Good Europe Non-rev Destination

night_ice

Advanced
Nov 26, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Although Rome is the place to go, but hear that weight restrictions can be a bear getting out of Rome, even with seats open. What other European destination is a great place to visit for a non-rev? Planning a trip over there in a few weeks, so if anyone has any advice, let me know...

Late May and early June is a great time for Switzerland, or there is a little village in Austria called Hallstadt. You could fly into Frankfurt and take the train. If your into mountains and natural beauty you can't beat it.

night_ice said:
... weight restrictions can be a bear getting out of Rome, even with seats open ...
Is this true? Do the A330s have trouble making it FCO-PHL with a full load?

yea its a 10.5 hour flight, and i was talking about the summeritme light years, its very difficult to get almost anywhere!

Depends on what you want to do. Just did Madrid in Jan/Feb and had a great time. Fairly inexpensive too on lodging and food (wine/beer!). About an hour and a half train ride out of Madrid and you are in the old cities of Toledo or Segovia. Great history there.
London (and environs) is also a great trip. If you havent done the tourist London, you can do it in a couple days on the tube/bus. Saw "We Will Rock You" in the East End on the cheap (also available were Jerry Springer, The Opera) and most of the other shows now playing if you like that, or just go pub hopping at night. You could also rent a car and head out to Stonehenge and then to the Southern Shore. Beautiful scenery and lots of fresh air.
It all depends on what you want to do. What are some things you might be interested in? History, clubbing, museums, nature, etc? (Anything cheap! :shock: )

The best times that I have had in Europe were in Eastern Europe. The people are much more friendly and the cost much lower. My favorite 2 have been Vilnius Lithuania and in the Carpathian Mountains in Romania (Dracula's castle). Both places are very easy to get to. Especially with the new Zed fares on Lufthansa and Lithuanian.

I was just in Athens and it was great. Fly CLT-FRA as it's often open and buy one of those new zone fare space-A tickets to ATH for about $100 roundtrip on LH. LH flies big planes between FRA and ATH so it's usually easy to get a seat. Tons to do in Athens too!

SalesGuyCCY said:
I was just in Athens and it was great. Fly CLT-FRA as it's often open and buy one of those new zone fare space-A tickets to ATH for about $100 roundtrip on LH. LH flies big planes between FRA and ATH so it's usually easy to get a seat. Tons to do in Athens too!
I guess you and Zues both have something in common

;)

PineyBob said:
Well speaking as tourist I love AMS. Lot's of museums and a host of things to do. Restaurants are good and diverse as is the beer. Take a train ride to Brugge in Belguim. It is stunning, a medieval city untouched by 2 world wars.

People are friendly in Holland and nearly everyone speaks english. Just a thought
I recommend that too. In fact, Ive done just that. AMS; train ride to BRU and Brugge.

tadjr said:
Depends on what you want to do. Just did Madrid in Jan/Feb and had a great time. Fairly inexpensive too on lodging and food (wine/beer!). About an hour and a half train ride out of Madrid and you are in the old cities of Toledo or Segovia. Great history there.
London (and environs) is also a great trip. If you havent done the tourist London, you can do it in a couple days on the tube/bus. Saw "We Will Rock You" in the East End on the cheap (also available were Jerry Springer, The Opera) and most of the other shows now playing if you like that, or just go pub hopping at night. You could also rent a car and head out to Stonehenge and then to the Southern Shore. Beautiful scenery and lots of fresh air.
It all depends on what you want to do. What are some things you might be interested in? History, clubbing, museums, nature, etc? (Anything cheap! :shock: )
Well, Madrid is on my short list, especially since 3-11. I want to show support for our Spanish friends, by visiting their country, too bad our Pres doesn't think it's worth the trip. Funny, I seem to remember the whole world pouring out support for the US after 9-11. Remember the Canadians hosting all our displaced air travellers. Remember the vigils and shows of support. But that's before we told the rest of our European cousins that we don't give a rats a** about their opinion. But I digress.

Madrid is on my must go list.

I would have to recommend a trip to Malta. You can connect to Air Malta (KM) out of LGW,AMS, FRA, and several other cities. Not sure if they're participating in Zed or not, but LH also goes to MLA, as well as some other carriers. Weather and people are great; lots of history as well. Definitely worth going a bit out of your way for.