going nowhere fast

acmech

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
So where are the laid off mechanics supposed to go if no one is hiring? The airlines as a collective whole have laid off thousands some of which will never return to the industry. That is the airlines'' loss and another industry''s gain if they are willing to take on the A&Ps. They are highly skilled and their skills are transferable to other jobs.
I finally found new employment in a GSE shop at half the pay from my airline mechanic job that I had until just after 9/11. I am not happy with it, so I will continue the job search, but at least I have something to pay some of the bills. [:((]

Im almost sure we are still hiring at WN. I know we have a few guys on probation here at BWI. Not to mention that MDW has a lot of open spots for the hangar. Go to www.southwest.com and click your way to careers...good luck guys.

The other day one of these human resources chicks called. In describing work I had done for the airlines as this girl did not know what a plane was, I had to describe the term Preventative Maintenance, She did not know what that had meant, and she was interviewing me for a maintenance job at her company.

My description went something like this: Do you change the oil, or have someone do it, in your car every 3 monthes or 3 thousand miles? Her answer was yes. Then I said to her, well good, that is called preventative maintenance.

I know now that this whole country is headed for trouble when these are the type of HR folks we are all dealing with in the job search. Just can't get a good education for a college degree anymore and these HR kids are leading the way on that.
9.gif