Global warming isolates Canadians in far north

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas...reut/index.html

Another instance of global climate change affecting the Arctic:

TORONTO, Ontario (Reuters) -- Aboriginal communities in Ontario's far north are becoming increasingly isolated as rising temperatures melt their winter route to the outside world and impede their access to supplies.

"The ice doesn't have its solid blue color anymore," said Stan Beardy, the grand chief of Nishnawbe Aski Nation, which represents Ontario's remote First Nations. "It's more like Styrofoam now, really brittle."

"With the toxic waste moving north, and global warming, we don't have that solid ice anymore, and that's why we have problems with winter roads when it's mild."

The 34 First Nations reservations, scattered in boreal forest across northern Ontario, are accessible only by plane for much of the year.

During the coldest months between January and March, "winter roads" are cleared on the frozen network of rivers and lakes to let trucks deliver bulk supplies like fuel and building materials.

But average temperatures have risen during the past decade, weakening the ice and shrinking the bulk-shipping season by several weeks, aboriginals say....

The really sad part about all this is that the scientists who are arguing that global warming is not real may or may not be right. The catch is, if they are wrong (which I believe they are) it’s not like we get a ‘do over’. Once we get to the point that the effects of global warming are irrefutable, it will be too late to reverse the trend. We are gambling with our future. I would much rather we error on the side of caution and starting doing all we can to reduce our environmental foot print than to say "nah, I think they are wrong" and drive away in our 10MPG Suburban with only 1 person in it.

The really sad part about all this is that the scientists who are arguing that global warming is not real may or may not be right. The catch is, if they are wrong (which I believe they are) it’s not like we get a ‘do over’. Once we get to the point that the effects of global warming are irrefutable, it will be too late to reverse the trend. We are gambling with our future. I would much rather we error on the side of caution and starting doing all we can to reduce our environmental foot print than to say "nah, I think they are wrong" and drive away in our 10MPG Suburban with only 1 person in it.

I think most scientists believe that global warming is a fact; but some scientists do not believe that global warming is due to increased fossil fuels.

They do have a point... in essence, many of them argue that we have only kept accurate temperature records for about 200 or so years. This coincides with the Industrial Revolution that began in the late 18th century. In other words, they suggest that we do not know if the climate was changing prior to the industrial revolution. Thus, they are not sure the climate is changing due to increased fossil fuels.

In fact, the EPA still hasn't completely endorsed the idea of fossil fuels increasing the global temperature. The EPA always uses phrases like, "greenhouse gases are likely influencing the Earth's climate."

I, however, agree with Garfield: 'Better safe than sorry'. I think it is well documented that greenhouse gases are not great for our health; thus, even if they are wrong about global warming, at least we would reduce the fossil fuels, thereby increasing our chances for cleaner lungs.

And having lived in the L.A. area years ago, I would have liked to look out my window and see the San Bernardino Mountains once in a while; but unfortunately, the smog was always in the way.

So there are a few who are hypocrites, it does nothing to refute the possibility that we are our own worst enemy. Most of us try and practice what we preach as best as we can. I drive only when I have to, keep the car tunes up. Lights are off when not in use and all have been switched to florescence. I have planted trees in the front and back yard. New A/C was installed 2 years ago along with added insulation in the attic and solar screens on the east/west windows.

IMO, it is not just the fossil fuels that we use. It is the concreting over of all the land, clear cutting of old growth forests, contamination of the oceans, over population and the list goes on. There are too many people on this little rock of ours and we are all making an impact.

So there are a few who are hypocrites, it does nothing to refute the possibility that we are our own worst enemy. Most of us try and practice what we preach as best as we can.

I think saying most is a bit of a stretch, our nation emits more greenhouse gases than anybody, ya know gotta keep up with them Jones's.

I drive only when I have to, keep the car tunes up. Lights are off when not in use and all have been switched to florescence. I have planted trees in the front and back yard. New A/C was installed 2 years ago along with added insulation in the attic and solar screens on the east/west windows.

Thats a start. :up:

IMO, it is not just the fossil fuels that we use. It is the concreting over of all the land, clear cutting of old growth forests, contamination of the oceans, over population and the list goes on. There are too many people on this little rock of ours and we are all making an impact.

The population explosion is'nt expected to subside, in fact much research says the opposite. However if those peace loving radicals get there way we may indeed see a sharp decline in world population.

Sorry about the confusion. When I wrote "most of us" I was referring to those of us who profess to be 'green' not the public in general.

I do agree that 'most' in terms of people in general do tend to waste way too much.

Who knows, maybe they are doing us a favor lol. I wish they would target all the SUV's/trucks with one person in them. That would make my commute to work much more enjoyable.

IMO, it is not just the fossil fuels that we use. It is the ... over population and the list goes on. There are too many people on this little rock of ours and we are all making an impact.

So we are all in agreement; Eugenics is the only way to survive the impending global doom.

We can implement forced sterilization by year 2008 and involuntary euthanasia by 2012. Finally, by 2016 (the year Gore predicts a major catastrophe) we can use our knowledge of reprogenetics and only bear children with 'hand-picked' genetic characteristics that are known to be predisposed to social and environmental awareness.

Disclaimer: The views expressed in the statement above are solely those of the Nazi Party and do not reflect any official position of 'Gilding the Lily'.

It all depends on who you read or listen to. I've read articles on both sides of argument. The ones that say global warming is not human caused seem the most credible to me.

I know that it is warmer, but I believe that this is just a cycle we are going through. Remember when the Ice Age was over. The Earth warmed up without humans doing anything. If you need to blame the warm temps on something, how about blaming the sun?

And guess what, If you guys don't see it my way I'm gonna cut and paste articles till you do.(just kidding) :lol:

Not sure how old you are but have you ever seent e movie "Logans Run"?
I remember that movie........how about Soylent Green?

I think I have heard of that one but never saw it.

I agree that some of the arguments against warming are quite plausible. I refer back to my original comment that we are playing a what if game. If they are right and we take drastic measures, we will all at the very least breath a bit easier and reduce our dependence on fossil fuels. If they are wrong, we may be able to reverse the trend before it is too late.

I they are wrong and we do nothing because we "think" they may be wrong, we are screwed and we may be condemning humanity and all life on earth to a early grave. I would think that if there is a god, it would look poorly on that out come.

There is no reset button on this game. We get one shot at the pot of gold, screw it up and we are toast.

Who's to say if man contributes to global warming. Maybe he does. The crap we spew from the tailpipes of our autos certainly doesn't HELP the atmosphere. I consider myself "accidently green"...I drive a hybrid, I ride my bike for short errands (weather permitting). I try to save what I can because I have a kid who will be here after I am gone, and I'd like to leave her a little something. But it seems to me that while technology exists to make transportation considerably less polluting, we make laws that exempt certain vehicles because of their popularity...witness the SUV and their exemption from fuel economy and emissions standards. I wonder if the mom in the SUV that was purchased because they "cared" for the safety of their kid, and who is idling for half an hour...burning precious oil and spewing emissions into the air while waiting for their precious cargo to get out of school, ever thinks about how much oil her kid will have when they are adults...or if they will need to wear gasmasks because of the pollution in the air.

It all depends on who you read or listen to. I've read articles on both sides of argument. The ones that say global warming is not human caused seem the most credible to me.

I know that it is warmer, but I believe that this is just a cycle we are going through. Remember when the Ice Age was over. The Earth warmed up without humans doing anything. If you need to blame the warm temps on something, how about blaming the sun?

And guess what, If you guys don't see it my way I'm gonna cut and paste articles till you do.(just kidding) :lol:
I remember that movie........how about Soylent Green?

There is no doubt we (planet earth) cycle thru different phases, solar flares, earth axis transition, etc... its been that way since the 'Big Bang' (creation). the tropics used to be capped with ice its a proven scientific fact but I also believe we are contributing to the changes we see occurring.

It might well be minute what we throw into the mix but this planet is dying all the same, We should do our best to be good stewards and leave it a better place than we found it.

What makes you think this way?

The second Law of Thermodynamics is one basis, but I also study the Word of GOD and it seems to confirm much of what science adheres to, at least in my viewpoint. all things will pass away in its due time.