Growth Opportunities In Airline Maintenance

Mercer Study Reveals Growth Opportunities in Airline Maintenance, Repair, and Overhaul

"The worldwide commercial aircraft MRO market is reportedly estimated at around $37 billion annually, with as much as half of all U.S. carriers' MRO work now performed by outside vendors here and overseas. "

"Carriers that have traditionally "insourced" maintenance are refocusing themselves on core competencies and sending non-core work to third-party providers." Competencies??? :blink:

"Airline executives surveyed by Mercer confirmed the optimism displayed by MRO providers. Nearly all intend to increase outsourcing or keep it constant. Contrary to quality concerns that may have held back outsourcing growth in the past, most of the airline executives reported that outsourcing resulted in increased quality or the same level of quality. Only a few reported a decrease in quality."

For those of us furloughed from maintenance, I guess it's time to go back to school.

The viability of an AMT career is basically gonna skip my generation. Maybe the kids going in to it today can weather the storm and eventually make out pay wise. Looking back, getting laid off right away was the best thing that could have happened to me.

repeet said:
Mercer Study Reveals Growth Opportunities in Airline Maintenance, Repair, and Overhaul

"Airline executives surveyed by Mercer confirmed the optimism displayed by MRO providers. Nearly all intend to increase outsourcing or keep it constant. Contrary to quality concerns that may have held back outsourcing growth in the past, most of the airline executives reported that outsourcing resulted in increased quality or the same level of quality. Only a few reported a decrease in quality."

BIG FAT LIARS!!!!!! UAIR must rework EVERY aircraft that visits those "quality" 3rd party maintenance providers.

Airline execs are playing with fire :angry:

All i remember from my time at an "MRO" is that we never actually fixed anything, we deferred everything. It was cheaper to have us do the inspection , but It cost the client more to have us do the actual repairs. That flat fee looks awsome till the write ups start comming in and that 10$ an hour "non A&P worker" is billed at 130+$ an hour.