Great To Be Sr At Res For Hp--read This

drifterreno

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
I have almost forgotten to tell you all about what we call "core" bid. You see the top percentage--I think it's 3% but not sure since I don't fall there--of res agents get to choose their own shift. Yes, you read this right. They pick their time to work and their days off. They bid first and they get what they want.
We also have many part timers. They work either 5 days 4 hours or 5 days 5 hours or 4 days 8 hours. Isn't this something inovative?? They really do try and bend over backward to help agents out.

drifterreno said:
I have almost forgotten to tell you all about what we call "core" bid. You see the top percentage--I think it's 3% but not sure since I don't fall there--of res agents get to choose their own shift. Yes, you read this right. They pick their time to work and their days off. They bid first and they get what they want.
We also have many part timers. They work either 5 days 4 hours or 5 days 5 hours or 4 days 8 hours. Isn't this something inovative?? They really do try and bend over backward to help agents out.
[post="283558"][/post]​

That's nice. You mean the top % seniority or the top % performance?
To seniority in Res is about 1965- They can pretty much get any shift they would want so what is the point of picking your own? What if the top 3% pick the exact same time and day off?
Or, are you saying the top 3% bid , and the others are assigned to shifts. Just curious.
Can you answer this- does AW have a ticketing, rates, group etc departments? Specialty agents?
Where are they located?

EightySix said:
That's nice. You mean the top % seniority or the top % performance?
To seniority in Res is about 1965- They can pretty much get any shift they would want so what is the point of picking your own? What if the top 3% pick the exact same time and day off?
Or, are you saying the top 3% bid , and the others are assigned to shifts. Just curious.
Can you answer this- does AW have a ticketing, rates, group etc departments? Specialty agents?
Where are they located?
[post="283581"][/post]​

Tempe has ticket by mail, international, groups, the "help desk"/superagent desk, travel agent help desk, etc..... Reno if I am not mistaken has just general sales and the help desk.

Reno has RA-reservation assistance. They also do all SRD's--flt canx, schedule changes, etc., and all agents are trained in international. If they get a Flight Fund call and can handle it--make a reservation--they do that too. By the way, we are not "slammed" yet.

I realize there are certain groups that you want to handle certain problems (International, groups, etc) but one of the things I see at US that bogs us down is being so specialized (in many departments). If someone at rez gets a call, in most instances they should be able to handle it, reissue ticket and be done. Not set up reissue and queue it to someone else to do or transfer, etc. I can tell you quite a few slip thru the cracks and cause problems down the road. Except in rare instances someone ought to be able to do the complete transaction and be done with it.
Same thing with splitting groups at the airport. If you want CARS to handle assist customers only, thats fine, but to split the CS group into tiny little categories is NOT conducive to being MORE productive or customer friendly. In the larger stations you might be able to get away with it more, but in smaller stations it causes problems for employees and customers alike. Why are "those" agents just standing there not helping with the line? Because they cant. Why arent "those" agents able to print out what I need? Because they cant. Why cant "those" agents just take my money for my pet instead of sending me to another place to wait for help? Because they cant. Why arent USAirways employees more productive? Because of the way its set up, THEY CANT BE.

How 'bout pay and work schedules based on merit and productivity?

Dump that asinine seniority system. You goofballs shouldn't be playing with weapons you don't understand.

From pilots all the way to the rampers.

Might. Just. Work.

whatkindoffreshhell said:

Dump that asinine seniority system. You goofballs shouldn't be playing with weapons you don't understand.

Might. Just. Work.
[post="283840"][/post]​

How are you going to decide "merit and productivity" for work schedules? Just because Johnny (who doesnt do crap) gets along with supvr/manager and someone else doesnt (who actually works), who is going to get the better schedule? I still have to wonder how some people are still here after all these years of evaluations. Certainly the supervisors werent observing the same kind of work ethic and productivity that the rest of us were, otherwise we'd be a couple more agents short by now. :down:
Same goes for pay. What are you going to base it on? Letters? How many international reissues someone does? Getting their mandatory training done before anyone else? In theory it would be wonderful. In the real world, unless you kissed a$$, it would suck. (No thanks, I dont need a kleenex.) :shock:

tadjr said:
How are you going to decide "merit and productivity" for work schedules? Just because Johnny (who doesnt do crap) gets along with supvr/manager and someone else doesnt (who actually works), who is going to get the better schedule? I still have to wonder how some people are still here after all these years of evaluations. Certainly the supervisors werent observing the same kind of work ethic and productivity that the rest of us were, otherwise we'd be a couple more agents short by now. :down:
Same goes for pay. What are you going to base it on? Letters? How many international reissues someone does? Getting their mandatory training done before anyone else? In theory it would be wonderful. In the real world, unless you kissed a$$, it would suck. (No thanks, I dont need a kleenex.) :shock:
[post="283850"][/post]​

Don't give me a thousand reasons why this won't work!

Tell me
how how you are going to make it work.

Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity here to make history folks. Don't blow it.

First of all, core is based on %seniority. If you do the time you get rewarded.
Second, res used to base raises on productivity and merit. Never got a raise under that system as I came in too late, but, They went to anual raises because some of those working and working hard just wern't getting enough raises. We're still low man on the totem pole in salarys and with the price of gas at $2.50 a gallon--at the cheep stations--and having most of spread out from Fernlley to Carson Valley and Stead it takes us lots and lots of money to get to work. There is a rumor going around that we're going to get our raise in October--they stopped them because we voted in a union and were waiting for a contract. But I think Doug has seen another side of it when we can't afford to drive to work. $8.19 an hour after 2 years isn't much. With the rising cost of living in Reno--you can't get an apartment for under $600 a month--we need it really bad. But again, it's a great place to work.

Don't give me a thousand reasons why this won't work!

Tell me
how how you are going to make it work.

Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity here to make history folks. Don't blow it.
[post="283854"][/post]​

Well, since YOU proposed it, why dont you tell us how YOU think it should work. ;) I've given you examples of some of the problems that would have to be overcome for it TO work. What are your answers to those situations?
I'd personally love to see it happen cause I know I'd get a raise. I'm already threatening to start charging my fellow agents who keep asking me to do their work. Need a ZED, go see him. Need an International reissue, go see him. That will be $1.00 per transaction for me doing YOUR job, fellow agents. :rolleyes:

Might. Just. Work.
[post="283840"][/post]​

I think years of experience will work a whole lot better than a nose up the butt., Its obvious you're going places with Usairways. :rant: :down: :censored:

tadjr said:
Well, since YOU proposed it, why dont you tell us how YOU think it should work. ;) I've given you examples of some of the problems that would have to be overcome for it TO work. What are your answers to those situations?
I'd personally love to see it happen cause I know I'd get a raise. I'm already threatening to start charging my fellow agents who keep asking me to do their work. Need a ZED, go see him. Need an International reissue, go see him. That will be $1.00 per transaction for me doing YOUR job, fellow agents. :rolleyes:
[post="283877"][/post]​

Fair enough.

With all the web-based software available, institute a 'piece-work' ranking system (i.e. how many jobs are successfully completed in a prescribed amount of time) -- no need to re-invent the wheel here either folks. Just find out how jetBlue evaluates those soccer-mom reservations working from home in Utah.

You are being measured anyway, so keystroke-logging should not be a problem.

Of course attendance & punctuality should be factored in, other union shops live with the arrangement.

Have you ever called WN for a reservation? Those people leave you feeling good about your phone call and choice of carriers. Attitude.

Your best customers should have a personal sales advocate at your company. Not a group or department, but a PERSON (or maybe even a TEAM of two).

Give your rez agents some sales incentives/commissions to increase their pay.
Wonderful motivation!

Before you scoff at these suggestions remember that the crusty airline types would have laughed at the notion of reservationists being two thousand miles away from their supervisors (a la jetBlue).

Be bold. It can be done. Do it.

Give your rez agents some sales incentives/commissions to increase their pay.
Wonderful motivation!

Before you scoff at these suggestions remember that the crusty airline types would have laughed at the notion of reservationists being two thousand miles away from their supervisors (a la jetBlue).

Be bold. It can be done. Do it.
[post="284028"][/post]​
[/quote]

Most of USAirways res agents are already more than 2000 miles away from anyone in the company, in San Salvador, Mexico, Manilla.
Give them incentives? What, like raise their salary from 2.00 and hour to 2.10 an hour?
USairways sees reservations as a necessary evil- they wouldn't have res centers at all if they could get away with it. The philosphy for reservations, at least for the last couple of years- has been answer the call- get them on the phone then get them off as quickly as possible. I hope the new management of res ( without Kerry Carstairs) will change the corporate culture as far as reservations goes. It used to be a wonderful place to work.

Signs hanging in RNO res--Friendly and very helpful!!! Yes, we have time management, but we get incentives for booking first class 30 hours prior to flight--$5.00 per upgrade and we are complimented and given "treats" for being found to be helpful and friendly. I have found my res work is again a great job. HP made it so, and I am actually within my KPI's. How many of you out there have gotten a 100% monitor only to have it followed by "but-----------:" Well, I've now had about 8 or 9 perfect monitors with no "buts". Our supervisors are kind, friendly and helpful to us as agents. Our management walks around with a smile on her face and doesn't sneak up on anyone to try and catch them doing something wrong. She' a very aproachable person and is there to help us get through whatever we need to do. All in all--Your job will get better.

Latest posts