Gnv And Tlh Upgraded To Rjs

US AIRWAYS TO INTRODUCE ALL-REGIONAL JET SERVICE IN GAINESVILLE AND TALLAHASSEE
ARLINGTON, Va., January 12, 2004 -- US Airways will introduce all-regional jet service in Gainesville and Tallahassee, Fla., on March 7, 2004, offering enhanced comfort and convenience for customers.

From Gainesville, US Airways Express will replace the three daily nonstop roundtrip turboprop flights to Charlotte, N.C., with 50-seat Canadair Regional Jet flights. US Airways Express carrier Mesa Airlines will operate the new service.

In Tallahassee, US Airways will augment once-daily regional jet service to Charlotte by replacing two daily turboprop departures with 50-seat Canadair Regional Jet flights, also operated by Mesa Airlines.

"The new regional jet service will bring not only increased daily capacity to both these communities, but also improved levels of comfort and shorter flight times," said Daniel M. McDonald, US Airways vice president of planning and scheduling.

Passengers flying on US Airways Express’ Canadair Regional Jets travel comfortably in a quiet cabin equipped with large overhead storage bins, standup headroom, and reclining leather seats. Every seat is adjacent to either an aisle or a window. This aircraft also provides restroom facilities. The Canadair Regional Jet has a cruising speed of over 500 miles per hour with a range of more than 1,000 miles, and can cruise at altitudes above 35,000 feet, providing US Airways Express long range regional jet capability.

US Airways Express’ wholly-owned subsidiaries and affiliate carriers currently operate more than 2,000 flights daily, serving 143 destinations in the U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean.

For additional information on fares and schedules, visit US Airways online at usairways.com, or call US Airways Reservations at 1-800-428-4322.

Reporters needing additional information should contact US Airways Corporate Affairs at (703) 872-5100.

So let's see. These were operated by Dash-8-300's, so there's no increase in capacity. The RJ's cost *more* to operate. And, the Dash-8-300's could actually carry 50 pax. 50 pax on an RJ means bags are getting left behind.

So the only reason this makes sense is if they think that they'll get significantly more pax to fly on an RJ and/or if they think yields will improve significantly. Does anyone know what the loads are like on these flights right now?

Also, one other thing. Could anyone tell me where else the Dash-8-300's are operated. It's the only type in the fleet I haven't flown on, and I'd like to do it before they're all retired.

ringmaruf said:
So let's see. These were operated by Dash-8-300's, so there's no increase in capacity. The RJ's cost *more* to operate. And, the Dash-8-300's could actually carry 50 pax. 50 pax on an RJ means bags are getting left behind.

So the only reason this makes sense is if they think that they'll get significantly more pax to fly on an RJ and/or if they think yields will improve significantly. Does anyone know what the loads are like on these flights right now?

Also, one other thing. Could anyone tell me where else the Dash-8-300's are operated. It's the only type in the fleet I haven't flown on, and I'd like to do it before they're all retired.
I've never heard of a CRJ leaving bags - ERJs yes, CRJs no.

And, GNV is 3 Dash 8 -100s or -200s.

The third TLH flight is a 300Q. But, again we're talking CRJs.

Finally, as a passenger, I am usually going to choose the RJ over the turboprop.

So, if you're comparing a DL CRJ to a US CRJ, a passenger will call it a toss-up. A DL CRJ versus a Dash 8 will usually go to the CRJ.

Soooo, after 10 years of turboprops and running many of its business customers away, UAIR is going back into TLH and GNV with replacement jets? I think the market share has already been ceded to Delta...about 10 years ago.

ITRADE said:

Finally, as a passenger, I am usually going to choose the RJ over the turboprop.
Sorry, my bad. I posted from memory, and, sometime in the last few months when I last checked, GNV had at least some -300's, and TLH was 2x -300 and 1x CRJ.

I agree, most pax would prefer a RJ over a prop, whether or not it was a nice, new, modern, *quiet* prop. I just question whether there are enough of them to offset the increased operating costs of the RJ.

Since GNV is now getting the 37-seat Dash's, then I'm all for this move and the increase in capacity. But there's no increase in capacity here from the -300. I ask again, does anyone know how the loads on these flights are/were with the -300?

What really stinks about the whole thing is that USAirways Group, is giving additional flying to a contractor. Out is PI and in is Mesa. ITrade, durring full flights on the CRJ out of our station, we often leave bags behind. It is not as restrictive as the ERJ but it does have its restrictions.

One of the CRJ issues can be carrying fuel to an alternate (I have seen freight, but not pax or bags bumped CLT-YYZ), but I have seen more problems on CLT-CRW, the short leg plus a heavy fuel load left the aircraft with a max landing weight issue.

Thanks for bringing up the volunteer issue Shirley. That is the first option. I believe it goes something like COMAT, then A/F, then Air Express, then PDQ, then bags (if not enough volunteers), then mail, then passengers for the order in which stuff gets bumped. When I read stations that leave off carryons, I can't believe my eyes. Would a station actually leave off a gate checked carryon in favor of a checked bag? That is inane.

N628AU said:
Would a station actually leave off a gate checked carryon in favor of a checked bag? That is inane.
We've had to leave off gate checked bags AND checked before on the Beech. Full load 19 pax, 0 checked bags, 5 or 6 carryons max. Well, if 8 or 9 people have rollerboards, what do ya do? All little bags under the seat, as many rollerboards in the front closet as you can and the rest have the option of staying behind with their bag or getting it on the next flight. The one time I remember this happening, luckily only 4 or 5 had the rollerboards and the rest had carryon bags that fit under the seat or inside, otherwise they would have been left. With the weight changes, the smaller planes cant do close to what they could in the past.

N628AU said:
Would a station actually leave off a gate checked carryon in favor of a checked bag? That is inane.
It can and sometimes does happen.

I had a guy telling me my computer bag was too big for the overhead of a -8 (100, I think). Having flown the Dash about a zillion times, I knew the bag would fit, and got the station manager involved (small station) over it.

Sure enough, they ended up leaving gate-checked bags.

If the aircraft can't handle a full load of pax and bags, I consider it incumbent upon the airline to size inventory on that flight accordingly. I don't blame the airlines for the problem (blame the FAA and the aircraft manufacturers), but it's insane to leave any bags behind, much less the gate-checked variety.

I noticed my flight out of TLH changed to an ERJ after I had booked it in November. Delta has owned TLH with non-stop mainline and comair flights to ATL, and Comair service to DFW, MIA, and FLL. Then AirTran came aboard and lowered prices with non-stops to ATL and TPA.

US would always have the Dash-8 100s running to CLT from here and then recently they went to the 300s. But everytime I was on one of the 100s it would always be oversold. Another possible reason for the switch is the flight on a Dash is about 2 hours, which is getting rather close to the max a passanger would want to be a on a turboprop.

If i'm correct Delta still serves GNV with turbotrops with the ATR.

ITRADE said:

So, if you're comparing a DL CRJ to a US CRJ, a passenger will call it a toss-up. A DL CRJ versus a Dash 8 will usually go to the CRJ.
GNV gets DHC8-300's, how often I don't know, but they do get 300 service.

As far as PAX going to Delta to fly on a CRJ, it really doesn't matter because we fly those aircraft with 50 passengers so often that we couldn't take those extra people if we wanted. Delta still flys turboprops into GNV and has mainline service to TLH. So realistically, we are not offering much more seats, if any, swapping a 50 seater for a 50 seater. We aren't going to stimulate demand in TLH because people would much rather ride a mainline aircraft over a small RJ, and this whole argument over "props vs RJ" has always been so overblown because we carry comparable load factors to the RJ's and in some markets we leave pax behind every time because we are always sold over 50.

That being said, an RJ can do THL and GNV cheaper than a DHC8-300, so from a profit standpoint this one makes sense.

One reason to go RJ is many of the smaller cities are offering incentives for jet service. I saw an article in a Florida newspaper lately stating how GNV was actively searching for any jet service. Look at Air Tran when they went into TLH, FNT and PNS the community and/or government gave them cash incintives just to bring in the jets, it paid their rent for the first few years. About time we took advantage of some of the kickbacks floating around out there.

I can understand the B1900 issue, the increase in the past year of bag and passenger weights has something to do with that. And it is up to the airline to properly manage inventory in that case, maybe cap the flight at 17 passengers.

The thing that should never happen, is a checked bag leave the station and a gate checked bag get left behind. That is inexcusable.