actually been to Chicago and Tulsa or are you just running your mouth?

I have lived in both.

Last edited:
With the large Asian population in the LAX basin, I'm surprised that LAX is being "de-hubbed" as far as Asian flights are concerned. Has AA simply decided there's not enough LAX to Asia business to justify competing for it?

Right now, it probably doesn't make sense as a US carrier to try and compete at LAX. There's too many Asian carriers serving it.

For the same money, who would choose AA with cheap amenities and crew members that only speak English vs. one of the Asian airlines who actually understand what onboard service is all about and are likely to have an entire crew of tri-lingual crew members?