goobers!

Aug 20, 2002
Valhalla
www.usaviation.com
ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- The return of peanuts to the snack menu at Northwest Airlines this month has prompted a spasm of protests from travelers with allergies.
Just weeks after Northwest began handing out peanuts as flight snacks, customers have raised allergy concerns.

The change comes four months after Northwest merged with Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines and in the midst of a national salmonella outbreak involving Peanut Corporation of America. Georgia, where the company has a plant, is the top peanut-producing state in the country.

Northwest began handing out the goobers as snacks on February 1, as Delta has been doing for years.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says more than 3 million Americans are allergic to peanuts or tree nuts, while nearly 7 million are allergic to seafood. Combined, food allergies cause 30,000 cases of anaphylaxis, 2,000 hospitalizations and 150 deaths annually.

Now I'm on the back nine of life, but I don't remember so many allergic people when I was a kid. Peanuts, seafood, milk -- how did we survive??

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- The return of peanuts to the snack menu at Northwest Airlines this month has prompted a spasm of protests from travelers with allergies.
Just weeks after Northwest began handing out peanuts as flight snacks, customers have raised allergy concerns.

The change comes four months after Northwest merged with Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines and in the midst of a national salmonella outbreak involving Peanut Corporation of America. Georgia, where the company has a plant, is the top peanut-producing state in the country.

Northwest began handing out the goobers as snacks on February 1, as Delta has been doing for years.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says more than 3 million Americans are allergic to peanuts or tree nuts, while nearly 7 million are allergic to seafood. Combined, food allergies cause 30,000 cases of anaphylaxis, 2,000 hospitalizations and 150 deaths annually.

Now I'm on the back nine of life, but I don't remember so many allergic people when I was a kid. Peanuts, seafood, milk -- how did we survive??

I agree....I don't remember all of these allergies (esp. peanut) even 10 years ago!
I really think it would be a smarter business decision for Delta to go back to pretzels, though. Just to avoid this kind of thing...also, it would seem that pretzels (or some sort of peanut-less snack mix) would be more cost efficient.
Dapoes...you and the NoWay gang are usually on the inside of this kind of stuff...any plans to change the snack?

peanut allergies can be very serious, and I totally understand the need for concern. however...even when they took peanuts off when it was a complimentary snack, it did not or does not stop passengers from bringing on board their own peanut products..

personally just think its best to leave those products off the aircraft, but since they are aligning service, the best thing they can do is simply make people aware.. it will be on board by a notice...so when customers are planning their itinerary.. they can make a decision prior to purchase.

I agree....I don't remember all of these allergies (esp. peanut) even 10 years ago!
I remember reading somewhere that the actual roasting of peanuts causes them to be more allergenic rather than just boiling peanuts..

sometimes I wonder about all these disinfectants, hand sanitizers and products to make everything nearly sterile that are available more so now than in the past and if it is actually contributing to these issues..?

sometimes its probably just a good thing to let kids just go out play in the yard and roll in the dirt.

Dapoes...you and the NoWay gang are usually on the inside of this kind of stuff...any plans to change the snack?
:blink: How would I know?

I dont know what to think about it actually. One of my good friends has a peanut allergy and supposedly its prevalent in her family for generations. I think they should just leave them off. Its a lawsuit waiting in the wings in my opinion.

supposedly its prevalent in her family for generations.
that may be true and actually there may be a genetic link...but over-all if genetics played a large part in who has these types of allergies and who does not..the number of those with that allergy would basically remain at the same levels but with a few minor changes from generation to generation..however the cases have actually grown exponentially with in the last decade regarding children, and parents without any history at all..and.. as noticed by the other posters...to me it says that something else may be causing these allergies..

its interesting in a way because I was actually reading an article about this subject last night.. a parent said that no one in her family(both parents sides) at all even have a food allergy however their child does...but then of course as we become knowledgeable of issues today, maybe these allergies have been prevalent all along and simply more are just aware...

:blink: How would I know?

I dont know what to think about it actually. One of my good friends has a peanut allergy and supposedly its prevalent in her family for generations. I think they should just leave them off. Its a lawsuit waiting in the wings in my opinion.

Dapoes...we agree on something!! ;)
Actually, I'm sure you are a good f/a, trying to do your best, as do I...I guess we just see things differently about getting things in writing. And despite what you may think, I'm not a rabid AFA supporter (I have questions about some of their methodolgy/tactics) but I just feel we need a contract with so many f/a's and a mgt team that is not the "old Delta" that I grew up with.

BTW, we've all been dissed (usaviation bloggers) on the Facebook/NO WAY AFA site. (Well, maybe not you).
But we've basically been described (pro contract peeps) as bitter and irrelevant. Oh yeah, and "conspiracy theorists."
What's really interesting is the gentleman who is one of the "officers" of the group lists no name-calling in the rules yet, he is the biggest name caller there. (Going so far as to call Pat Friend and D Campbell "putzes"). Lends a lot of credibility don't you think?

Talk about getting off topic!!! I went from goobers to No Way AFA....hmm...maybe I'm not that off-topic. LOL
I guess I could start a separate post with a link but what good does that do but stir the pot up even more? And I need to conserve energy. Maybe I'll have some goobers---protein, ya know.

Dapoes...we agree on something!! ;)
Actually, I'm sure you are a good f/a, trying to do your best, as do I...I guess we just see things differently about getting things in writing. And despite what you may think, I'm not a rabid AFA supporter (I have questions about some of their methodolgy/tactics) but I just feel we need a contract with so many f/a's and a mgt team that is not the "old Delta" that I grew up with.
Are you sure your not rabid? :lol:
BTW, we've all been dissed (usaviation bloggers) on the Facebook/NO WAY AFA site. (Well, maybe not you).
But we've basically been described (pro contract peeps) as bitter and irrelevant. Oh yeah, and "conspiracy theorists."
What's really interesting is the gentleman who is one of the "officers" of the group lists no name-calling in the rules yet, he is the biggest name caller there. (Going so far as to call Pat Friend and D Campbell "putzes"). Lends a lot of credibility don't you think?
Well I think both sides get heated and puffy...just like here. :p
Talk about getting off topic!!! I went from goobers to No Way AFA....hmm...maybe I'm not that off-topic. LOL
I guess I could start a separate post with a link but what good does that do but stir the pot up even more? And I need to conserve energy. Maybe I'll have some goobers---protein, ya know.
Without some good old "pot stirring" it would be rather boring i must say.... ;)

XOXO

BTW, we've all been dissed (usaviation bloggers)
But we've basically been described as bitter and irrelevant. Oh yeah, and "conspiracy theorists."

its always..something..

I went and read that comment... I found it interesting they would describe people here as bitter when there are nearly 10 thousand members from all airlines and its a public forum, how do they even know if the individuals posting are actually Flight Attendants accross all the forums in the first place you know? I wouldn't worry about those kind of petty comments, I am sure they will be deleted like most of the content on that site.

and to keep it on topic....its my opinion peanuts should be deleted from the aircraft because of the peanut allergy.

I wouldn't worry about those kind of petty comments, I am sure they will be deleted like most of the content on that site.

As of 2 minutes ago, the "putzes" comment had not been deleted. (Under "Fair and Equitable", 11th post down.) The only comments I've seen deleted are from one particular AFA activist.
It is interesting though, that not 5 minutes after I posted the comment here, a woman posted a reminder on the No Way "wall" to keep posts respective (I think she meant respectful) and no name-calling.

As of 2 minutes ago, the "putzes" comment had not been deleted. (Under "Fair and Equitable", 11th post down.) The only comments I've seen deleted are from one particular AFA activist.
It is interesting though, that not 5 minutes after I posted the comment here, a woman posted a reminder on the No Way "wall" to keep posts respective (I think she meant respectful) and no name-calling.
Putz = Pat Friend, doesn't sound so bad....does it? ;)

Wow, DL/NWA must have gotten a good deal on the peanuts.
Is the big peanut scare over or will people pass up the peanuts for fear of eating them whether they are allergic or not?
Way to save a few $$$$.

Anyone know of anyone with pretzel allergies? :lol:

<<<<<<<<<<<<-------------------------has sung for Peanut Corp of America in Georgia.

Now I know most of the airline peanut snack packs are distributed by King Nut, who did not source their product from PCA. Nevertheless, why even mess with peanuts on an airplane? Do the foreign carriers toss a bag of peanuts to their coach customers?

Pretzels get smashed and take up volume space. Peanuts do neither.

WWBCD? (what would Bob Crandall do?)

sometimes I just do not know what to think!

this is what I do not understand with some sites...first its "We are so happy to have you join us".."Welcome, Welcome Welcome."(while spitting out sunshine and rainbows)

the n e x t comment is "you bunch of bitter blah blah blah.." this is how it comes across to me...

"Hi there and welcome to our group!! We are just thrilled to have you with us today.. you bunch of bitter pot stirring conspiracy theorists"... I mean come on already...

either honk the Welcome Wagon horn or not.. but for goodness sakes pick a theme and stick with it!

is it asking to much to be consistent?!