Good bye to my family

drifterreno

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
I just wanted to say good bye to all of my old friends and people who were like family to me at USAirways. Yes, I am finally leaving and really retiring from the airline industry.
You see SOME of those at the top don't believe in family or making a small mistake in a time of need. I won't go into it in detail right now, but I wanted you to know I won't be back--even though my job was offered back.
I do want to take the time to thank some of the best supervisors this company has. CS my last sup was and is amazing. She really understood the true meaning of making the customer happy. Thanks for also being a friend. Then there's D and B still there. You two were always thoughtful of me and I'm sure you both would do the same as I have.
Don't take things out on your new manager. She's a top notch person and she will do right by you. Unfortunantely I'm having a hard time telling her I won't be back. I'd love to just to be working with her again, but finances must come first right now.
I love you all--phxmama you're a true friend and we will meet someday--Chris you're also amazing and it was fun on our flight--gee we were the first. Peggy this will be a shock to you--as it is to me--we'll keep in touch. Piney Bob and Art--and old guy too--old guy you know how I liked to help our customers. You guys keep up the hard work you do for the front line employees. They're a great bunch of people.--Tad--what can I say--I'll see you soon as I have to come move my Mom due to illness. I love you all and that may have been the problem--offering someone a ride to see their Mom in icu--and a retiree at that that I didn't know. But you all must stick together.
It is with a tear in my eyes that I wish you all a good bye and thanks for being there.

Drifterreno,

Good luck in your new endeavors. I mean you no ill will or anything but while I enjoyed your sentiments it was obvious you didn't have clue one about this company or your role in it. It is not about family, being nice or taking care of each other. While those are worthwhile secondary or tertiary concerns you said it yourself in that financial concerns led you to take this path.

The company's financial concerns lead them down the path they are going which is to ignore the customer and focus on the short term numbers for the interest of the investors.

Customers, employees and care has nothing to do with this business. It is about making money no matter who we piss off.

Does not everyone already understand this? Really?

Did I need to get officially chewed out and reprimanded last week because I had the safety and security of my passengers and my aircraft and the company's scheduling integrity first and foremost in my mind? I guess I did because while I protected the company and their aircraft from serious governmental action they reprimanded me for screwing up their schedule.

Oh, they refused to call out reserves to protect the operation because that would cost them some short term cash flow problems. They would rather cancel three flights than pay a couple of reserves $1,000 to get the plane into position to protect the schedules. And they had to pay for 5 crewmembers at a non-sked hotel at $250 per room plus an extra day's pay for the crew because they didn't want to pay the reserves and the get the plane back into position 4 hours earlier than they had it which resulted in the three canceled flights.

I'm dead on serious about this. I gave a heads up to scheduling, dispatch, maintenance and others involved so they could begin to plan 5 hours in advance. But it isn't within their job descriptions to be pessimistic about a severely broken airplane at a curfew restricted airport to plan for.

This kind of thing happens on a daily basis with many crews both east and west.

It isn't about us, the passengers, our fellow employees, how much "familial atmosphere" we can create in our work areas. It is about how we can maximize the revenue at any cost including breaking the law, ignoring our customers and making our immediate management supervisors look good.

That is what this business is about. Don't worry about how to break the news to your sup. She/he could absolutely care less I can guarantee you.

Captain Bob.

Captain. It isn't the top that I was talking about. It was the front line employees from coast to coast who felt like family to me. I hope you pilots both east and west work things out among yourselves. I know what seniority means--but mine was taken with the merge. I still stayed though because of the front line employees who I felt close to.
I loved talking to and helping my former friends on the East and enjoyed telling the West how not to take things out on the East--we were all in the same boat.
I thank you Capt for being responsible to your passangers and being legal too. I'd hate to see anyone take lives just to make a buck.
Yes, I'm an optomist and was even that way with the merge, but you know what--I'm too old to be put through the stress anymore. I'm working at a wonderful, clean, friendly, call center. Gee I have to work Memorial Day but guess what we're going to be able to watch a movie provided by the company with pop corn to get us off the phones for awhile on a holiday. That's nice and it isn't call after call--they actually work in a 15 second between calls to give us a breath--you'd be suprised how much that 15 seconds seems when you're busy.
Anyway, no more rose colored glasses for me---I'm in for the good life from now on.
Just everyone be good to your fellow worker--cause no one else will.

driftereno....

so sorry to hear you are leaving....but
hopefully you will enjoy your new endeavors.

Most of the employees here are usairways are great folks...trying to do their best everyday...
I know you were always kind and big hearted...
it is too bad this company doesn't appreciate the wonderful employees they have.

all the best!

I will miss you Reno. I started out with PSA in Reno. I think you made good choice and I truly hope everything works out for you. Best of luck!

There is not alot I say after others here except to wish you the best in all you do. I know you will be so much happier. It's such a shame that this company could care less about employees or customers.

I also wish you the best and thank you for your determination to stay in the company/merged as long as you have. I am dismayed that this company is losing quality employees like you in droves. I'm sure you led by example. Let's hope that your example rubbed off on those who follow. :)

Drifter,

I would like to thank you for your dedicated service and for always looking out for us the customers. It is sad that US is losing someone like you.

I wish you all the best in the future, and if there is any way I could ever repay your kindness please feel free to contact me.

And this does not have to be goodbye--we look forward to your keeping in touch with us on these boards

Best of everything--you truly deserve it.

Art

Drifterreno,

Good luck in your new endeavors. I mean you no ill will or anything but while I enjoyed your sentiments it was obvious you didn't have clue one about this company or your role in it. It is not about family, being nice or taking care of each other. While those are worthwhile secondary or tertiary concerns you said it yourself in that financial concerns led you to take this path.

The company's financial concerns lead them down the path they are going which is to ignore the customer and focus on the short term numbers for the interest of the investors.

Customers, employees and care has nothing to do with this business. It is about making money no matter who we piss off.

Did I need to get officially chewed out and reprimanded last week because I had the safety and security of my passengers and my aircraft and the company's scheduling integrity first and foremost in my mind? I guess I did because while I protected the company and their aircraft from serious governmental action they reprimanded me for screwing up their schedule.

Oh, they refused to call out reserves to protect the operation because that would cost them some short term cash flow problems. They would rather cancel three flights than pay a couple of reserves $1,000 to get the plane into position to protect the schedules. And they had to pay for 5 crewmembers at a non-sked hotel at $250 per room plus an extra day's pay for the crew because they didn't want to pay the reserves and the get the plane back into position 4 hours earlier than they had it which resulted in the three canceled flights.

I'm dead on serious about this. I gave a heads up to scheduling, dispatch, maintenance and others involved so they could begin to plan 5 hours in advance. But it isn't within their job descriptions to be pessimistic about a severely broken airplane at a curfew restricted airport to plan for.

It isn't about us, the passengers, our fellow employees, how much "familial atmosphere" we can create in our work areas. It is about how we can maximize the revenue at any cost including breaking the law, ignoring our customers and making our immediate management supervisors look good.

That is what this business is about. Don't worry about how to break the news to your sup. She/he could absolutely care less I can guarantee you.

Captain Bob.

This post deserves a thread of its own and I'd encourage you to do that. It is a prime example of "not seeing the forest for the trees" thinking that pervades this company now. Remember "Ideas that Fly" and other employee suggestion programs? Coming up with viable solutions that save the company money? If employees thought that they'd listen, we could save this company a fortune. Your foresight was ignored and that's a morale killer for sure. I'm glad you have a place to vent with others who understand!

Drifter,

I would like to thank you for your dedicated service and for always looking out for us the customers. It is sad that US is losing someone like you.

I wish you all the best in the future, and if there is any way I could ever repay your kindness please feel free to contact me.

And this does not have to be goodbye--we look forward to your keeping in touch with us on these boards

Best of everything--you truly deserve it.

Art
Thanks Art--next time you're my way let's have coffee. I know you know the true story. You are a great person and truly are an assett to mankind.

It isn't the top that I was talking about. It was the front line employees from coast to coast who felt like family to me.

sky high states: It IS like family here...(with dysfunctional parents). We've made friends, watched co-workers get married, have children. Shared good times and bad. And, :lol: if you have over 15 years, we've all watched the GREY HAIR come in.
I think we have all struggled with the decision the past few years. But, in reality, the real struggle is to support yourself here now.

When your spirit struggles or dies, 8 hours per day, it's time for change......

Be happy with your decision. Happy TRAILS.

only stating opinions

Drifterreno,

Captain Bob.
I'm guessing you are east. If not, then I retract the following because I can not speak for west operations...

You live in your little corner of the world and assume you know the ins and outs of the airline. You're wrong. Your statement about NOT calling out reserves is one of the most assinine statements I've seen on this board. In the situation you describe, reserves IF AVAILABLE would have been called out to protect the operation(if you have any clue whatsoever, you would know that there were no rsvs avl on most eqp last week). Who do you think makes the decision to recrew? The scheduler? Wrong. It crosses departmental lines in includes mtc, pcd, a/c routing and dispatch.

As for "the company" breaking laws, just who is this "company" you speak of. Again, assuming you are east, operational decisions are made in the OCC, and you would be hard pressed to find a "company man/woman" in teh positions that make decisions.

Get a clue bud, or at the very least, research your rants before you put them to text. Every thing that you said above is just your jaded view of things, so very far from the reality of the daily operation and the employees of the OCC.

Maybe it's time for you to move on and get a job where your integrity isn't compromised.